• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Grippers

Big_Guns_Lance

Big_Guns_Lance

Eat, lift, sleep, repeat.
VIP
Ok, so I'm thinking of putting in an order for the captain crushers no.1 gripper because I want to bring my grip up (somewhat dramatically) because I think its a neccesity to have a very strong grip in the gym if you wish to push higher and higher poundages. And since I was using straps for first 3 years of training of so, I'm kinda behind with my grip.

So, who's got them and are they good? Detail on how long it took to develop onto the next gripper etc.

Thanks in advance.

Clint

Clint

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I would suggest not wasting the money. There is plenty of specific grip training you can do in the gym with what they provide for you.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I've got the Trainer, #1 and #2. I enjoy using them, but the Ivanko spring gripper that can be adjusted would be what I would buy. Progressive overload with the CoC is harder as there are some huge jumps between grippers. Trainer to #1 is 20kg then it is something like 40kg to the #2 and another 40kg to #3.

As Clint points out there are plenty of grip training methods that don't require grippers. Also grippers will only train crushing strength, not supporting or pinching strength (although there is some carryover). Supporting is the grip strength you use the most in the gym, which is better trained with timed holds, thick bars, etc.

Big_Guns_Lance

Big_Guns_Lance

Eat, lift, sleep, repeat.
VIP
Thanks guys

Yes I heard there's quite a big jump between the numbers although they do have .5 now so there's less jump.

I've been doing barbell holds with one arm timed to strengthen my grip for deads etc. I want the crushers basically because I know there's carry over like you said and because I'm genuinely interested in developing a crushing grip. I've hand a look at that other gripper Tim but for some reason I don't like the look of it, looks long and awkward.

I tried pinch holds with plates the other fay too and my god they are hard!

Cork

Cork

Get some fat gripz. I use them all the time now and I feel like my grip is a lot better. I used to need straps for 300lb deadlifts now I can do it with just a little chalk.

Storm

Storm

Strongripology priest
VIP
^^ if you don't have any thick bars available one little but insightful advice tim gave me once was to wrap your gim towel around the bar to thicken it when doing some exercises (ie. DB rows).