• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Microwaved Rice or boiled rice

P

Pain

VIP
Anyone here microwave rice? I've always found microwaved rice to be useless. Never gives me the same energy as boiled rice.

Whats your thoughts?

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
You mean just straight up normal brown rice put in a microwave rice cooker or boiled on the stove, or do you mean a microwave rice and a standard rice that you boil?

Because the only issue would be the starch and how it boils off or doesn't in the method.

P

Pain

VIP
Uncle Ben's microwaveable rice.

lifterdead

lifterdead

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I never, ever microwave rice. Always hand wash, soak, and cook on stove, Japanese style, nice and sticky.

Tech

Tech

Ron Paul FTW
VIP
the microwavable bags are so much easier.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Microwavable rice is junk in comparison to plain old brown rice.

Brown rice can be cooked in the microwave too, just takes longer and you need a rice cooker.

Tech

Tech

Ron Paul FTW
VIP
Microwavable rice is junk in comparison to plain old brown rice.

Brown rice can be cooked in the microwave too, just takes longer and you need a rice cooker.
they have microwavable brown rice...

4zuk3l-1.jpg

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Must be truely shit if it only takes 90 seconds to cook.

lifterdead

lifterdead

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Rice Cooker FTW.

I had an awesome rice cooker in Japan. During the week I just tossed rice and water in, it cooked perfectly and kept it warm all day.

1422102659_c71e4c6b96_m-1.jpg

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ I was talking about the plastic containers that you use in the microwave.

T

Tunen

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I don't have either a microwave or a cooker :(

It's almost effortless to cook them on a stove though...

BigBen

BigBen

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
You mean just straight up normal brown rice put in a microwave rice cooker or boiled on the stove, or do you mean a microwave rice and a standard rice that you boil?

Because the only issue would be the starch and how it boils off or doesn't in the method.

Tim is correct. If you are using a rice that is instant it has been precooked. By cooking the rice you heat it and when you heat starch( a lyophilic colloid) it will bind to solvent(water). When the water is drained some of the starch molecules that have binded with the water and have absorbed the water are going to be drained with it, and with the starch leaving so does your source of glucose. Like when you put clear water in and then cook pasta in the water when you dump the water off it is cloudy because of the starch in the liquid. This is called the Tyndall effect, and it is caused by colloids( larger molecules) being suspended in a solution making the solution cloudy in appearance. The starches are the colloids causing this effect. Thats is evidence that some starch is leaving your food when you cook it. If the rice manufacturer does this multiple times or for a long period of time then that much more starch is leaving the rice.

With that in mind i would have to ask what the nutrition facts are based off of, the processed rice in the box as it is bought by the customer or the brown rice before it had been processed by the company because their is definitely a difference in nutrition between the two.

Edit: your best bet is to buy rice not precooked and cook it your self. When your rice is fully cooked let the rice sit in the water for 5 minutes, so the starches in the rice will absorb more water( which is now loaded with liberated starch form your rice) because the longer a starch sits in the presence of a solvent it will absorb more solvent( starch water) then drain then eat. Your rice should be fluffier and more loaded with starch this way, and you will get more nutrition out of your rice.

God Bless :thumbsup2:
Ben

medicineman

medicineman

either use uncle bens micro rice, or the SUCCESS micro bags. both good brown rice. its just precooked, not necessarily far less qua;lity. people get too scientific with this shit.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
either use uncle bens micro rice, or the SUCCESS micro bags. both good brown rice. its just precooked, not necessarily far less qua;lity. people get too scientific with this shit.

Um no we don't.

Read Ben's post carefully. Precooked rice essentially takes all the good stuff out of the rice and leaves you with nothing. You could save yourself some money and steam up some cardboard if that is what you want.

D

DIPLOMAT007

Minute_RTS_BrownRice-1.jpg

i like these , they any good :bitenails:

G

Gringo

Cook it like tim, plastic cooker in the microwave, brown rice 14min-stir-14min done, white rice 6min-stir-5/6 min done, got the amount of water needed down to an art dont need to measure it

T

tavuthekid

i really dont like to think about where that rice has been reccoked,that is why i almost never eat out.i like to cook the rice by myself.The cooker is amazing ihave one also.Try it out i recommend it

co05

co05

Rice Cooker FTW.

I had an awesome rice cooker in Japan. During the week I just tossed rice and water in, it cooked perfectly and kept it warm all day.

1422102659_c71e4c6b96_m-1.jpg

x1000000000000 (Are you, by chance, Japanese?)

But, yeah, microwavable rice is a mockery of good, old fashion cooked rice. Aside from all the nutritional concerns, it doesn't taste nearly as good or have a texture even close to cooked rice.