• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Help with Diet

bambam55

bambam55

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Ok so at my current job I get a breakfest and lunch free every day. Those meals tend to be a bit high in carbs. I like to take advantage of having the free food though so I dont bring my own lunch. I drink a shake upon waking before going into work with about two scoops of whey.

My biggest question is this, I drink a powdered powerade and creatine mix during my workout, somewhere around 40 carbs, do I need more carbs after my workout or just straight protein. I've been really confused on this one.

I'm looking to try to drop a little bodyfat a bit, I'm gonna start doing more cardio which I know will help on its own, just looking for a few other things here there that can help.

BigBen

BigBen

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
If your trying to drop fat then i would stop eating while your working out and stick with straight water. Have a scoop of whey protein before you workout, Iron slave posted a study a while back that provided evidance to show that a scoop of whey before exercise increases fat loss and decreases muscle loss.

As far as the excess carbs your eating at breakfast and lunch just make sure your keeping a balance when you eat at home. If you eat lots of carbohydrates in the morning and lunch, then cut back at othe rtimes like dinner and before bed.

PWO have some simple sugars and protein together, i would get rid of the gatorade and creatine during the workout.

God Bless
Ben

bambam55

bambam55

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
If your trying to drop fat then i would stop eating while your working out and stick with straight water. Have a scoop of whey protein before you workout, Iron slave posted a study a while back that provided evidance to show that a scoop of whey before exercise increases fat loss and decreases muscle loss.

As far as the excess carbs your eating at breakfast and lunch just make sure your keeping a balance when you eat at home. If you eat lots of carbohydrates in the morning and lunch, then cut back at othe rtimes like dinner and before bed.

PWO have some simple sugars and protein together, i would get rid of the gatorade and creatine during the workout.

God Bless
Ben

ok that makes sense, now my only question would be if I get rid of the gatorade/creatine during workout what amount of carbs should I shoot for post workout for the insulin response. Keep in mind I'm a big guy weigh around 225lbs right now.

youngmusclejock

youngmusclejock

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Just protein upon waking in the morning?

BigBen

BigBen

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
ok that makes sense, now my only question would be if I get rid of the gatorade/creatine during workout what amount of carbs should I shoot for post workout for the insulin response. Keep in mind I'm a big guy weigh around 225lbs right now.

The post workout insulin spike matters, but not as much as it gets credit for mattering. I disagree that their is a short window of opportunity. I do agree that you are more catabolic after a workout than any other time of the day, but you dont restore glycogen in one meal, and protein synthesis stays increases with the amount of protein eatin, until a spike is reached then the protein is converted to ATP after being broken down rather than being used to build protyeins to heal tissues.

How many total carbs are you eating throughout the day?

Take:
1. (your bodyweight in lbs) divided by (2.2)= a number.
2. (The answer to the above) multiply it by 1.5= How many carbs you should have PWO

Then just subtract that from total carbs your eating in a day to stay on track with what your doing.

God Bless
Ben

bambam55

bambam55

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
225lbs comes out to be 153 carbs pwo, that seems kinda high.

Yes Just protein shakes upon waking, I eat about 2 hours later at work. Something wrong there?

BigBen

BigBen

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
225lbs comes out to be 153 carbs pwo, that seems kinda high.

Yes Just protein shakes upon waking, I eat about 2 hours later at work. Something wrong there?

Have 100g of those post workout and 50 g in the next meal. Subtract the 150 G from your daily total.

bambam55

bambam55

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
How do you calculate the daily total you should be getting in? lol sorry to bug you, diet confuses me sometimes

BigBen

BigBen

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
You should have a set amount of calories your eating daily. You need to write out what your eating and how many G of each: protein, carbohydrates, and fat you getting each meal. If you dont know that is your first step is to find out.

THEN you can manipulate your diet in exact amounts because it is a consistent exact quantity we can know what changes to make and how to make them.

I cant tell you exactly what to eat now because i don't know what you have been eating. The formula I gave you to use was supposed to be used under the assumption you had all of this calculated already.

It is suppose to be lean body weight, not total body weight, i apologize that was my mistake.

bambam55

bambam55

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
ah ok the lean body weight clears things up. I'm gonna work on starting on food log the next couple of days if I can and then look to get some help with my diet, I completely understand what your saying though and appreciate your help

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff