• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

palumbo diet

• Thread starter atomic strenght
  • Start date
atomic strenght

atomic strenght

what do you guys think of the palumbo diet?is it effective?

MrChewiebitums

MrChewiebitums

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
its a keto diet.
if your body responds to keto well, then its effective.. if it doesnt.. then its not effective

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I'm not a fan of ketogenic diets. Ketones are actually mildly toxic to brain tissues (and is also why mild use of it can help with epilesy I believe), long term use of a ketogenic diet causes all sorts of health problems (kidney stones and calcium excretion being the most common), and it isn't really much better than other diet plans.

nigster

nigster

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
For what I've understood, it is just a plain keto diet. But is there something else in it? The magic Palumbo touch maybe? :)

Anyway, I think it is a diet amongst all of the others. It is very suitable for some people and it's kinda easy to just cut your carbs to "zero" and that's pretty much it. I don't like keto diet that much.

MetalMX

MetalMX

Tim makes a good point.

You could end up with fatty liver and diabetes on these types of diets long term. Ketogenic diets are best left for diabetes or seizures patients.

atomic strenght

atomic strenght

it sucks to be a competitive bodybuilder in my country they keep postponing shows at the last minute and dieting becomes a mess without knowing exactly how far is the show

M

mvsf1

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ Sorry to hear that, keep us updated and good luck!

PS: may I ask where are you from?

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ Sorry. This was from university memory of physiology. Easiest to google scholar search or grab a physiology book on google books.

Big_Guns_Lance

Big_Guns_Lance

Eat, lift, sleep, repeat.
VIP
^ Daym that was a looooooong time ago, you have a good memory :p

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
Cork

Cork

Hmmm ok. I'll see what I can turn up.

I do know that ketosis is used to treat young epilepsy patients, but I don't understand how it would work because of its toxicity. That's totally counterintuitive.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Hmmm ok. I'll see what I can turn up.

I do know that ketosis is used to treat young epilepsy patients, but I don't understand how it would work because of its toxicity. That's totally counterintuitive.

I think it depends on the type of ketone (e.g. fructose is a ketone). Brain tissues can use some ketones for energy but ketosis produces all sorts of ketones. The main three are generally able to be processed, but in high levels they aren't used and thus accumulate and cause problems.

Not science but I was able to find this lay explanation that is a little biased but explains things:
Atkins Diet -- The Final Verdict
The Low Carb-Ketosis Link

By severely limiting carbohydrates in your diet, the main energy source used by your body, glucose, drops to low levels. In return, insulin levels also drop.

With low glucose and low insulin levels, the body turns to alternative sources of energy.

Because of a significant change in your body's chemistry when on a low Carb diet, certain metabolic pathways are turned "on" that are normally not "on" or run at very low levels. One such pathway involves the breakdown of fat, called Beta-Oxidation of Fats.

Now, normally fats are broken down to produce energy when your body senses a need. But in the context of a low Carb diet, the normal breakdown pathway of fats is altered and an alternative pathway kicks in. This alternative pathway produces what are called ketone bodies.

Ketosis is the term used to describe when ketone bodies are circulating in your bloodstream. The ketone bodies can be used as alternative sources of energy by, most importantly, your brain.

In case you might be curious, the three ketone bodies produced by this alternative pathway for breaking down fat are acetoacetate, beta-hydroxybutyrate, and acetone. These ketone bodies are formed in your liver and then are transported to other tissues, mainly the brain. In your brain, they are converted back to a form that can provide direct energy during times of starvation.

Here is the whole process...

1. Atkins Diet lowers glucose and insulin (the body's main energy source)

2. Alternative pathways are turned "on" to provide energy

3. One alternative pathway breaks down fat and produces ketone bodies

4. Ketone bodies represent the state called ketosis

5. The brain uses ketone bodies as an alternative source of energy

So, the Atkins Diet (and any low Carb diet) produces a low energy state (low glucose) that causes the breakdown of fat using an alternative pathway that leads to the development of ketosis.

