• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Latpull down form and technique

D

DriDDeRz

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Any videos would be a great addition to have here,

common movement people seem to do is, swing their back all the way back and pulling the bar

or keeping back in straight form

grip wise

more then shoulder width apart
or
just on shoulder width

i believe this exercise is one of my hardest to do the correct form, as i don't feel any pump or like my lats are being worked

Zigurd

Zigurd

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I always get a pump doing these.

I do a wide grip and lean a little to the back. I always do a fast pull, and a very slow negative. I also try to squeeze and feel my lats, especially in the negative portion.

Works for me =/

D

DriDDeRz

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
i'll try that today, since im training back and bicep todays

and since my back width is a huge weak point for me

ive managed to really bring up my chest lately which is good

Zigurd

Zigurd

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
i'll try that today, since im training back and bicep todays

and since my back width is a huge weak point for me

ive managed to really bring up my chest lately which is good

Yeah, I've seen your facebook pics. Dem pecs bro.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
First of all; pulldowns = lame

Second; lat activation (shrugs while semi-hanging from a bar)

Third; pulldowns = lame

Fourth; there is a recent thread where I posted on the pulldown/pullup muscle recruitment. Grip width really makes little difference, prontated versus supinated does a bit.

Fifth; pump has nothing to do with growing, just like DOMS has nothing to do with growing either.

madakira

madakira

Have you tried bringing up your back doing chin ups? My back got pretty big, pretty fast with a back workout consisting of wide grip weighted chins(about shoulder width apart), close grip weighted chins (palms facing each other), and heavy dumbell rows. No matter what you do, I would definitely add some sort of chins.

D

DriDDeRz

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP

Third; pulldowns = lame

Fourth; there is a recent thread where I posted on the pulldown/pullup muscle recruitment. Grip width really makes little difference, prontated versus supinated does a bit.

Fifth; pump has nothing to do with growing, just like DOMS has nothing to do with growing either.

Understandable
but what might work for some, might not work for others in terms of different exercises

yes i know about the whole pump, doesn't mean muscle growth but doesn't it mean the muscle group is being properly worked

yeah i know about the other thread, therefor i should of posted my questions in the other thread

D

DriDDeRz

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Have you tried bringing up your back doing chin ups? My back got pretty big, pretty fast with a back workout consisting of wide grip weighted chins(about shoulder width apart), close grip weighted chins (palms facing each other), and heavy dumbell rows. No matter what you do, I would definitely add some sort of chins.

yeah chins up and ment to be king of width exercise
i used to do them, i did see a noticeable change in my back when adding them.
But im just not a huge fan of doing them, i somewhat find them boring lol

but if it works, why stop doing them i guess

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
but what might work for some, might not work for others in terms of different exercises

Huh??

I've suggested pullups/chinups instead of pulldowns. What doesn't work in terms of a pullup?

Duality

Duality

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP

Third; pulldowns = lame

lol

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
D

DriDDeRz

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Huh??

I've suggested pullups/chinups instead of pulldowns. What doesn't work in terms of a pullup?

all i was saying is that
some might get better results from different exercises

Pickle

Pickle

Team Winklaar
VIP
^ dryden im pretty sure tims point is the only people who get more benefit out of pulldowns over chins are those who refuse to do chins.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ Plus the imbalances that occur are mainly due to poor recruitment (arm dominance in back moves). So that's were the activation exercises come in.

Bulkboy

Bulkboy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ agree with tim here, as long as u can do atleast 6 pullups u should do them instead of pulldowns. pullups are king when it comes to upper back training.

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
Pullups pwn!

Last edited by a moderator:
MrChewiebitums

MrChewiebitums

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
why are pulldowns lame?

i`ve seen many pros with GREAT backs do them and not much regarding pullups. pros ranging from the super huge who probably couldnt do a pullup anyways to the pros who could have pumped out 30 easy

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ Pulldowns are lame because they have taken a very good exercise and made it easier. Exercises aren't meant to be made easier.

Pullups are hard. Most people who claim they can't do them because they are so big are also lame. All that supposed extra muscle hasn't been used to garner more strength to be able to do chinups. More muscle should equal more strength, so it really is a cop-out for heavy guys (especially when there are vids like the one Ben posted).

And since when are pros the bastion of all that is right with the world??

MrChewiebitums

MrChewiebitums

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
didnt say they are....i just mentioned it because i`m a poo-poo head and reasoned that if they could do that apart from other exercises and have a great back then it served its purpose to help build back muscle

(as well i briefly went over that article you posted in the other thread on this area)

Big_Guns_Lance

Big_Guns_Lance

Eat, lift, sleep, repeat.
VIP
Dridderz, if you cant feel your back in the pulldown/pullups, maybe its because your arms are overpowering the movement.

Any Back exercise I do, my biceps get more of a workout so ive started to pre-exaust my back, by doing nautilus pullovers and then going into a set of eith close grip chins or underhand pulldowns. You won't lift as much as you normally would do but you feel it alot more in the right places.