• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Are Leg curls( any kind) necessary for hamstring strength and size?

PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Lately, my hamstrings are sore all the time thanx to the nice dose of deads and heavy leg work, they have been so sore lately , i have not done any direct work for them

Are doing leg curls necessary for hamstring strength and size? or are multijoint moves like deads, stiffes, RDL, and pullthroughs enough?

Bulkboy

Bulkboy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
i think if u can do GHR's then leg curls are not necessary. however, if u cant do these, id keep some leg curls in there. mainly because i think a knee flexion movement is necessary when working the hams. atleast development wise. this is whats great about GHR's. they work ur hamstrings at both joints. both knee and hip.

JoaoT

JoaoT

It depends on what you need.

Are you week in that muscle? Do you feel that exercise really works for you? I don't know your goal but if you feel necessary to do, then do it. GHR's like Bulkboy said are better, but if you can't do that exercise so go for leg curls.
If you see that sore that you feel are enough for your muscle to grow so don't do leg curls.

Natzo

Natzo

Elvira turns me on
VIP
It depends on what you need.

Are you week in that muscle? Do you feel that exercise really works for you? I don't know your goal but if you feel necessary to do, then do it. GHR's like Bulkboy said are better, but if you can't do that exercise so go for leg curls.
If you see that sore that you feel are enough for your muscle to grow so don't do leg curls.

I can do GHR's and they are fucking painfull...

go for that! the best exercise for hams..

if you don't have the machine do them in the pulldown support. ghetto style..

PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
@ Bulky, i dont do GHR, but i do other multi joint movements, and personally i dont feel like the leg curls do anything other then pump them up.

@ J: I dont feel im weak in that muscle, but i dont feel the lying leg curls really works, and thats the only one the gym im going to has. I used to do lots of standing unilateral leg curls, and those i felt better, but of course i did them after some other mutlijoint ham move.

thanx for the input guys, gonna do the leg curls tommorow, check my form, make it heavy and feel it. No other ham move. this way i can really see if it does something

JoaoT

JoaoT

if you don't have the machine do them in the pulldown support. ghetto style..

Have you tried in the pulldown support? xD

Last edited by a moderator:
PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Nice idea, imma try and do one of the ghetto versions!

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
Pulldown machine is great to do GHR's on if you can't support your bodyweight on them.

Natzo

Natzo

Elvira turns me on
VIP
Pulldown machine is great to do GHR's on if you can't support your bodyweight on them.

yeah.. The leg support in the pulldown machine is great for Ghetto GHR's.
Yes JoaoT I do them lol, sometimes I get some looks like- What the fuck is this guy doing?- lol but .. who cares.. it's the sickest , most difficult to execute and progress exercise that i've done.

and it works wonders..:thumbsup2:

PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
awesome, gonna try them for sure, cant say i will be succesful though lol

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
Natzo

Natzo

Elvira turns me on
VIP
awesome, gonna try them for sure, cant say i will be succesful though lol

if you can't support your bodyweight inicially,when going down put your hands in the floor and give just that little push to let your legs do all the work of bringing you up. :thumbsup2:

JoaoT

JoaoT

Yes JoaoT I do them lol, sometimes I get some looks like- What the fuck is this guy doing?- lol but .. who cares.. it's the sickest , most difficult to execute and progress exercise that i've done.

Today i think i'm gonna try lol.

The looks staring at you, the horror , the drama :rofl3:

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Jono I do GHR's by loading a barbell and using that to wedge my heels under. Just use a small plate to make sure the bar doesn't roll anywhere.

On the muscle side of things. GHR's are very very hard. On a proper bench they are easier than the natural methods as you can use the footplate to get the calves involved, combine the movement with a back ext and adjust your position so that the movement is easier. So you are mostly going to use them for negatives or partials until the hammys are strong.

Bulky already pointed this out; leg curls do train an important function of the hamstring that deadlifts and the like don't train, and that is knee flexion. Now training the deadlift movements is the most important function, but you can't neglect doing both. GHR's effectively train both hammy movements (although they are more knee flexion) but realistically until you are able to do proper concentric motions on them you probably should have a leg curl in the workout (if you train legs twice a week, then once a week would do).

One point to bear in mind is that the leg curl, much like the leg ext, puts direct loading onto the knee joint. The leg ext is terrible for the knee, the leg curl is not as bad, but still is not great. The leg curl puts a lot of strain on the PCL (leg ext the ACL) so if you have had problems with that don't touch them. The leg curl is better though as it doesn't completely remove cocontraction, and the calves do cross the knee joint and have a protective role when tensed (unless you are trying to take them out of the movement by pointing the toes).

Natzo

Natzo

Elvira turns me on
VIP
Today i think i'm gonna try lol.

The looks staring at you, the horror , the drama :rofl3:

Most of the looks are from hot girls.. I make sure my ass is pointed to the treadmills..:coolguy:

you know.. that hot blond..:drool:

JoaoT

JoaoT

Most of the looks are from hot girls.. I make sure my ass is pointed to the treadmills..:coolguy:

you know.. that hot blond..:drool:

lolol

Two blonds (milf :D) came across to my mind now: Don't know whos better but one have the husband training in the gym and he is a big f*** dude. Watch out :turborun: