• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Making a change..

A

akafuqin

So I recently got into an argument with a friend and his gf. In some fraternity that they both know there's the stereotypical "buff" guy who's supposed to be ripped. The guy was a manlet, high body fat percentage, no legs, and what appears to be only an above average chest and arms.

Naturally they keep saying in my face about how he's buff, they've seen him in a man thong which means that he's even more ripped, and works out a lot. Now I don't doubt his ability to lift, just the way he presents himself and praises himself. At most he was thick, but even then that was saying something.

What change am I going to make? To better myself in terms of health and strength. No longer will I tolerate being skinny, or anyone who is considered buff because all they do is bench and curl. Right now my main goal is what my brother(mexiFRO) used to look like in his prime. Now its time to kick it back into shape, focus on dieting, and start a log!

Brb reading articles.

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
Good going mate! Keep us updated.

dilatedmuscle

dilatedmuscle

Mecca Super-*****
VIP
I dont understand what the arguement was about. Was it bothering you that they were praising the "buff guy" ? Were you arguing with Them because of his lack of overall development (legs, back, shoulders etc..) while having an abundance of ego?

Changes that a person should make is getting a gym membership, a basic workout and nutrition Plan. Mentally you should realise that another persons ego and/or physique has no relevance to your life or goals whether or not it bothers you when people praise that person. It also doesnt matter what people think about you. Chances are you wont look the way you want to look in a relatively short period of time. It takes patience and consistency. It may take you 2 years or it may take you 20 years to look how you want to look.

There's been situations where people would get frustrated because i was bigger or stronger then them in some ways. Those people will also get cocky when they reach my level of strength or size. When they lose it all from lack of patience, commitment, and consistency, they get bitter towards me... I never understood people like that because their goals and progress had absolutely nothing to do with my personal goals and progress. You shouldnt worry about how someone else looks or how people think you look since they have absolutely nothing to do with the work ethic and progress that you should have.

If there's some douchebag who does bench all the time yet has skinny legs, it shouldnt matter to you because he is in his own little oblivious world if he beleive's he's hot shit when he really is not. You shouldnt take offense to you're friends saying "to your face" how he is buff because they just beleive he it even though they probably dont know much about bodybuilding or overall muscular development (the term, not the magazine lol).

As far as training and nutrition... Maybe picking up a bodybuilding split/routine and nutrition plan from a magazine or online article and then posting it back here so people can make suggestions about what actually works, doesnt work, or isnt worth doing.

I didnt understand what you meant so hopefully im not too far off.

P.S. What is your nationality and what part of SoCal are you from?

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I dont understand what the arguement was about. Was it bothering you that they were praising the "buff guy" ? Were you arguing with Them because of his lack of overall development (legs, back, shoulders etc..) while having an abundance of ego?

Changes that a person should make is getting a gym membership, a basic workout and nutrition Plan. Mentally you should realise that another persons ego and/or physique has no relevance to your life or goals whether or not it bothers you when people praise that person. It also doesnt matter what people think about you. Chances are you wont look the way you want to look in a relatively short period of time. It takes patience and consistency. It may take you 2 years or it may take you 20 years to look how you want to look.

There's been situations where people would get frustrated because i was bigger or stronger then them in some ways. Those people will also get cocky when they reach my level of strength or size. When they lose it all from lack of patience, commitment, and consistency, they get bitter towards me... I never understood people like that because their goals and progress had absolutely nothing to do with my personal goals and progress. You shouldnt worry about how someone else looks or how people think you look since they have absolutely nothing to do with the work ethic and progress that you should have.

If there's some douchebag who does bench all the time yet has skinny legs, it shouldnt matter to you because he is in his own little oblivious world if he beleive's he's hot shit when he really is not. You shouldnt take offense to you're friends saying "to your face" how he is buff because they just beleive he it even though they probably dont know much about bodybuilding or overall muscular development (the term, not the magazine lol).

As far as training and nutrition... Maybe picking up a bodybuilding split/routine and nutrition plan from a magazine or online article and then posting it back here so people can make suggestions about what actually works, doesnt work, or isnt worth doing.

Please don't make recommendations about training. You don't even train legs. :bball:

PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ lol, timbo ur a mean mutha...

A

akafuqin

Haa, I was more focused on his cockyness, and peoples misconception of what is actually buff.

Yeah once I gather up some more money and knowledge on diet, I'm going to buy the food. First is research, the most important.

Messican, and I live in ontario. you?

