• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Eugene Sandow

Would sandow have been a freak in todays day in age

• Yes

Votes: 10 41.7%
  • No

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Maybe so

Votes: 8 33.3%

• Total voters
dilatedmuscle

dilatedmuscle

Mecca Super-*****
VIP
Do you guys think Eugene Sandow wouldve been a freak if he were a contemporary bodybuilder with todays advances in nutrition and muscle enhancing drugs?
SandowEugene1889byHenryVanderWeyde281838-1.jpg

eugensandow-1.jpg

3922751115561496081eugensandow3_1890-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
philosopher

philosopher

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I think he would. His body looks amazing for his time. I think even at this moment there are lots of peopel who would be pleased to look like that

dilatedmuscle

dilatedmuscle

Mecca Super-*****
VIP
i would say yes because of his overall development especially in his arms, shoulders and legs while doing ghetto ass workouts that were done back in the day... those workouts were before "the basics" lol

Zigurd

Zigurd

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
No, because he wouldn't want to.
He studied the Greek statues and didn't want to be bigger. He achieved what he believed was perfection, why go beyond what you consider perfect ?

Either way I voted maybe so. He clearly has the genetics to be huge.

MrChewiebitums

MrChewiebitums

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
hed get a heart attack if he saw what people today are capable of becoming.... lumbering beasts whom we previously thought was something only seen in films

anyways for all we know he managed to figure out a few things by himself. obviously he trained and did the basics correctly, even though knowledge was extremely limited back then. clearly he did what it took to achieve muscle hyperthropy.

dilatedmuscle

dilatedmuscle

Mecca Super-*****
VIP
He studied the Greek statues and didn't want to be bigger. He achieved what he believed was perfection, why go beyond what you consider perfect ?

i think he studied greek statues because thats all he knew from the perspective of physical aesthetics... if he was bodybuilding in these days he would look at greek statues and concider them to have average physiques. in todays Physical Fitness world perfection goes beyond what the statues appeared to be.

none the less. anything would be possible if he were around this day in age.. there would be a possibility that he woulndt have even gotten into bodybuilding simply because of different circumstances... anyways, if im not mistaked, he is the first man to put bodybuilding on the map, before then it was only power lifting. ( Acheivement Unlocked ) lol

pakiman

pakiman

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
He definately would have been as successful as he was in the early 1900s. He was a true freak of nature... PLEASE look at the "Natural" competitors of this day and age and comare them (ANY ONE OF THEM) with Eugene and you would realize what an amazing freak of nature he truely was!:headbang:

Natureboypkr

Natureboypkr

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
In my opinion, if you consider all the training, supplementation, and nutrition knowledge of today he would be a solid bodybuilder/strongman.

Pickle

Pickle

Team Winklaar
VIP
I dont think he'd make it, His genetics dont seem that good. Hips and shoulders are not a good starting point.

If he had access to todays everything and was competeting id say he wouldnt even earn a pro card. Doesnt mean I dont think he could have a great physique I just dont see him being crazy huge with that structure.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
tkD

tkD

Administrator
Staff
VIP
Maybe, but i think he probably would've been more like a strongman like Natureboypkr said.

Natzo

Natzo

Elvira turns me on
VIP

word.

the guy would freak out if he saw Coleman!

KaiGold

KaiGold

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
This is a great article on Eugen Sandow so I thought I would post it here.

attachment.php

Eugen Sandow was remarkable not only for his great strength but also his sharp mind. An active promoter of bodybuilding and the founder of the world's first chain of fitness centers, as well as a sports nutrition brand, he served as an inspirational figure for people like Arnold Schwarzenegger.
"The father of modern bodybuilding" Eugen Sandow is a cult figure for millions of bodybuilders around the world, including celebrities like Arnold Schwarzenegger. He didn’t just have big muscles and incredible strength, but also possessed sharp business acumen. It is thanks to Sandow that bodybuilding became universally popular and has been transformed into a multi-billion-dollar business today.

Eugen Sandow was born in 1867 to a German father and Russian mother. His name at birth was Friedrich Wilhelm Müller, but for his career he decided to use a pseudonym based on his mother's "colorful" Slavic maiden name of Sandov.

Like most prominent "self-made" bodybuilders, Eugen was skinny and sickly child. He embarked on a training programme in pursuit of the clear goal of completely changing his physique. He also became a medical student, studying human anatomy and physiology. This knowledge came in very useful when he left his native Königsberg (now the Russian Baltic exclave city of Kaliningrad) to promote bodybuilding around the world.

The strongman
Famous German strongman Ludwig Durlacher, known as Professor Attila, played a big role in the making of Sandow as an athlete. Under his mentor's guidance, Eugen rapidly turned from a skinny teenager into a beefed-up athlete.

Sandow travelled the world and lived in Belgium, Britain and the U.S., where he worked as a circus strongman. He was not a giant at all - he was 5' 6" (170cm) tall and weighed 176lbs (80kg). However, he had enormous strength hidden behind these modest vital statistics.

The athlete's tricks of strength were amazing. Eugen could do several hundred press-ups in a row, he could perform back-flips while holding two 60lbs (27kg) weights in his outstretched hands, support the weight of three horses on a platform on his chest, and lie down on his back and get up again holding a 250lbs (115kg) barbell.
The businessman

Despite his impressive achievements, it is unlikely that the name of Eugen Sandow would have survived to this day had he remained a circus strongman. In the event, the athlete's ambitions went much further.
In 1897, when he was 30, Eugen launched one of the world's first lines of nutritional supplements for sportsmen and published a monthly sports magazine. The Sandow brand name also featured on sporting equipment and - difficult though it may be to believe today - even on cigarette packets (although the athlete himself, of course, advocated a healthy lifestyle).
5e2714f515e9f96d2e2b1d86-1.jpg

Getty Images

The talented businessman opened a chain of fitness clubs, both for ordinary people and more affluent enthusiasts of physical exertions. The posh clubs had thick Persian carpets, gilded mirrors and sports equipment in aristocratically white finishes.
Sandow's gyms sprang up in Britain, New Zealand, South Africa and Japan. They actively promoted a set of exercises devised by Eugen for all ages - the so-called Sandow System, interest in which survives to this day.
Friend of Writers and Royals

Hard though it is to believe, the creator of Sherlock Holmes and the circus strongman from East Prussia were very close friends. For many years, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle practised Sandow’s System, and, together with the sculptor Sir Charles Lawes, the three men were judges at the world's first competition to find the most perfectly developed body in 1901, more than 60 years before the first Mr Olympia arrived on the scene.
5e27155685600a456b3a58ad-1.jpg

Global Look Press

Eighty participants from all over Britain, dressed in leopard skins, gathered in the Royal Albert Hall in London to find the best bodybuilder among them. The rules for judging such competitions had not been devised yet, and it was far from easy to choose the winner. After a long selection, three contenders remained.
"The three men were all wonderful specimens, but one was a little clumsy and another a little short, so we gave the valuable gold statue to the middle one, whose name was Murray, and who came from Lancashire," recalled Conan Doyle.
In 1911, Sandow became the personal trainer to the King of England, George V. The monarch awarded him the title Professor of Scientific and Physical Culture. The 44 year-old gave up his career of record-breaking feats and began writing books on bodybuilding.
Eugen Sandow's whole life was to do with extreme displays of strength and his death proved no different. In 1925 he died from what newspapers said was brain haemorrhage several years after allegedly pulling his car out of a ditch with one hand, although his death certificate records the cause of death as aortic aneurysm. His grave, for many years left unmarked, is in Putney Vale Cemetery, London.

Source: Russia Beyond