• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

U.S., Russia make breakthrough on nuclear arms

Big VIC

Big VIC

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
WASHINGTON — The United States and Russia reached a breakthrough agreement Wednesday for a historic treaty to reduce the nuclear arsenals of the former Cold War rivals, the most significant pact in a generation and an important milestone in the decadeslong quest to lower the risk of global nuclear war.

After long and trying negotiations, President Obama and Russian President Dmitry Medvedev are to sign the treaty in two weeks in Prague, once final technical details are worked out, officials in Washington and Moscow said. The accord is expected to cut the number of long-range nuclear weapons held by each side to about 1,500, and it raises hopes for further disarmament.

The deal is seen as sealing an increased level of trust and cooperation between the United States and Russia, who possess the vast majority of the world's nuclear arms and have labored under strained relations in recent years.

Obama and Medvedev are expected to seal the deal when they talk by telephone this week, setting the stage for a White House campaign to win Senate ratification. The treaty also must win approval by the Russian Duma, and the two legislative processes are likely to take months.

Robert S. Norris, a longtime analyst of U.S. and Russian nuclear arsenals, said Senate ratification would not be easy.

"Hard negotiations with the Russians will now be followed by hard negotiations with Republican senators to achieve ratification," Norris said.

The new agreement to reduce long-range nuclear weapons would replace the 1991 Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty, which expired in December. An important feature of the new deal is that it includes a legal mechanism for verifying that each side complies - an element that was absent from a 2002 deal, known as the Moscow Treaty, that accelerated the weapons reductions laid out in the 1991 treaty.

The Moscow Treaty set limits on both sides' strategic nuclear warheads between 1,700 and 2,200. The new deal, whose provisions have not been made public, is expected to lower that to about 1,500. It also would reduce the permissible number of strategic launchers - the missiles and bombs that deliver warheads to their targets.

(C) San Francisco Chronicle 2010

U.S., Russia make breakthrough on nuclear arms - SFGate

M

mvsf1

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
They will still have the power to put the Eath in an "nuclear winter"... who cares if they have 2000 or 20000 ICMBs...

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Sorry I'm sure I've read this headline before, many decades ago.

Guess they'll have a new Coke flavour announcement soon.

Braaq

Braaq

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Sorry I'm sure I've read this headline before, many decades ago.

Guess they'll have a new Coke flavour announcement soon.

Just a renewal, still though, 1500 is still too many. It doesn't prevent a nuclear war that could destroy the world.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Just a renewal, still though, 1500 is still too many. It doesn't prevent a nuclear war that could destroy the world.

I was more making a comment that they have been talking about nuclear disarmament since I was a kid and it still hasn't happened. This is just another announcement in a long line of announcements that have resulted in very little change.

M

mvsf1

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ Yeah, but what would you expect? Israel, Pakistan, India... they all have nuclear armament, the US and Russia won't lose their "power".