• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

2009 Olympia: Can Jay Cutler make history?

tkD

tkD

Administrator
Staff
VIP
Olympia Storyline Seven: Can Cutler Make History?

by Allan Donnelly

September 23, 2009

FLEXONLINE.COM

He can't come in condition. He's washed up. He's lost it.

Jay Cutler heard it all last year, after losing his Olympia title to Dexter Jackson. And, for a while, he nearly believed it himself.

But that was for a week, tops. Since then, Cutler has been doing what he's always done - training, eating, sleeping, and, in all likelihood, outworking nearly every one of his contemporaries as he prepares to do what no competitor in the 44-year history of the Olympia has ever done before: reclaim the Sandow.

Four men have tried, all four have failed. The list is legendary. Sergio Oliva. Frank Zane. Samir Bannout. Ronnie Coleman. Giants among giants. So why can Cutler do what none has been able to do before? Why should we believe he is capable of shedding his now two-year slump, which extends back to a controversial victory over Victor Martinez in 2007, and show up in condition on the Olympia's first day?

Well we may, or we may not believe. But the bottom line is, if Cutler is capable of regaining his 2006 form - or better - the Olympia could very well be his once again. No one is bigger. No one is more overpowering. It's almost pointless to talk about any other competitors here, because the only person capable of standing in the way of title No. 3 is Cutler himself. He is his own biggest rival, his own worst enemy.

This year, all accounts have Cutler on track - big, full, round and hard - and ready to accomplish what has previously been impossible. Still, up until a week out last year, Cutler was well on his way to his third straight Olympia victory. In his own words, it was likely the best he had ever been leading up to a competition ... all the way up until three days out. But a miscalculation changed everything, and Cutler turned up at the Friday prejudging holding too much water, especially in his lower back and hamstrings, to distance himself from the pack. That error gave Jackson all the room he needed to build an insurmountable lead after the contest's first day. Despite Cutler's heroic attempts to hold onto his title, when he lost 14 pounds overnight for the Saturday night finals, the title was lost.

So all the talk about how good Cutler can be, and how good he currently is, is just that. Until he shows up on the Orleans Arena stage sometime after 7 pm PST on Friday, all doubts will remain as to whether Cutler can come in condition, if he is washed up, if he has lost it. And no one knows this more than Cutler himself.

If he can do it, if he can manage to pull it off, it would be not only be the greatest storyline for this year's Olympia, but arguably in the history of the sport.

Last edited by a moderator:
tkD

tkD

Administrator
Staff
VIP
In b4 Madmax 🇮🇴

R

rollinswollen36

I hope Jay can do it! He's dealt with a lot of shit and I'd like to see him shut people up.

Big04pimpin

Big04pimpin

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Didn't Arnold reclaim his title after a few years off from body building?

tkD

tkD

Administrator
Staff
VIP
Didn't Arnold reclaim his title after a few years off from body building?

Yes, but he left the stage in 1975 undefeated and then came back in 1980 to win it again, unlike Cutler, or Coleman, who tried to win it back after they lost the title on stage.

dilatedmuscle

dilatedmuscle

Mecca Super-*****
VIP
gotta love the soft back, soft glutes, soft hams, and soft arms

Tech

Tech

Ron Paul FTW
VIP
Hey everyone--if you can’t make it to Vegas for the Olympia, or just want up-to-the-minute info on Jay Cutler & your other favorites, follow GNC on Twitter (@GNCsucksBALLS). They’ll be tweeting LIVE all weekend!

Adam23

Adam23

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
i think he will make the top 3 !!

but there is no way he's going to win.

pakiman

pakiman

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
i think he will make the top 3 !!

but there is no way he's going to win.

Even though I wish him a victory I know this wont happen and you are right he most likely will be in top 3

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
MarkoB

MarkoB

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I don't know what but something tells me he's gonna take his title back this year... :bitelip:

pakiman

pakiman

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Yeah I wish the title for him, then Victor & then Phil ... I'll be pretty happy if any of these three take the title home ... I'd be OK with Dexter repeating... I would be the bitterly disappointed if Kai was our next Mr. Olympia ... I dislike him .... :( not a good thing to say I suppose but thats true...

tkD

tkD

Administrator
Staff
VIP
I think it will either be....

1. Jay Cutler
2. Phil Heath

OR...

1. Phil Heath
2. Jay Cutler

^ 2nd option would be great.

Flex

Flex

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
For 5 & 6 I think it will be...

5. Dennis Wolf
6. Victor Martinez

OR...

5. Victor Martinez
6. Dennis Wolf

okay, i'll stop now! :bitenails:

tkD

tkD

Administrator
Staff
VIP
^^ that's almost everyone's top 6, and I think it will be pretty much like that, unless Toney or Branch have something to say about it.