• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Nerve Pain?

co05

co05

Last night I was doing a set of dips when a sharp, electric pain shoots through my left arm. It stems from the tender spot above my elbow and sends jolts up and down my arm. The pain does not feel like it's coming from the muscle and is not consistent. I can extend my arm as I type and it'll feel fine. But it does spring up sporadically with the same intensity. I've noticed it happen when I use my left arm to brace myself as I sit down or lean over to grab something.

Does anyone have any idea of what's going on and how I should go about treating it?

BigBen

BigBen

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Its not a nerve i would bet good money that your putting pressure on the tendon that is on that side of your elbow. Stop going past 90 degrees when you do dips this should help, and if it keeps repeating then stop doing dips. DOnt let the pressure of the movement run through your joint put a majority of the pressure form the lift on your muscles. Some pressure has to be in the joint because it is acting as a lever, but try to put that large majority of tension on your muscle.

Napol3onator

Napol3onator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
sounds kinda like a tommy john thing..same pain happened to me when i overused my arm pitching in baseball...hmm..if you stretch with your palm up, fingers down and back, you will gain some flexibility in those forearm muscles..assuming no tears. =)

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Stop doing anything heavy in the tricep area. Dips, skull crushers, etc are regarded as hard on the elbows.

Sharp pain is bad so go and see a sports medicine doc.

Johnny5

Johnny5

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I think it's tendonitis as well. If ever I feel a sharp pain like that anywhere on my body I stop what I'm doing, and simply rearrange my workouts around my injury.

I've gotten this as well, so you're not alone. I normally get it from doing heavy barbell curls. I also had wrist tendonitis too, but it healed (it'll never be the same as it was).

co05

co05

So dips are a no go. What's the next best movement?

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ No triceps movements for awhile.

Pressing may be even a no go for awhile.

Then go the low risk stuff like presses (bench, close grip bench, lockouts, etc), pressdowns and band extensions (bands only for high reps).