• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Training legs while doing 4+ miles of running a day

P

Pain

VIP
I've really got into running over the past few months. I tend to do around 4+ miles a day. Usually I'll do a 2 mile run in the am and 2 mile run in the pm.

I haven't done bb squats in several weeks, been sticking to leg curls and bodyweight squats.

Whats the best way to incorporate both into one routine? Lay off the running and include a proper leg workout or just keep doing what I'm doing?

P

Pain

VIP
My main focus is running right now but I still want to build strength in my legs.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Well strength is possible, but size would be a tough ask.

The main issue is to stike the balance between recovery from each. Generally you need to stick to the heavier training with the bigger weights. Hypertrophy isn't the goal and thus you can attack the training a little differently.

Pick at least one day a week to hit the weights for legs.
Keep the work sets above 80% of your max, preferably above 90%.
Do the big exercises, not the little stuff (calves being the exception). Doing hammy work is especially important for runners.
Training to failure or lots of sets and exercises is not that great for DOMS and running regularly.
Hammy work should aim at being quick eccentrics. Be carefull on these for DOMS.

I'm sure there are some other points that I should be looking up.......

T

Tunen

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I agree with Tim.

I don't see any reason to do anything but Olympic squats for your quads. Couple them with GHR's leg curls.
I'd also keep the volume and frequency quite low, though I'd probably go for a heavy day and a dynamic effort day, both within the week.

The Creator

The Creator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Seeing any noticeable strength gains while increasing cardiovascular endurance is going to be near impossible past the detrained state.

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
I've read a number of statements from members of the military who are also competitive powerlifters who, despite the fact they are forced to complete large amounts of cardio as part of their PT, are still able to maintain and increase their squatting strength as long as proper attention is paid to recovery.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ True. When I was training for footy I think I only gained about 10-15kg on my squat in-season. That was hard work. Compared to when I cut the running out I was regularly lifting heavier.

I know most sporting codes that do a lot of running actually talk about strength loss minimisation.

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
There are a lot of powerlifters in the military who find it possible to do their regulation PT and still increase their squat strength. Proper recovery is the key, along with low volume leg work.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
There are a lot of powerlifters in the military who find it possible to maintain and gain squatting strength while still fulfilling their cardio requirements for PT. Pay extra attention to your recovery and you should be fine.