• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Your favorite hamstring exercises

F

FinnGasolin

Hey boys

As the headline says, what is your fav. hammie exercise?

I truly love the romanian deadlift - but I'm starting to look for substitutes :)

MrChewiebitums

MrChewiebitums

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
romanian and standing leg curl..... however i definitely have some sort of genetic advantage because even if i fart.. my hamstrings seem to grow so when i`m feeling smashed from quads i`ll just throw in some standing LC

Cork

Cork

Glute hamm raises. I've really seen a big boost in my strength and size since starting them.

co05

co05

GHRs or Goodmornings are nice

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
Heavy deadlifts, deep squats and GMs, accept no substitutes.

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
Goodmornings, and, although I've only recently started doing them... GHR's.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
X

Xiva

Banned
Guys that are saying deadlift and squat/deep squat.

You simply cant call power squat or deadlift a ham exercise, i know that both exercises activates hamstrings, but there are so many better alternativs, which will do alot better.

DanishBB

DanishBB

Squats, lunges & hack squat.

Hypocrisy86

Hypocrisy86

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
standing one legged curls

Johnny5

Johnny5

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I don't want to sound like a lightweight here, but what's DB SLDL? And while I'm at it, every time I do Romanian Deadlifts, I pretty much only feel my lower back doing the work, not my hamstrings. I might be doing a stiff-legged deadlift, but I don't know how to target my hamstrings more. And tips? :)

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
Guys that are saying deadlift and squat/deep squat.

You simply cant call power squat or deadlift a ham exercise, i know that both exercises activates hamstrings, but there are so many better alternativs, which will do alot better.

Name one exercise which will allow you to put more load on your hams? Sure if you need to be doing ham specific movements due to am imbalance I might suggest GMs, GHRs or 2 deadlift variation aswell but you can't beat squats and deads for all round leg development.

X

Xiva

Banned
Name one exercise which will allow you to put more load on your hams? Sure if you need to be doing ham specific movements due to am imbalance I might suggest GMs, GHRs or 2 deadlift variation aswell but you can't beat squats and deads for all round leg development.

We dont talk all around leg development now. We talk hamstrings. So.

But yes, Squats is the best exercise of all to put on size "all around" the leg, that's for sure.

J

Jaspar

I'd probably say a hybrid between SL/romanian DL on box as the number one exercise for me, since I can pretty much load it the most, of all the exercises hitting hamstrings - even more than powersquat.

Second exercise would be GHR and then legcurls. I haven't really got a fourth one.

Why is it, that some of you prefer DB SL over regular SL DL? Are you doing it unilateral?

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
We dont talk all around leg development now. We talk hamstrings. So.

But yes, Squats is the best exercise of all to put on size "all around" the leg, that's for sure.

But squats and deads will still work your hams better than the others through sheer loading. That is unless there was an imbalance problem to start with, in which case more specific movements might be necessary until the imbalance is corrected.

A lot of people do think of squats as a more quad specific movement but in there cases it is mainly because the aren't squatting properly. Once you're squatting deep enough the ham and glute activisation should be quite obvious. How else are you getting yourself out of the hole? Magic?

And deads should need no explanation at all...