• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Testing a new 1RM in 5/3/1

PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Hi fellow 5/3/1'ers,

If you want to try out a new max, would it be best to do so in the deload week or am i mistaken?!

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I thought they were done after the deload.

pingu

pingu

I thought the same.
Let the body get some real rest before a 1rm.

Cork

Cork

From the book:

Question: Do you ever take a true one rep max?

Answer: You can do it whenever you want, but I’d recommend waiting at least 3 or 4 cycles to test it again. Never give up a training day to take a 1RM. Simply do the workout first, but don’t go for max reps on the last set. From there, try for a new max. While this program will improve your one rep max, the program’s success is not geared just toward one rep maxes. Structuring your training like this would be setting you up for failure. A one rep max is no better or worse than a five rep max.

When you say test a new 1rm I would assume that you mean you want to reset the number that you are lifting 90% of? You don't mean to actual go for a 1rm do you? If you want a new calculated 1rm you can just take your best rep record with your best weight, put it into his equation of (weightxrepsx.033)+weight = 1rm and get your new 1rm.