• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

carb cycling

Napol3onator

Napol3onator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
okay for the record i did a search and couldn't find much about this. I was in walmart and decided to save money, but read a little bit of the muscle and fitness latest mag. I saw about carb cycling ...it's like an insulin "manipulator" ( a not-so-smart bodybuilder's favorite word lol) and what i got from it was that on training days you go low carb, and on non training days you go high carb..supposedly it's 10x better than a ketogenic diet, and for me it sounds good because i have cut down from 220 to unders 170, and i lost to much muscle =/..so next time around i want a better diet...can someone summarize a carb cycle...i.e...creator, I need your help lol!

philosopher

philosopher

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
there are different ways to do a carb cycling diet. Mostly its done in this kind of way.

There are three types of days while on this diet:

- High Carb
- Low Carb or Moderate Carb
- No Carb or Low Carb

You rotate the three days. How you rotate them depends on a lot of factors and are done in different ways by many peopel. Just find out what works best for you. I never used the No carb day because of my already low bf and I cant function well with no carbs. Imo get your low carb day on a rest day and try to get the high carb days as much on training days. try to make it a functional diet which alows you to train hard while getting ripped.

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
Here's a recent Elitefts article regarding carb cycling:

How to Add Cardio and Diet to Your Powerlifting Regimen
By Adam Signoretta

To most, the words diet and cardio shouldn’t be in the same sentence because most feel that these two may decrease your strength gains. They can if you don’t supplement correctly. Will diet and cardio help you with your strength? Maybe, maybe not. But they will keep you in the game longer because you won’t be a fat ass and die of a heart attack. I don’t know about you, but I don’t just like to look strong. I want to be strong. I feel a man should be able to lift heavy shit, bust out 10 or more pull-ups, and get up at any given time and bang out two or three miles. This is where that diet and cardio regimen come in. The following program can be for weight loss or bulking, depending on how you put it together.

I’ve done many diets over the years, and this one is by far the best food wise. It’s also affordable. This diet consists of high carb days, normal carb days, and for those who want to bulk, a super high day. My carbs never drop lower than 100 grams a day. I’ve done very high protein, low to no carb, and high fat diets. All work pretty well as far as getting lean, but they hurt your strength, endurance, and wallet. I was spending $140 a week for chicken alone. To get your super high carb day, multiply by three. To get your high carb day, multiply by two, and to get your low carb day, multiply by one.

Here’s how you’re going to keep your muscle, strength, and endurance. You’re going to eat more carbs before and after your workout. Loading before your workout will give you more energy for your workout, and loading after will restore your glycogen levels. Restoring these levels will boost energy and muscle growth. To find out how many macronutrients you will have with each meal, divide the total amount by the number of meals you will have except for carbs. To find out how many carbs for each meal, divide by the number of meals plus add an additional one. Then take the extra meal and multiply it by one and a half. That result will be your pre- and post-workout meal.

Here’s an example:

Normal day
Amount of meals = 6
Protein = 270 g / 6 = 45 g
Carbs = 200 g / 7 = 28 g
Fat = 50 g / 6 = 8 g
Pre- and post-workout meal = 28 g X 1.5 = 42 g each

High carb day
Amount of meals = 6
Protein = 240 g / 6 = 40 g
Carbs = 300 g / 7 = 43 g
Fat = 40 g / 6 = 6.5 g
Pre- and post-workout meal = 43 g X 1.5 = 64 g each

Super high carb day
Amount of meals = 6
Protein = 200 g / 6 = 34 g
Carbs = 600 g / 8 = 75 g
Fat = none added
Pre- and post-workout meal = 75 g X 1.5 = 112 g

If you aren’t doing a workout, you can’t load carbs. So equally distribute them through the day. Don’t count veggies as carbs, and don’t count the protein from carb sources.

To get leaner now that you have your normal and high day breakdowns done, you have to determine how many high days you’ll have and what days of the week they will fall on. If you want to get lean fast, do 3–4 days. If you have a tough time, do 1–2 high days. You can always change the days as your diet goes on. I start at two days and stay at two days a week. My days are Friday and Tuesday. You should try to space them out at least one or two days apart if possible.

To bulk up, I recommend 1–2 super high days, preferably on your heavy training days, 1–2 high days on your light days, and 2–3 low days on your days off.

Cardio
This is how you’ll be able to do cardio and maintain your strength. You want to break your cardio into three days—a low day, a moderate day, and a high intensity day. On low days, your heart rate should be in your fat burning zone or somewhere around 120–140 beats per minute (bpm) for 20–60 minutes. On your high day, perform interval training. Do intervals of one minute in zone three (150 bpm and up) and then one minute of low intensity for about 30–35 minutes. Your moderate days are the same as the high days, but they’re shorter in duration. Do 10–15 minutes of high intensity followed by 10 minutes of low intensity. Duration and frequency of each day are determined by your goals (whether you want to bulk up or lean out) and also by how many super high, high, and norm carb days you’re doing.

If you’re leaning out, you can do low intensity on any day, but your high intensity days are best to do the day after your high carb day. The day after your high carb day, your body should be filled with glycogen, which will give you more fuel to burn without burning muscle. This will ensure that you burn fat. I wouldn’t do any weight training on your high intensity days. Load your carbs before and after your high intensity cardio. Moderate intensity cardio would be good to do at the end of your light days.

Here’s an example of a good split for someone leaning out:

Sunday: High carb – heavy lower – off cardio
Monday: Normal carb – off weights – moderate cardio (15 minutes)
Tuesday: Normal carb – off weights –low intensity cardio (30 minutes)
Wednesday: High carb – heavy upper – low intensity cardio (20 minutes after weights)
Thursday: Normal carb – light lower- high intensity cardio (30 minutes)
Friday: Normal carb – off – off
Saturday: Normal carb – light upper – low intensity cardio (30 minutes)

When bulking, your split may look like this:

Sunday: Super high carb – heavy lower – off cardio
Monday: High carb – off weights – high intensity cardio (30 minutes)
Tuesday: Normal carb – off weights – off cardio
Wednesday: Super high carb – heavy upper – off cardio
Thursday: High carb –light lower – moderate intensity cardio (15 minutes after weights)
Friday: Normal carb – off weights – low intensity cardio (20 minutes)
Saturday: Normal carb – light upper – off cardio

Here are some ideas for high and moderate cardio:

*My weighted stair routine from my article “Cardio for the Strong”

*Kettlebell interval swings or snatches (Do eight reps each arm for 15 seconds on and 15 seconds off for 30 minutes and a total of 480–500 snatches. Or do swings (high intensity) for moderate intensity using a 53-lb kettlebell for 5–6 reps for 15 minutes.)

*Sled drags

*Up hill sprints

*Jump rope (one-minute rounds)

*Sprints

On low intensity days, use any form of cardio you want as long as your heart rate stays at 130–140 or under.

Diet and cardio while powerlifting is going to be like your weight lifting program. It’s trial and error. If something isn’t working, make the appropriate changes and move on. Don’t completely dismiss something because it isn’t getting you the exact results you want. I’ve hit some of my best lifts when I wasn’t doing cardio and eating Mickey D’s, but I felt like crap. But I’m also a bodybuilder, and by following a split similar to this, I’ve hit the same numbers 20 lbs lighter. Just for the record, this isn’t my routine. This is just a template that I feel will increase the average lifter’s performance.

Adam Signoretta is a natural bodybuilder who has competed in eight competitions within the past four years. He has also competed in three powerlifting meets in the past two years, earning two overall best raw lifter awards. He is NASM, CES, PES, and RKC certified. If you have any questions on bodybuilding, powerlifting, or kettlebell training.

Elite Fitness Systems strives to be a recognized leader in the strength training industry by providing the highest quality strength training products and services while providing the highest level of customer service in the industry.

Last edited by a moderator:
Napol3onator

Napol3onator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
freako, buddy , thanks!..thanks too philo..yea, what was confusing was that m&f said to actually do the opposite, to take in low carbs on training days and higher carbs on non training days, apparently it helps more..but i will have to read and see which one makes the most sense..what they say about keto diets are true..I wasn't even on keto, but very low carbs and here's what i went through:

extreme weight loss, but can't function without eneergy shots EVRYDAY...weight poundages decreased at an embarassing rate..muscle burned away ( not bullsht, really)..not enough protein( it was so draining that i didn't feel like cooking lol, this onewas major my fault), and I hit a plateu..so basically, I got weaker, not as cut as i would like, drained daily, and cant max shit. I would love to mix it up and atleast cut my caffein intake by 1/2, and not be drained.

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
freako, buddy , thanks!..thanks too philo..yea, what was confusing was that m&f said to actually do the opposite, to take in low carbs on training days and higher carbs on non training days, apparently it helps more..

That doesn't seem to make sense. You need more energy on training days so hence you load your carbs those days right?

M&F :doh:

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
From Matt Kroc's log:
1/18/2010 8:56:23 AM - Bodybuilding diet overview

As I mentioned before I am working with Elite's own Shelby Starnes for my bodybuilding diet and I'm really excited about what he has planned for me and the condition I expect him to get me into. And since a lot of people have been asking here's a brief overview of what he has me doing.

Shelby has me on a carb cycling program where I have high carb, medium carb and low carb days. My high carb days coincide with my heaviest and most demanding training days and on those days I'll be taking in over 500g of carbohydrates. The rest of my training days will consist of medium carb days and I have low carb days on my non-training days (which for me is only one day per week). My protein intake varies a little as well but is usually around 400g per day.

My food choices for protein consist of lean red meat, chicken, turkey, fish and eggs. For carbs I'm mostly eating red potatoes, rice and oatmeal. Instead of the cruciferous veggies that Shelby would like me to eat (I object on the grounds of taste, palatability and the fact that these are for little people) I'm mostly eating salads consisting of romaine lettuce with a few cucumbers and tomatoes with a vinaigrette dressing.

