• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

The Elite Fitness Weekender Program

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
Posted by Dave Tate on the www.elitefts.com, its a write-up of the basic template he has a bunch of "novice" lifters following (they're logs are in the log section). It looks like a pretty solid system, great for those who want to balance ME work with a little extra volume (namely me). Hopefully it'll end up in an e-book one day with greater detail.

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/utb_weekender_program.htm

Under The Bar: The S-4 Weekender Program
by Dave Tate

History

I'm still not quit sure how it happened, but over the course of the past twelve months, we have attracted a group of competitive powerlifters into our gym. It was not that long ago that I retired from the sport and spent my weekends training with one or two other guys, and that was it. Jim has always had a small group of guys who train at night, but the weekends were always quiet. Now we have over twenty people every Saturday and Sunday who are all getting ready for something. There has been a progression that has happened (on purpose) that has programming implications. I'll explain this as I go along.

The reason I'm writing this is because I've been getting a lot of questions with regard to the progress people are seeing in Ted's, Molly's and Christian's training logs on the site. These questions involve their programming, but this is not exactly easy to answer as you'll see with this article.

Before these lifters came out, there was a conversation between Todd Brock, Kenny Patterson and myself regarding what we were going to do and how we would handle it. This was about the programming, but it was more about time. It takes time to coach lifters. You need to watch all the lifts, and when you have a group of five guys while you're trying to do your own training, your time in the gym doubles very fast. We did not want have to spend hours in the gym every weekend and then try to figure out how to do our own training. This is selfish, but we all work long hours and have outside obligations and families, so we needed to reassure each other that someone would always be there, at least in the beginning phases where coaching is the most critical.

So, we decided to let them in, and what I first dreaded, I've come to love and look forward to each week. Powerlifting has always been a huge part of my life, and this has allowed me to stay connected to the grassroots of the sport. I love the pro side of the sport and watching people break all-time world records, but what I enjoy most is helping people get their first elite total because so many things have to come together (mental, physical and technical) for this to happen. Also, if the job is done right by the time they get their elite, they have been trained well enough to coach others to do the same, and thus the cycle continues.

Enough of this... let's move on.

Phase 1 - Watching

I'm sure it seemed very odd to the crew when they first got there, because I really did nothing at all. We gave some advice here and there, but pretty much just let them do what they wanted. I kept myself back for a few reasons. First, I didn't want to waste my time if someone was going to stay for a few weeks and leave. I also wanted to know what their work ethic was like. Were they slacking, working hard or working too hard? Did they have any plan at all? I was also looking to see how their technique looked without any verbal cues at all. In short, we really did nothing for them for a couple of months except spot and give some pointers here and there. They learned nothing from us, but we learned a lot about them. After the first six weeks, I thought I knew all I needed to know, and then I think they all got sick of waiting around and decided to enter a meet. This f**ked up my plan big time!

Phase 2 - Gear Whore

At this point we were five or six weeks out from a meet with lifters who'd never worn gear in their lives, so it became gear whoring time. Every week was spent just getting gear that fit that they could break parallel and touch their chest with. There was NO real training at all - just pure gear testing. I think it took until the last week to get them stuff that fit well enough to use. No real time was spent learning the gear at all.

The meet was a great thing because I got to see where they were with their training, and what their competitiveness was like. Shortly after the meet, we moved the gym and I finally decided to go "all in" with this. I have not turned back since.

Phase 3 - The Weekender

I should note that while I'm the one who writes the program on the board, they have all been trained to coach each other. They know their own strengths, weak points and technical flaws. I'm also now have the help of not only Todd Brock and Kenny Patterson, but Jim Wendler, Rob Fusner, JL Holdsworth, Richard Douglas and a few others who are always looking to see how to make everyone better.

The main goal of this phase was to fix all technical flaws in and out of gear. There is a strength aspect of this program but it is not as strongly based as the phase they are doing right now. I don't see the point of training to get 10 pounds stronger when changing technical issues can add 50 pounds in the same time period. We are not talking about being an average gym rat here. We're talking about getting every single pound we can out of each individual. They could very easily have stayed with the same techniques they've been using, and they would have been making the same progress they were making, but we found what was wrong and fixed it - and in some cases 100 pounds per lift were added in 12 weeks. To me, this is not that hard of a decision but often the programming I see for intermediate lifters does not address this at all. This phase was designed for these reasons only, and now they have moved on and will never use this phase again. Training needs to build upon each phase for people to get better. This phase was just one step in this process.

Some other things to note with this program is it is built on circumstance. By this I mean I know it's not optimal, but it is the most optimal for the circumstances we're dealing with. For example, technique is a major factor in this program. There is NO WAY I want them training their main lifts without someone watching. Based on time schedules, work and location the only time we can all be together is on the weekends, thus all the main training has to happen then. With this being the main focus, everything else has to be designed around this, and this is NOT easy to do. There were many adjustments that had to be made in order to make this work.