So far the Atkins Diet sounds pretty good. By limiting Carbs in your diet, you can essentially force your body into breaking down stored fat, the very thing you need to get rid of to lose weight.

But there are problems...

Atkins Diet and Toxicity

Ketone bodies are toxic. Many supporters of low Carb diets claim that ketosis is safe. They state that ketone bodies are natural by-products of fat breakdown and even babies have high levels of circulating ketone bodies.

First, they are not natural by-products of fat metabolism. The normal beta-oxidation of fats does produce ketone bodies but these are incorporated into the normal cycle of energy production, called the Krebs cycle. When ketone bodies are circulating in your bloodstream, it signals an abnormal physiologic state, called starvation. They are not incorporated into the normal energy cycle, the Krebs cycle, and the ketone bodies spill into the bloodstream.

Just because your body has the ability to transport ketone bodies to certain tissues and then use them for energy, does not make it a normal process. It is an alternative pathway that turns "on" only when your body is faced with depleted levels of the main energy source, glucose.

Secondly, babies are not small adults. A baby's liver and brain tissue are made up of different chemicals and pathways, specifically geared to handle the high fat diet coming from mother's milk. These pathways change as a baby grows and starts to eat other foods. Eventually, the normal adult pathways are set up and the infantile chemistry used as evidence to support the safety of ketosis, stop working.

But this is not even related to the fact that ketone bodies are toxic. In medicine, the three ketone bodies mentioned above are classified as toxic acidic chemicals. At high levels, they can cause your blood to become too acidic, a disease state called ketoacidosis.

Granted, this is rare because most of the ketone bodies will be used by the brain as an energy source. Ketoacidosis is usually seen in type 1 diabetics. It is a medical emergency.

So, is ketosis dangerous to your body? Yes and no. Yes, ketosis represents a state of starvation. Losing weight when the body thinks you're starving is the best way to guarantee weight regain. The weight will come back and come back as fat.

No, ketosis will not cause ketoacidosis in non-diabetics. And as long as you have a large storage of fat, your brain will not starve for energy.

The Final Verdict

1. As an alternative physiologic state, ketosis is not dangerous, assuming the levels of ketone bodies do not increase to acidic levels.

2. As a diet plan, ketogenic diets are not recommended because of the state of starvation they create. Your metabolism will eventually slow down setting you up for weight regain in the near the future.

3. Ketogenic diets, like the Atkins Diet, may also be dangerous not because they cause ketosis, but because they promote high protein and fat intake. High protein diets, unless you're body building, increases urea production and can damage the kidneys. Supporters claim that this just doesn't happen, reporting that no kidney damage has occurred to the millions of dieters on Atkins Diet or other ketogenic diets.

However, it is well known that acidic chemicals, like ketone bodies, can cause microscopic damage to occur, effecting the kidney's ability to filter the blood. But clinical signs of this damage may take several years to manifest. Chronic renal insufficiency is a concern for ketogenic dieters, which may cause problems in the years to come.

Conclusion - The Atkins Diet

Atkins Diet and other ketogenic diets (low Carb) can be safe and effective in causing weight loss. However, I recommend keeping ketosis to a minimum and keep your carbohydrate intake above 50 grams a day. Don't follow the suggestions for reaching an "induction" phase. It's not necessary to reach induction to turn "on" the alternative pathways described above and burn fat.

Remember, healthy weight loss is to burn fat and fat only. But it also involves keeping your rate of weight loss around 2-3 pounds/week. The induction phase promoted by the Atkins Diet can result in a rate of weight loss far greater than 2-3 pounds/week. It may sound good to you now, but how does gaining it all back as fat sound? Because that will happen if you lose weight too fast.

atomic strenght

atomic strenght

^^ Sorry to hear that, keep us updated and good luck!

PS: may I ask where are you from?
im from morocco .we have some good bodybuilders but competitions are a mess .you are dieting for a show but you don't even know when exactly is it gonna be.you do the carb load and then they say that the show is postponed.:bball: such a shame.