As far as beverages go I'm allowed to drink diet pop (soda for you non-midwesterners) and other zero calorie beverages like crystal light or whatever but I prefer to drink only water. Surprisingly enough I'm not really missing the 1-2 gallons of milk I normally drink every day.

I also doing cardio several times a week which for me mainly consists of walking on a treadmill at around 4mph for 30-45 minutes at a time. And as a side note I busted the sh*t out of my hand and put a few nice gouges in my walls as I carried my treadmill from the second floor bedroom where I used to keep it down to the basement today so that I can watch dvds and fight the mind numbing monotony that cardio is.

The real beauty of this diet and also the key to it is the adjustments that Shelby will make along the way based on my progress and individual needs. I keep him updated constantly with how things are going and send him pics on a weekly basis so he can make whatever alterations are needed.

So far things are going well and I'm anxious to see the changes as they progress. I'll probably post some comparison pics in a few weeks so that you guys can see how the diet and cardio is working.

Pickle

Pickle

Team Winklaar
VIP
i for one cant wait to see matt krocs progress, makes more sense to apply high carbs to training days

Napol3onator

Napol3onator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
thanks a lot freako..yea i dont really know what im doing with a diet..but I know my carbs are way too low b/c i can feel it. I guess i gotta try this next time.

The Creator

The Creator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I've tried the carb cycling route before and it didnt seem to yield any special results when compared to a linear low/moderate carb diet. I just rotated between high med and low days in that order regardless of training days or not. I did notice that I was more happy on the high carb days though! I think it can be something to consider for some folks but I dont believe it to be any more effective than the occasional re-feed.

MuscleMecca Crew

MuscleMecca Crew

MuscleMecca Crew
Staff
Author
I think here is more Carb Cycling information here at musclemecca bodybuilding but I found this helpful. Carb cycling and fat burning is over looked by too many bodybuilders. If you really want to be ripped like Lou Ferrigno than do carb cycling!

Lou

How To Turn Your Body Into A Fat Burning Machine With Carbohydrate Cycling
By Vince Martela

There is so much hype about diets these days. Claiming that you could lose a large amount of weight in a short period of time.

Is it possible to lose a lot of weight in a short amount of time?

Yes it is, but it's probably not healthy and a good part of the weight lost isn't just fat loss but water weight loss as well as lean tissue loss (muscle). So when you lose weight with some conventional methods of dieting you lose a lot of muscle as well and end up looking skinny and undefined. These diets often leave you feel fatigued.

I'm going to present you with the optimal diet which will turn your body into a fat burning machine. This is a proven and very efficient method for losing fat, while retaining as much lean tissue as possible. Remember, when you lose weight, what you want is to lose the fat, not lose the lean muscle, Forget about all the low carbohydrate, and low fat diets.

The method I'm going to present you is called carbohydrate cycling, and it's currently one of the most efficient ways to burn fat. It has been well kept secret of the bodybuilders who used this method to get lean for competitions, but now it's out on the open.

In simple terms, you have 3 consecutive days of low carb dieting and on the fourth day you eat a high carb diet. Here's what the diet should look like

1st day - 60 to 80 grams of carbohydrates LOW CARB

2nd day - 80 to 100 grams of carbohydrates LOW CARB

3rd day - 100 to 120 grams of carbohydrates LOW CARB

4th day - 250+ grams of carbohydrates HIGH CARB

You should eat 0.8 to 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight, meaning, if you weight 180 pounds, you should have 160-180 grams of protein per day.

Eat around 6 meals per day, include protein in every meal. In the three low carb days, eat 500-600 calories below your maintenance level, include essential fatty acids to your diet. On the high carb day you should eat 300-400 calories ABOVE your maintenance level.

As you can see, You're eating a low carb diet in the first 3 days, gradually increasing the number of carbs each day, and on the fourth day (high carb) you're drastically increasing the amount of carbs that you eat, on the fourth day you can eat as many healthy carbs as you want. This way, you're going to replenish the depleted glycogen store from the previous 3 days of low carb dieting, and confuse your metabolism, not let it adjust to the diet, so it can continue burning fat. After you finish the high carb day you continue the cycle by doing three more low carb days then one high carb day and so on.

This ia very efficient diet for weight loss, and is used by many bodybuilders as well as average couch potatoes with great success.

Eat healthy starchy and fibrous carbs like: Oats, barley, brown rice, sweet potatoes, whole wheat bread, tomatoes, lettuce, cabbage .....

Eat healthy lean protein: Chicken breast, fish, turkey breast, egg whites, lean beef, whey protein.
Limit the intake of fruit in the low carb days.

Include cardio-vascular activity like running, cycling or whatever else you like, try to do it at least 3 times a week, 20-30 minutes on moderate to high intensity.

This will really enhance your fat loss.
Include weight training in order to retain as much lean mass as possible

Vince Martela is a former bodybuilder and a personal trainer.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff