• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Paleo diet, anyone tried?

philosopher

philosopher

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Is there someone who tried the paleo diet? Did you get good results and what do you think of it in general.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Isn't this the "eat unprocessed foods" diet?

Most of the hype around it is based off of allergies but somewhat falsely extends that to a broader community.

BigBen

BigBen

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
In what area does this gentleman have his doctorate?

Generally speaking, any diet that limits/eliminates processed foods and extra food additives appears to be beneficial especially in avoiding the disease process. It is fact that the processed foods have less nutrients in them to support life and prevent free radical damage when compared to the diet he suggests. Their are plenty of study's that suggest the health risks of preservatives, and most of them are in the long run unless a person has allergies. The processed foods shift the probability against you and in favor of contracting disease simply b/c they lack the nutrition that appears to prevent disease. Higher amounts of nutrient dense food and more antioxidant dense foods are the the way to go for health. Is their something specifically you want to know? I am not familiar with the specifics of the paleo diet but the guidelines seem alright in light of modern research. I would have to read the specifics and the studies the diets author uses to support his claims to give you an honest opinion concerning the diet.

The diseases he mentions, cardiovascular disease, diabetes, cancer, osteoporosis, arthritis, acne, GI diseases, and some auto immune diseases all have lots of evidence behind them suggesting that lifestyle and nutrition play a big role in contracting those diseases. Mainly that if you have the genes for those diseases nutrition can shift the probability strongly in your favor of not getting them. If you have the diet to contract those diseases then changing your nutrition can ease symptoms and/or eliminate the dysfunction entirely depending on the extent of damage done to the tissues/DNA. He has not really said anything new he has just packaged the material gave it a nice name and sold it with marketing and his doctorate.

Last edited:
tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ It is amazing the amount of problems preservatives and the like have been linked with. Yet they are still commonly used. Most of the really bad ones were gotten rid of when I was a child (I was having a lot of issues with them). But I still find today that if I am away from home the preservatives in foods really catches up with me.

I think this diet goes one step further and denies the use of anything that wasn't available outside of a cave. So any grains, dairy, etc. I think he takes it one step too far.