I also have to account (as noted later) for the fact I have no idea what they will do during the week. I can make suggestions, but this only goes so far. If you have ever worked with intermediate to advanced lifters you will know exactly what I mean. You can suggest all you want, but don't assume for one second that it will happen. This is not a BAD thing at all. It is actually a great thing, as it can help regulate the program if you take this simple fact into consideration. They all think they know what they need to do, and sometimes they do, but I will guarantee that if they're beat up they will do less and if they feel great they will do more. You CAN'T program this! I can tell them exactly want to do, and demand it, but then if they feel beat up it can very well be the thing that pushes them over the edge and if they feel great it may not be enough. The only thing I told them is to make damn sure they were fresh come Saturday.

With all this in mind, take this program for what it is - based on circumstance and one step in many for a group of lifters training for their elite.

This is NOT a program for you to follow, but one to look at to get ideas from.

Monday-Friday

* No Barbell Movements

* No reps under 8

*Focus on Abs, Lower back, Horizontal Rows, Rear Delts and Restoration

Examples:

Abs - leg raises, standing cable pulls, spread eagle sit ups

Lower back / hamstrings - reverse hypers. back raises, band goodmornings, back attack, GHR, RDL's, Stiff legs

Horizontal Rows - chest supported rows, barbell rows, dumbbell rows, machine rows

Rear Delts - face pulls, rear dumbbell raises, rear delt machine

Restoration - stretching, foam roller, steam, sauna, contrast shower, trigger wheel, massage stick, light cardio

The Weekends

Percents:

The percents are based on a perceived max (PM) or contest max (CM)

Perceived Max (PM)

(PM) - 100x1 (PM) - this does not mean you work up to a 1-rep max at all. What this means is that you work up enough to guess what your 1-rep max for the day is. I like to take this one step further and say this has to be agreed on between both the lifter and coach (or training partner). On the first Saturday of this program you will see 100x1 (PM), 70% for 3 sets of 5 with a Squat Movement. One of the movements we used was the Yoke Bar Box Squat. This is an example of this training session:

Yoke Bar Box Squat
*Lifter starts with briefs on

135x5
135x5
135x5
* These are really just to loosen up.
225x5
315x3
365x3
405x3
455x1
495x1
545x1
*At this point the weight is getting heavy and we start trying to figure out what the max would be without having to do it. The lifter may say 655 while I'm thinking more along the lines of 605. Over time, this has to become the same number so when meet time comes we can rely on each other to make sure the biggest lifts are made with the least amount being left on the platform. Since this number is 50 pounds off, we decide to do one more set.

585x1
*This rep was much harder and we now agree on 625.

There are two things we are trying to do here. We are trying to get the best estimate of where the lifter's strength is on this day and at this time. When you train with percents it is VERY easy on a bad day or an off day to miss weights, as strength can fluctuate a lot. By using a (PM) we can zone in on where the actual strength is setting up a better training effect for the work sets that follow. I also wanted to limit the amount of heavy ME work done with poor technique. With the group we have technique is a HUGE factor so I did not want to see one heavy rep with bad technique. If technique broke, then we either used that weight or made our (PM) projection right on the spot.

Technique is one of the most underrated elements of training. Simple technical changes can add 10-30 pounds in one session (another reason for the (PM) being used). If this is not a critical element in your program, you are holding yourself or your athletes back.

The (PM) is finally used to set up the work sets. With the projected max we have a much closer and accurate number off which to base the work sets. If a meet max was used (or a record from months ago), then the percents could very easily end up being 10% too heavy or 10% too light. With submaximal weights this is not really a huge problem, but as the weight becomes maximal and super-maximal it can and is a giant issue that can lead to injuries and overtraining.

The work sets for this day are programmed at 70% for 3 sets of 5 - so in this case 625x70% or 437.50 (435) for 3 sets of 5 reps.

The rest between sets is based on whatever the lifter feels is needed. A good place to start would be 3-5 minutes.

Competitive Max (PM)

On week 11 you will see this workout listed:

Box Squat - 60% (CM) for 8 sets 2 reps

Competitive Max is based on your last competition max. If you do not have a meet max, then use your best gym lift. Since the percents are submaximal and this is speed work (not max effort work) I don't see the need to go off a (PM) because 10% won't matter that much and the risk of working up to a (PM) is not worth the benefit. By risk I'm speaking of technical issues, mental issues of getting burned out from going heavy all the time, and a physical risk due to overuse. You need to keep in mind that while I've made recommendations for what they should do during the week, this doesn't always mean they will use them. I have to take this into account when designing the program. I have to assume the two worst case scenarios: they go heavy on the main lifts during the week or they do nothing at all. This makes programing a nightmare, and it's the reason why you see the rotation and percents you do. In case you're wondering, both worst case scenarios happened a lot.

Movements

As you will see, there is a lot of freedom in this program. This is also for a reason. These lifters are not beginners and have all been training for many years. While only one is an elite lifter right now, all the others will be within 12 months. They have their own likes, dislikes and know what works for them and what doesn't. If it is a squat movement, I want them to do something they like to do because they will bring more to the table.