Please don't make recommendations about training. You don't even train legs. :bball:

o_O...i laughed my ass off when I read the 100 reasons to squat. my friend and I are working out daily now, and every day im pushing him to do squats but he always bitches out :/

dilatedmuscle

dilatedmuscle

Mecca Super-*****
VIP

LOL sure i dont. I have no idea why i did squats yesterday if i dont train legs. :bitelip:

Haa, I was more focused on his cockyness, and peoples misconception of what is actually buff.

Yeah once I gather up some more money and knowledge on diet, I'm going to buy the food. First is research, the most important.

Messican, and I live in ontario. you?

o_O...i laughed my ass off when I read the 100 reasons to squat. my friend and I are working out daily now, and every day im pushing him to do squats but he always bitches out :/

Im mexican too, I love in Ventura County. I was wondering because your friend was MexiFro or something and you are from souther cali. Remember, it may not be the greatest idea to squat everyday or workout everyday if thats what you're doing.

A

akafuqin

LOL sure i dont. I have no idea why i did squats yesterday if i dont train legs. :bitelip:

Im mexican too, I love in Ventura County. I was wondering because your friend was MexiFro or something and you are from souther cali. Remember, it may not be the greatest idea to squat everyday or workout everyday if thats what you're doing.

Haha no shit? Yeah, MexiFro is my brother so during his whole weight lifting phase I would join him randomly, and I'd get a lot of information from him pretty much every day, from diets to weight tips to steroid usage haha.

Nah I'm not going to squat every day. Pretty much for right now I'm going to do full body workouts twice a week to get my body used to the whole lifting phase, around next week I'm going to do split and focus on a part or two a day. But squats and deadlifts are going to be one of those 3 times a week exercises.

Hypocrisy86

Hypocrisy86

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Props to you man, keep up the hard work in the gym

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP

Doing is the most important thing.

If I had my time again I would spend the first 6 months practicing the main lifts (squats, front squats, deadlifts, RDL, GM, pullups, dips, bench, rows) just getting them right. Worry about all the other shit later.

dilatedanus said:
LOL sure i dont. I have no idea why i did squats yesterday if i dont train legs.

It was hyperbole because you made a stupid implication about training advice. Routines in magazines are by and large shit. We have hundreds of threads and programs here that are far superior. akafuqin seems to be on track with reading them, don't muddy the waters.

dilatedmuscle

dilatedmuscle

Mecca Super-*****
VIP
It was hyperbole because you made a stupid implication about training advice. Routines in magazines are by and large shit. We have hundreds of threads and programs here that are far superior. akafuqin seems to be on track with reading them, don't muddy the waters.

Which is why i said to post them here so people can weed out the cream from the crap for him. I dont know which articles he was reading but there are more crap articles then not. If he was reading the threads and programs here then more power to him. If he wasnt, then he should post them here and get feed back.

A

akafuqin

jwill0214

jwill0214

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
If they are sticky articles than they contain good material.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Ok...haha here are some random articles I've read in the submission section so you guys can tell me if they are valid or not?

PWO carbs protein and fat - MuscleMecca.com Forums (pwo carbs protein and fat)
Parts are right, parts are wrong. See some of the other threads on the same topic in that section. I'm sure I posted one by Kravitz that has a better summary of the science of nutrition.

Most of the articles from EFS are pretty decent. This one is no exception.

As the discussion below the article states, this article is shit. The author is merely trying to drum up traffic to his blog.

This last one is one I dug up. Science heavy, but very accurate. Summary should be that 3 sets is better than 1 set for any exercise. They couldn't be sure that more than 3 sets were better as they hadn't done enough studies, but the evidence did indicate it was possible more sets is better (obviously this will have a threshold of some sort).

A

akafuqin

Parts are right, parts are wrong. See some of the other threads on the same topic in that section. I'm sure I posted one by Kravitz that has a better summary of the science of nutrition.

Most of the articles from EFS are pretty decent. This one is no exception.

As the discussion below the article states, this article is shit. The author is merely trying to drum up traffic to his blog.

This last one is one I dug up. Science heavy, but very accurate. Summary should be that 3 sets is better than 1 set for any exercise. They couldn't be sure that more than 3 sets were better as they hadn't done enough studies, but the evidence did indicate it was possible more sets is better (obviously this will have a threshold of some sort).

Thanks for the input! Looks like I'm going straight to the sticky's to get the basics down, then follow up on the regular threads after.