• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Squats VS Deadlifts

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
jopplogosmallnoline-1.gif

TITLE: Research on squat vs. deadlift

There’s a great new study out that looked at the similarities and differences between the squat and deadlift. This study basically addresses what the similarities and differences might mean in terms of your training. Though this research review appears in our current issue, the Journal of Pure Power (JOPP) wanted to share it with the readers of Powerlifting Watch for free so that you may see what was done and discuss it right here in this news piece.

Squat Vs. Deadlift

Dan Wagman, Ph.D., C.S.C.S.

Publisher/Editor in Chief
Body Intellect Sports Performance Enhancement Consortium
“Propel Yourself Into Excellence”

Research on Squat vs. Deadlift

Squatting and deadlifting are two of the most popular exercises for developing overall strength and muscle. Squats and deadlifts both target the glutes, hamstrings, and quads, but which one is better for you?

Squats are a great exercise for working the entire lower body. They activate the glutes, hamstrings, and quads more than any other exercise. Squats also improve flexibility and balance.

Deadlifts are a great exercise for overall strength. They work the entire body, including the back, glutes, hamstrings, and quads. Deadlifts also help to improve posture.

So which one is better? It depends on your goals. If you’re looking for overall strength, then deadlifts are the better choice. If you’re looking to develop muscle in the glutes, hamstrings, and quads, then squats are the better choice.

Last edited by a moderator:
tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I thought I had read this study just recently. They went into the cross over between the two lifts and concluded that there was very little carryover so both needed to be trained. Can't remember if they took into account PLing gear or not.

It was in a recent edition of the J of St and Cond Research.

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
I've found that Increasing my squat has a crossover effect into the initiation part of my deadlift.

Cork

Cork

Rippetoe wrote about it briefly in Starting Strength. He states that while the deadlift takes a lot of leg work, it doesn't require the amount of activation that the squat needs because of the depth differences. And here are some diagrams cause pictures are fun and I'm pretty sure it's all you powerlifter types can understand.

Last edited by a moderator:
MrChewiebitums

MrChewiebitums

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
is it me or are the knees a little bit too far out?

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Rippetoe isn't exactly a scientist measuring the people as they do a movement. Rather he is an author who is taking a stab at things.

Cork

Cork

True, he isn't a scientist, but he does have enough "study" in the field. I think we could say that he has enough knowledge on the subject so that when he puts things into published books he isn't just "taking a stab at it."

But we are talking about the same point here anyhow. Both lifts rule, and they should both be done.

Oh also... I haven't read the original article yet...:doh:

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ To quote the authors: they did a kinematic analysis that was able to identify things that the human eye cannot see, despite supposed similarities in the movement types.