• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Rice or Potato?

dilatedmuscle

dilatedmuscle

Mecca Super-*****
VIP
Hey guys, just wondering what kind of carbs i should take post workout. Should i eat some rice or potato? doesnt matter? pro's and cons?

Help will be repped :D

T

tavuthekid

white rice is better due to the glycemic levels needed after the workout but also for the higher insulin that white rice has compared to the potato.soz for my english

dilatedmuscle

dilatedmuscle

Mecca Super-*****
VIP
I see, thanks Tavu!

pakiman

pakiman

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Hey guys, just wondering what kind of carbs i should take post workout. Should i eat some rice or potato? doesnt matter? pro's and cons?

Help will be repped :D

Rice and Potatos... hey thats the time you can "indulge" yourself :)
Easiest and best soln is a post workout protein shake that has creatine & some kind of fast carb because the window to replenish your muscle is too short for carbs that take long to get there! I use Dextros because its dirt cheap & has very high GI value
Potato (when backed/microwaved :drool:) and white rice both sit high on glycemic index so if you are thinking for choosing between rice & potatos then dont !:) Eat either or both just watch the quantity but thats a given right?

BigBen

BigBen

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
What type of potato and what kind of rice are you talking about?

Post workout should be simple sugars and whey followed up by a solid food meal an hour or so later.

dilatedmuscle

dilatedmuscle

Mecca Super-*****
VIP
What type of potato and what kind of rice are you talking about?

Post workout should be simple sugars and whey followed up by a solid food meal an hour or so later.

damn i dunno, for the potato it just says "idaho potato" doesnt specify, they are simple looking brown potatos. And the rice just says long grain enriched white rice.

I know i drink a PWO shake but i was reffering to the meal afterwards.

BigBen

BigBen

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Honestly i prefer grains and starchy vegetables for carbohydrates. Potatoes are a good source of potassium and a descent source of minerals if you eat the skin. I prefer grains and starchy vegetables to white rice any day b/c of higher nutrient content/ antioxidant content. White potatoes have a LOT of starch per amount of weight for their size. So, if money is an issue white potatoes are a good choice, and red ones have even more starch per amount of weight than brown potatoes do. Red potatoes almost get gummy when you cook them they are so densely packed with starches.

dilatedmuscle

dilatedmuscle

Mecca Super-*****
VIP
Honestly i prefer grains and starchy vegetables for carbohydrates. Potatoes are a good source of potassium and a descent source of minerals if you eat the skin. I prefer grains and starchy vegetables to white rice any day b/c of higher nutrient content/ antioxidant content. White potatoes have a LOT of starch per amount of weight for their size. So, if money is an issue white potatoes are a good choice, and red ones have even more starch per amount of weight than brown potatoes do. Red potatoes almost get gummy when you cook them they are so densely packed with starches.

ah, i see. Ill get some red potatoes next time. Can you give me some examples of the types of grains and starchy vegetables you would eat?

BigBen

BigBen

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
For vegetable: potato, squash, pumpkin, legumes/beans, and peas. Grains try:Oats, brown rice, millet, barley, rye, grains that can be classified as cereal grains are what you should be looking for b/c they are loaded with B-vitamins, vitamin A, C, vitamin K also potassium, sodium, calcium, phosphorus, chloride, zinc, copper, magnesium, iodine, manganese, molybdenum, and selenium.(yes, I did look that up b/c i could not remember them all) They are just a healthier option when compared to white rice.

If you choose to use the grains when they are done cooking allow the grains to sit for 10 minutes or so to soak some of the water back up. Some starch and some water soluble vitamins and minerals are dispersed into that cooking water, not that it is a huge deal but why lose them if you don't have to.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Cereals are loaded
ejg3yx-1.gif

They are only loaded in comparison because rice has nothing in it.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
dilatedmuscle

dilatedmuscle

Mecca Super-*****
VIP
Thanks man, really helpful!

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ It wasn't clear, so I just wanted to add that point :xyxthumbs:

BigBen

BigBen

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
No Beau, Tim was correctly pointing out that i used the word "loaded" but in reality these grains/cereals do not contain TONS of vitamins they actually contain smaller amounts.

Tims correct

Folk Artist

Folk Artist

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Potatoes are very nutrient-rich complex carbs, and they are very starchy but with most healthy individuals they are good in moderation. Potatoes are not a good carb though if you are diabetic. After a workout some rice with some meat or black beans would be good for muscle growth.

Alexandoy

Alexandoy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
We are rice eaters although I love potatoes especially mashed potatoes with steak. I think either is good although rice is for the long run. However, if you are not rice eater then it is better to stick to your staple where your body is comfortable. Shifting to another staple might ruin your dietary requirements.

Kakashi2020

Kakashi2020

Both are good for muscle development rice has more carbs which is good for burning energy while potatoes have a lot of potassium and useful minerals. I come from a rice producing country and we have a good variety of rice two of which are brown rice and red rice which beats potatoes when it comes to nutritional benefits.

Mildredtabitha

Mildredtabitha

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Here in our country we eat rice with stewed potatoes.it is ver y delicious and am sure youll like it. also potatoes can be boiled and eaten with it.