When you see Squat Movement, this can be any max effort squat exercise. We used Yoke Bar Squats, Cambered Bar Squats and Chain Suspended Squats. For Deadlift Movements we used pin pulls, pulling standing on mats, and pulls with the plates on mats. For Bench Movements we used board presses, floor presses, reverse band press and close grip incline press.

The weak point accessories were based on each individual and may have included upper back work, ab work, lower back work, hamstrings, triceps, lats, etc.

You can see the actual training if you go back and read their log entries (this cycle ended 8 weeks ago for them). These are 3 of the lifters who used this training phase

Ted Toalston

Christian Mello

Molly Edwards

Plyo's - Box Jumps and Plyo Push Ups

The jumps listed are the total volume for the day. So, 16 jumps is ALL the jumps. This is not one set but multiple sets based on the force I could see in each jump. I would like to have seen all sets be 3 reps but if the force, speed and height of the rep was lower than the first jump, the set was over.

Week 12

Sat

Gear- Briefs

Squat Movement - work up to 100x1 (PM) , 70% for 3 sets 5

Deadlift Movement- work up to 100x1 (PM) , 70% for 3 sets 5

2 weak point accessory movements

Sun

Bench Movement-work up to 100x1 (PM) , 70% for 3 sets 5

Week 11

Sat

Gear- Briefs

Speed Pulls - 50% (CM for 8 singles

Box Jumps - 12 jumps

Sun

Bench Press with Bands - 45% (CM for 8 sets 3

Plyo Push Ups - 12 pushes

Week 10

Sat

Gear- Briefs

Squat Movement - work up to 100x1 (PM) , 74% for 2 sets 5

Deadlift Movement-work up to 100x1 (PM) , 74% for 2 sets 5

Sun

Bench Movement-work up to 100x1 (PM) , 74% for 2 sets 5

Week 9

Sat

Gear- Briefs

Box Squat - 64% (CM 8 sets 2 reps

Speed Pulls - 54% (CM for 8 singles

Box Jumps - 14 jumps

Sun

Bench Press with Bands - 45% (CM for 8 sets 3

Plyo Push Ups - 14 pushes

Week 8

Sat

Gear- Full Gear with light wraps and straps down

Squat - work up to 100x1 (PM) , 78% for 3 sets 3

Deadlift Movement-work up to 100x1 (PM) , 78% for 1 set of 3

Sun

Bench Movement-work up to 100x1 (PM) , 78% for 3 sets 3

Week 7

Sat

Gear- Briefs

Box Squat - 66% (CM) for 8 sets 2 reps

Speed Pulls with Fat Bar - 40% (CM) for 8 singles

Box Jumps - 16 jumps

Sun

Bench Press with Bands - 45% (CM) for 8 sets 3

Plyo Push Ups - 16 pushes

Week 6

Sat

Gear- Full Gear with straps up and tight wrap

Squat - work up to 100x1 (PM) , 82% for 1 set of 3 reps

Deadlift Movement-work up to 100x1 (PM) , 82% for 1 set of 3 reps

Sun

Bench Movement-work up to 100x1 (PM) , 82% for 1 set of 3 reps

Week 5

Sat

Gear- Full Gear with straps down and no wraps

Box Squat - 70% (CM) for 8 sets 2 reps

Speed Pulls with Texas Squat Bar - 50 (CM) for 8 singles

Box Jumps - 12 jumps

Sun

Shirt Work

Week 4

Sat

Squat - work up to 100x1 (PM) , 86% for 1 set of 3 reps

Deadlift Movement-work up to 100x1 (PM) , 86% for 1 set of 3 reps

Sun

Shirt Work

Week 3

Sat

Speed Pulls with texas power bar - 50% (CM) for 8 singles

Box Jumps - 10 jumps

Sun

Shirt Work

Week 2

Sat

Squat - work up to 100x1 (PM) , 90% for 1 set of 2 reps

Deadlift Movement-work up to 100x1 (PM) , 90% for 2 sets of 1 rep

Sun

Shirt Work

Week 1

Sat

Box Squat - 50% (CM) for 8 sets 2 reps

Speed Pulls using old deadlift bar - 45% (CM) for 8 singles

Sun

Shirt Work

Max Week

Sat - test

Sun - test

The group has now moved on to a new training cycle that will lead them into a competition in October. This phase was used to get them ready for the phase they are doing now. The phase presented here did add 50-100 pounds to each of their lifts, but this was mostly due to technique. The program they are on now is also very technique oriented, but is the first cycle they have used since being here that has its main focus being based on strength.

As with this program, modifications are being made every single week so it's pointless to post it now.

philosopher

philosopher

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Great post Freako havent saw this one before.

Big04pimpin

Big04pimpin

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I just had this sent to my email recently. I didn't have a chance to read it all yet.

PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Seems interesting, gonna read it carefully.