• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Propper Squats?

dilatedmuscle

dilatedmuscle

Mecca Super-*****
VIP
This diagram kinda throws me off

how is it possible to push with your heels in the Figure A? seems like if your in that position and you puss with your heels, you will lose balance.

Figure B seems correct to me; back straight, legs at parallel and a center of gravity.... what do u guys think?

Last edited by a moderator:
Flex

Flex

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
It would be in-between diagram A and diagram B.

Diagram A is fully exaggerated. You should be upright, but staying that upright would be near impossible.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
This diagram kinda throws me off

how is it possible to push with your heels in the Figure A? seems like if your in that position and you puss with your heels, you will lose ballance.

Figure B seems correct to me; back straight, legs at parallel and a center of gravity.... what do u guys think?

Added to what Flex said; as long as the weight is through the heels, that is the centre line drawn there, then you can push through the heels.

If the weight was forward as in Fig B you are forced to press through your toes more, as that is the centre of balance.

Another point would be that unless you can squat in between your heels, then you are better off stopping when your hammys reach your calves.

M

mvsf1

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
It would be in-between diagram A and diagram B.

Diagram A is fully exaggerated. You should be upright, but staying that upright would be near impossible.

I couldn't agree more. It's impossible keep the diagram A form squatting more than a few plates.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I couldn't agree more. It's impossible keep the diagram A form squatting more than a few plates.

Do you want me to post the video of weightlifters in this thread or point you to where I posted it before? :bitelip:

My favourite is the 85kg Dimaas doing them front squat style with 200kg.

Johnny5

Johnny5

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Maybe Tom Platz could squat this way, but I sure as hell can't! Especially since I'm a tall guy.

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
A looks more like an Oly squat with a high-bar position whereas B resembles a low-bar PL squat. Different courses for different horses. You sure as shit aren't going to be able to lift as much with Squat A but I presume it allows greater explosive force production.

M

mvsf1

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Do you want me to post the video of weightlifters in this thread or point you to where I posted it before? :bitelip:

My favourite is the 85kg Dimaas doing them front squat style with 200kg.

Man, I mean IMHO diagram A form is not the usual one. Back usually is not 100% straight and pointing to the roof.

Flex

Flex

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
They forgot to list the Duality-squat as part of the don't-do's.

Last edited by a moderator:

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
dilatedmuscle

dilatedmuscle

Mecca Super-*****
VIP
i think the only way u can do figure A is on a smith machine but even the degree of his legs looks too way too acute, looks like a lot of pressure on the knees whether u drive with ure heel or not.

smcfay

smcfay

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Wait...I thought it was bad to have your knees go past your toes(figure A)?
Thanks all the trainers at my gym say to their clients..they say its bad for your knees because it puts more pressure there.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Wait...I thought it was bad to have your knees go past your toes(figure A)?
Thanks all the trainers at my gym say to their clients..they say its bad for your knees because it puts more pressure there.

Better not run then.

Or take the stairs.

Or get up out of the chair........

The relative forces do change dependant on how far forward the knee travels relative to the midline of the body. The increase is 100X when you decide to not have your knee travel forward and instead place that strain on the hips. So the hips, although bigger, are given a lot more strain to deal with. Given that your lower back has to have a greater angle in it with more hip and less knee, then you are actually transferring a lot of force to the lower back. This is not a good thing.

Also bear in mind that the knee forces involved in a deep BW squat (140 degrees of motion) are roughly equivilent to half that of walking, then you are pretty safe to squat heavy and deep in weightlifter style.

dilatedmuscle said:
i think the only way u can do figure A is on a smith machine but even the degree of his legs looks too way too acute, looks like a lot of pressure on the knees whether u drive with ure heel or not.
I wasn't joking before about the weightlifters. They squat like that all the time. It is about having the mobility to do so. It is also actually a more normal motion than the way most people squat (watch a baby squat to see what I'm talking about).

And there is no way that a smith machine should ever enter a conversation about squatting. :bullwhip:

MrChewiebitums

MrChewiebitums

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
The relative forces do change dependant on how far forward the knee travels relative to the midline of the body. The increase is 100X when you decide to not have your knee travel forward and instead place that strain on the hips. So the hips, although bigger, are given a lot more strain to deal with. Given that your lower back has to have a greater angle in it with more hip and less knee, then you are actually transferring a lot of force to the lower back. This is not a good thing.
:

with more stress on the hips.. wouldnt that in the long run increase their width?

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
with more stress on the hips.. wouldnt that in the long run increase their width?

:umwtf:

If you mean place more load on the muscles of the hip (such as the glutes) and result in more muscle there, then yes. But most squatting engages the muscles in this area heavily. So the forces involved will actually have to be compensated for by either the muscles or you get wear and tear. Basically speak to a PLer about hip pain.

lifterdead

lifterdead

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Squat????

Attachments

• shymechko-203_lg.jpg
    shymechko-203_lg.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 95
  • misha-moh09_lg.jpg
    misha-moh09_lg.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 124
El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
Basically speak to a PLer about hip pain.

Oh dear god its awful, and I haven't even started competing yet. :omgwtf:

Read Matt Rhodes log on Elite, apparently he can even sit at a desk without throbbing hip pain anymore. He's a perfect example of taking it too far.

jonathan

jonathan

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
that oly lifter has good form, just like all other oly lifters, but the strongman impressed me, damn

well thats Misha Koklyaev, a former olympic lifter. That explains his perfect form I think mate

PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
oh ok, thanx for clearing that up jon!