• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Squat Form Thread

lifterdead

lifterdead

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Perhaps we can use this thread as a place to post vids and questions related to squatting?

I'll start with a question first: How bad is a butt wink? I recently decided to trash my old squatting technique and start over again. (I dropped from squatting in the mid-300s to the mid 200s.) One of the reasons for this change was the wink; I couldn't seem to get rid of it and have been consistently told it's gonna fuck me up later.

Thoughts?

FYI, GREAT THREAD HERE (covers ALOT of squatting issues)

http://strengthmill.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1334

The Creator

The Creator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Maybe I'm just out of the loop but....whats a butt wink?

lifterdead

lifterdead

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Excessive lower back rounding, like this kid:

Mine ain't so bad, but it's still ugly.

Flex

Flex

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
That much I don't consider a problem.

I've seen far worse.

_ROBERTiNHO_

_ROBERTiNHO_

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Improve your glute, low back, hamstring and calves's flexibility.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ To add to this: the more motion you have in your spine during any lift the more chance of damage and the more shear forces.

Much better to squat properly so that even if it is lighter you can still be doing the squat (and everything else) years down the track.

Cork

Cork

Will an excess outward facing of the toes cause knee discomfort? I've pretty much perfected my form from reading so many EliteFTS articles, but my left knee is giving me problems. I've elimintated a lot of factors but I just can't be sure. My foot placement is the only thing that isn't exactly the same on every set.

As far as the pain goes, it comes on dull after my first set and stays with me for the rest of the workout. I would best describe the location in the front or over the top of my knee, possibly the patellar tendon.

CJU

CJU

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
i didnt think the guys form in the vid was bad at all. infact i think it was pretty good. a little bit of that 'butt winking' is unavoidable i think. maybe try not doing back squats for a while. i never back squat, i only front squat and box squat (which i guess is a back squat sort of, just with more emphasis on the glutes and hams)

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Will an excess outward facing of the toes cause knee discomfort? I've pretty much perfected my form from reading so many EliteFTS articles, but my left knee is giving me problems. I've elimintated a lot of factors but I just can't be sure. My foot placement is the only thing that isn't exactly the same on every set.

As far as the pain goes, it comes on dull after my first set and stays with me for the rest of the workout. I would best describe the location in the front or over the top of my knee, possibly the patellar tendon.

The direction your knees points should be the direction that your feet point. This way the knee will track in line with the feet as you squat. The more your knees extend out over your toes the more important the foot placement is.

Practice your setup on off days or any time you're in the gym. I practiced that first step out because I was spending a lot of time getting my feet set. Worked well.
CJU said:
i didnt think the guys form in the vid was bad at all. infact i think it was pretty good. a little bit of that 'butt winking' is unavoidable i think. maybe try not doing back squats for a while. i never back squat, i only front squat and box squat (which i guess is a back squat sort of, just with more emphasis on the glutes and hams)
While it wasn't the worst example I've seen his form wasn't that good.

Any time you get rounding in the lower back you have huge increases in shearing forces directly on the spine. I've had a work collegue strain his back shredding paper: what do you think a whole heap of weight on a bar squatting is going to do? :talkhand:

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
_ROBERTiNHO_

_ROBERTiNHO_

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP

Watch olympic weightlifters, sometimes in the clean they go real deep, touching the glutes to grass, literally, and never rounding lower back.