• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Aussie IFBB bb dies on stage

SerbMarko

SerbMarko

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
post by outlaw on another forum,

The passing of Gary Himing was an absolute tragedy.

Gary has been around the sport for a long, long time and any "old-school" Victorian bodybuilders would have seen him around the traps over the past 30yrs or so.
It would have to be over 10yrs since I have caught up with Gary and I was thrilled to see his name on the competitors list today.

Unfortunately Gary suffered a massive heat attack on stage and despite valiant efforts by IFBB staff and Paramedics for close to an hour at the venue, Gary passed away not long after being admitted to hospital.
It was the worst thing that I have ever seen at a bodybuilding show and I found it very distressing.

To everyone who did their best to revive Gary you have my eternal respect and appreciation.
I'm not sure who the little Asian girl was who was performing CPR but I do know that both her and Johnny Barlas worked their hearts out for Gary until the Paramedics arrived.
Tony Doherty was on the phone to the hospital for the entire time giving the little Asian girl and Johnny directions, but they were already doing what they were being instructed to do without needing to be told, so they gave Gary every chance to survive.

Nothing more could be done, he got the very best care possible.
I can't believe Gary has gone, but again my sincere thanks to everyone who did their best for him.
Thanks so much Johnny, your efforts were truly heroic and I felt embarrassed every time I thanked you as I found it hard not to keep crying.
You can't get much higher on my respect-o-meter mate, thanks again for trying so hard.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DriDDeRz

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
i was there when it happened

T

Tonka

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Holy shit what a tragedgy people are going to think it was linked to steroids:bitelip:, Feel bad for his family.

SerbMarko

SerbMarko

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
how old was he?

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
SerbMarko

SerbMarko

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
he had a massive heart attack..

Bone Yard

Bone Yard

I am very sorry to confirm that a competitor did have a massive heart attack yesterday. Despite every effort by our first aid crew and an amazing group of paramedics, he died later in hospital. My deepest sympathy to his family and friends.

I have known Gary for over 20 years and have always liked him. We sat and chatted at the weigh in for about 20 minutes, reflecting on the years past and how fast time had gone. He was rapt to be in the show and did not seem drawn, dry or at all unhealthy. I have seen competitors over the years that have had frightening condition and not looked healthy at all.

I am very proud of my crew who kept him alive and made every effort to save him. Craig mentioned what a great job they did and he is right, they were incredible.

Tragically people die in all sorts of sports and activities. Football, rugby, motor racing, yachting and on the Kakoda trail. I am absolutely shattered that he lost his life and will offer professional counseling to all involved.

When I made a comment to the press, I had not had official notice of his passing and was not confident that is family had been properly notified, I did not trust the reporter and did not like his approach or tone.

Thank you to everyone that has offered words of support to all involved it was a very sad day.

Tony Doherty aka MessiahofMuscle.

Taken from another forum.

Robcardu

Robcardu

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Poor guy, at least he died doing what he loved.

Bone Yard

Bone Yard

further stuff posted by TD

I am also disappointed with the speculation and guessing going on here. So I will try to set you all straight.

Gary was alive when he left the hall. Ambulances do not transport dead people. The head paramedic assured me that they were holding out hope for him when they left. I truthfully expressed this to the crowd after we let them back in.
Should the show have gone on?

It was a difficult and well thought out decision that provided the best result and way forward for everyone that attended and competed. He was alive at the hospital when we re-started the contest.

Believe me, it was very difficult to perform for the rest of the day.

Again we express our sincere sympathy to his family and friends, it was a very sad result.

People die in all walks of life, Gary had a massive heart attack and did not recover. The same thing has happened in numerous marathons, football matches and at public events everywhere. If someone collapses in a marathon, they don't stop the race.

Please guys, stop playing guessing games, some of your thoughts have been cut and pasted on websites around the world. It is disrespectful to carry on like you know the facts when you are just trying to sound like you know something.

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
Respects to him and his family. I can't say its a bad thing he died doing what he loved though. If we could all be so lucky.

Savjav

Savjav

What happened exactly?

i was there too, he turned around to do a back shot and collapsed.
really scary when they started doing cpr,

he was in the masters class so he was over 40

really sad indeed R.I.P :(

dilatedmuscle

dilatedmuscle

Mecca Super-*****
VIP
I been looking for pictures of him but i cant find any

Milligan41088

Milligan41088

rip so sad to hear bout that