• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

The perfect pre-workout meal

F

FinnGasolin

I'm was reading through the sticky, with scientific articles, and saw that a pre-workout shake with BCAA was more efficient for hypertrophy, than a post-workout shake. I have seen studies like this before, and was wondering?

Is it better to place the Post-shake before the wo? Or is a proteinbar + a piece of fruit, bread with protein (tuna etc.) better?

dilatedmuscle

dilatedmuscle

Mecca Super-*****
VIP
i always eat some sort of protein before a workout but you gotta give yourself enough time to digest before working out

X

Xiva

Banned
Well if you listen to Alan aragon, then the it doesn't matter if it's shake (whey/dex) or a meal, the most important thing is that you get some carbs and protein before working out.

So i would say both are just fine.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Depends on what you are talking about timing wise. If you mean immediately prior then it needs to be fast digesting (otherwise digestion will be effected by exercise).

I prefer the idea of fast carbs and easily digested proteins. So whey isolate is good, BCAA can be a good addition, and a simple sugar such as dextrose.

But who honestly cares about pre-workout meals if you aren't eating well the rest of the day? Who honestly cares about pre-workout meals if you aren't training smart and hard? Who honestly cares about pre-workout meals when you haven't got the PWO meal right?

Also the BCAA studies are still not conclusive. I posted a roundtable on BCAA in the articles section that may be of interest. Most of the researchers in that area of nutrition are divided on the actual benefit.

F

FinnGasolin

Tim: I get your point :) i ALWAYS consume the majority of my kcals PWO, as my body seem to handle a large amount of carbs post workout. That works for me - and pre-wo has actually never been a big question in my book - i always get some protein and come carbs before WO, but i believe that the PWO-meal is was really gives a bang for my buck!

The Creator

The Creator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
When you are talking about a meal immediately before the workout it is way too "specific" of a topic. As Tim mentioned, your nutrition throughout the day is far more important. Your body stores carbohydrates as glycogen as well as amino acids. Honestly, if I am working out in the afternoon or evening I might not have anything right before the workout (always have a large meal 1.5-2 hours before ie. 6oz chicken, ten oz brown rice, and handful of almonds). I usually will throw in an intra-workout drink that contains aminos, but I dont really think its that necessary. Try to step back when you think about your nutrition. Nutrient timing is important however, your overall nutrition is far more important. Focus on balanced frequent meals throughout the day and as far as nutrient timing, just focus on that immediate post workout anabolic cocktail.

miamiracing

miamiracing

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
my body likes a bowl of oatmeal 2 hours before workout best.
if i get closer, like 1 1/2 hour before, i want brown rice with chicken or tuna