• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

CHEST & BICEPS TRAINING

big barry

big barry

Got a friend of mine to film me trianing. Have been alot of FST training for chest, what do you think ?....

Last edited by a moderator:
Natzo

Natzo

Elvira turns me on
VIP
Smith pressing WTF?

c'mon Freako be nice..:iorofl:

you have good size! men and thanks for putting here your vids!

do you have a log already?

if not I would start one today!

stay active !

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Physique looks good. A lot of volume in the workout, have you done any strength phases recently or have any planned?

Few bits of advice:

The L-flys on the cable, keep the elbow locked at your side. Allowing the elbow to come up gets the traps involved, which isn't the goal.

Stop using a smith machine. I saw the explanation, but it would be just as easy on a normal bench with a BB.

Grip the bar properly when pressing. The suicide grip you are using is called that for a reason.

Work on your pressing setup, you had your feet off the floor on the flat pressing. A strong setup creates a more stable base to press from. Also the bar is meant to touch your chest.

tkD

tkD

Administrator
Staff
VIP
I am being nice! I didn't call him a bloody idiot did I? :gaysign:

You did now
rofl_1-1.gif

jk, keep it up with your training Barry!

big barry

big barry

If you listen to what I am saying in the video. The reason for using a smith machine, is for convenience more than anything, and yes it is volume training at present, for a change than the usual heavy weights.

I didn’t really post this for pointers on my training, rather just to share my training with others.

I am not really sure how using a smith machine, is a bad thing. Its not normally what I do, but than being said I have watched plenty of more experienced trainers use it for chest, for example Arnold, and I don’t really feel I can question his results.

I do also find it a little weird to take criticism from 2 people who don’t actually have a picture of themselves on their profile.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
If you listen to what I am saying in the video. The reason for using a smith machine, is for convenience more than anything, and yes it is volume training at present, for a change than the usual heavy weights.

I didn’t really post this for pointers on my training, rather just to share my training with others.

I am not really sure how using a smith machine, is a bad thing. Its not normally what I do, but than being said I have watched plenty of more experienced trainers use it for chest, for example Arnold, and I don’t really feel I can question his results.

I do also find it a little weird to take criticism from 2 people who don’t actually have a picture of themselves on their profile.

Wasn't meaning to be offensive, just offering some tips. You'll also notice that Freako and I have "Verified" next to our profiles. Have a check in the main section for why we have that, or our logs, where you will see Freako has a 160kg bench, 230kg deadlift and 200kg squat at or under 90kg. :tiphat:

On the smith machine: the "monkey see monkey do" argument for using it isn't valid. Mythically lemmings all jump off a cliff because the other lemmings do as well, doesn't make it a great idea. Although if you want a Pro example, check out Kevin Levrone's comeback vids. When asked why he didn't use a smith for bench or squatting he replied he never used a smith except for shoulders (occassionally I think he said). Why? Well long ROM on the squat and bench were not what the smith was meant for, it was meant for short ROM exercises like lockouts, shoulder presses are closer to the category (although I still wouldn't use it for that).

The facts on smith machines are pretty simple, I'll go through a few. They are counter balance most of the time, so forces aren't present in a manner of natural load bearing. You are locked into a single plane of motion, so no balance or coordination are required which is not good for muscle recruitment patterns (maintaining joint integrity, etc) in the long term. Your natural pressing motion shouldn't be in a single plane, so something has to give in order to allow you to press on the smith. What happens is the shearing forces increase, and they are mostly going to be at the joints. Shoulders are already vulnerable joints in bench pressing, making it more-so is not a good idea. You may not notice this for years, some never notice it, but show me a long term trainee that hasn't had shoulder issues or knee issues, do you really want to be one of them?

Anyway, again your physique is looking good, and I look forward to the vids from your next phase (will that be another strength phase?). :thumbsup2:

Hypocrisy86

Hypocrisy86

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Speaking of smith machines,
to be honest, its more difficult for me to use smith when using it for chest,a 45 on each side for smith feels like a 45 and 35 a side on regular bench, which is very weeiird...

l12l21l2012l

l12l21l2012l

Wasn't meaning to be offensive, just offering some tips. You'll also notice that Freako and I have "Verified" next to our profiles. Have a check in the main section for why we have that, or our logs, where you will see Freako has a 160kg bench, 230kg deadlift and 200kg squat at or under 90kg. :tiphat:

On the smith machine: the "monkey see monkey do" argument for using it isn't valid. Mythically lemmings all jump off a cliff because the other lemmings do as well, doesn't make it a great idea. Although if you want a Pro example, check out Kevin Levrone's comeback vids. When asked why he didn't use a smith for bench or squatting he replied he never used a smith except for shoulders (occassionally I think he said). Why? Well long ROM on the squat and bench were not what the smith was meant for, it was meant for short ROM exercises like lockouts, shoulder presses are closer to the category (although I still wouldn't use it for that).

The facts on smith machines are pretty simple, I'll go through a few. They are counter balance most of the time, so forces aren't present in a manner of natural load bearing. You are locked into a single plane of motion, so no balance or coordination are required which is not good for muscle recruitment patterns (maintaining joint integrity, etc) in the long term. Your natural pressing motion shouldn't be in a single plane, so something has to give in order to allow you to press on the smith. What happens is the shearing forces increase, and they are mostly going to be at the joints. Shoulders are already vulnerable joints in bench pressing, making it more-so is not a good idea. You may not notice this for years, some never notice it, but show me a long term trainee that hasn't had shoulder issues or knee issues, do you really want to be one of them?

Anyway, again your physique is looking good, and I look forward to the vids from your next phase (will that be another strength phase?). :thumbsup2:

thanks tim that was very informative :thumbsup2:

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
buzzkill44

buzzkill44

good vids. don't worry about explaining why you use something. they can talk all they want about why they like something over another but everyone responds different. just my opinion.

big barry

big barry

I totally agree with your comments regarding the smith machine,of course any machine will restrict your natural plane of movement, but as I said i dont normally use them.

But then you could also say never do leg extensions, lat pull down, 45 degree leg press etc etc.

Im a frim believer in free weights, as I said before the only reason I was using the smith machine was for convenience as the rest period between each set is so short.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I totally agree with your comments regarding the smith machine,of course any machine will restrict your natural plane of movement, but as I said i dont normally use them.

But then you could also say never do leg extensions, lat pull down, 45 degree leg press etc etc.

Im a frim believer in free weights, as I said before the only reason I was using the smith machine was for convenience as the rest period between each set is so short.
This is quickly turning into a discussion thread rather than watching your vids, sorry about that.

I think we are on the same page, in that you don't use these things regularly.

Just wanted to clarify that I'm not against machines. I don't like leg extensions because they put a lot of strain on the knee ligaments for such little gain. But having said that using them as a warmup for a training cycle or as a high rep finisher in a cycle won't (so 6 weeks out of the 48 training weeks of the year) kill you or do any harm. I'm not a fan of lat pulldowns, pullups are far better, but pulldowns can have a place for stuff like facepulls and the like. Leg presses are fine, but most over use them and abuse them. Plenty of people have a 1000lb leg press yet would battle to squat properly. I actually really like the single-leg leg press as an accessory exercise.

Also it would be great if you'd join us in the training log section. :tiphat:

C

colemancol

As a novice,I am impress with your sincere workout and training.This is like an motivation and more as a benchmark for me to achieve.

C

Comin_Up

The title of the section says "Members pictures post your pictures for CRITIQUE"

and what does having a picture have to do with anything

big barry

big barry

My point being. Most people on these forums who give all this worldly advice, normally are half my size, no nothing about training, nutrition etc etc.

Makes me sick