• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Pain behind Knee after training hamstring

GetSize

GetSize

Hi guys,

Last friday I trained Hamstrings. I did Stiff legs, and lying leg curls. After the workout I had no pain. My hamstrings were extremely pumped and felt great. The next day my hamstrings were sore but I now have a pain behind my left knee on the left side. It feels like the pain is or under the Ligament. There is no swelling that I can tell and no bruising. It hurts when I try to fully extend my leg or even sit for a long period of time. It does not bother me when walking up stairs but when trying to walk down stairs the pain is more intense specifically on the left side on the ligament. Could I have possibly pulled/torn my hamstring or even torn the ligament behind my knee? Thanks in advance for the help.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ Could be a number of things. My immediate thought is that it could be one of the underlaying tendon/ligaments that has become inflamed from the curls, or a poor position in the SLDL (too straight a knee). Tears and you would have noticed straight away.

Either way go and see a sports doctor.

GetSize

GetSize

I think it was inflammation from the ligament from doing the curls. The lying leg curls were more difficult then normal as I got heavy in my sets. I iced it last night and the pain is not as intense as yesterday and seems to be getting better. I'll just rest the hamstrings for a week or two. Thx for the reply tim.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ Leg ext and leg curls are surprisingly tough on the knee joint. Leg ext is especially tough on the ACL, leg curl on the PCL. As a result there is some transferance to the tendons and ligaments external to the knee joint.

Plus there is also not the co-contraction of the opposing/supporting muscles that help protect the knee. This is why stuff like squats and leg presses are better for the knee despite having similar forces at the joint as a curl or ext.