• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Wilks method for single lifts?

PrizeFighteR

PrizeFighteR

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Hey guys, I am potentially running either a push/pull or a straight bench competition for my school's gym. I am wondering if there is a method for comparing different weightclasses and genders for single lifts (like bench). I have read that Wilks is really only good for doing that with totals.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Natzo

Natzo

Elvira turns me on
VIP
just search for wilks calculator on any search engine, that will do .

the guy with the highest wilk is the winner.
poundage ans weight are taken into account, and gives you who really is the strongest weight/poundage moved.

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
Wilks was designed using totals so of course its going to throw out less than perfect results for single lifts. In benching it will favour the heavier lifter and in deads it will favour the lighter so in a push/pull comp this might balance out. It is used in bench-only competitions but this does cause a few complaints from lighter lifters.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
There are other comparison calculators out there. One was developed by Mel Siff, another by Fred Hatfield. Do a search and you'll find quite a few in use. There are also papers on which are the best comparisons for weight lifted and BW of the athletes. Admittedly these are usually for weightlifting not powerlifting.

PrizeFighteR

PrizeFighteR

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
thanks guys!

Tim I ran across those, I'm going to keep reading about them.

PrizeFighteR

PrizeFighteR

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Tim or Freako, which do you feel would be best for using for combining bench and deadlift?

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Tim or Freako, which do you feel would be best for using for combining bench and deadlift?

The one that gives me the better result.

Seriously I don't know. Be better to search the PLing forums for an answer. Or alternatively make a spread sheet and see which favours whom. Either make up some lifts or grab a recent comps lifts then see where it ranks various BW lifters.

PrizeFighteR

PrizeFighteR

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
The one that gives me the better result.

Seriously I don't know. Be better to search the PLing forums for an answer. Or alternatively make a spread sheet and see which favours whom. Either make up some lifts or grab a recent comps lifts then see where it ranks various BW lifters.

will do thanks.