• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

What do you guys think about this shrug?

dilatedmuscle

dilatedmuscle

Mecca Super-*****
VIP
Is it safe? I need bigger traps but lower traps especially... Is this exercise safe on the shoulder joint? I would like to incorporate it if it recruits the lower traps well. I try doing wide grip seated cable rows up to my chest for my lower traps but i dont feel it that well.. what do you guys think?

Feel free to post pictures of women with big asses.

Last edited by a moderator:
Natzo

Natzo

Elvira turns me on
VIP
I do it and it's great exercise, just don't use the normal poundage that you're able to lift in the front version cause yes you aren't able and it can cause some stress on the shoulder.

done in controlled fashion it is great.

try it out.

Reactions: dilatedmuscle
dilatedmuscle

dilatedmuscle

Mecca Super-*****
VIP
Thanks Natzo! if i have the energy to train back today, ill do them for sure.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Won't recruit the lower traps with any standing shrug. Also any shrug that requires arm bend will limit the amount of load you can use which defeats the purpose of doing shrugs at all.

Best trap work you'll do is cleans, snatches, or deadlifts. Another I like is the bench shrug. Set up an incline bench and lay down and just shrug (I used to do these with a machine bench press).

Reactions: dilatedmuscle
dilatedmuscle

dilatedmuscle

Mecca Super-*****
VIP
im gonna try rack pulls, last time i did heavy rack pulls i really felt my lower traps. I dont feel it much during deadlifts but i always do deadlifts for good measure.

KingDeadlift

KingDeadlift

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
These are wicked on your traps... I do them with an EZ curl bar from the lower pully of a rack

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
im gonna try rack pulls, last time i did heavy rack pulls i really felt my lower traps. I dont feel it much during deadlifts but i always do deadlifts for good measure.

Won't really hit lower traps that way either. Lower traps are usually underdone in most lifters because the mid and upper traps are more heavily involved. Things like YTL's and Scarecrows, facepulls to some extent, and some of the physio movements are what is needed to hit the lower traps.

dilatedmuscle

dilatedmuscle

Mecca Super-*****
VIP
Thanks for the tips.

What are YTL's?

Also, when i tried OH squat, i really felt it in my lower traps, does that recruit them well?

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
philosopher

philosopher

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Power shrugs for overall trap development! Great exercise! For the rest I'm with Tim

dilatedmuscle

dilatedmuscle

Mecca Super-*****
VIP
thanks for the tips, would the YTWL's be good for building the muscle even though you dont use weights?

Cork

Cork

I love these, you can add weight.

And:

Both are great for posture and shoulder health.

Last edited by a moderator:
tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
thanks for the tips, would the YTWL's be good for building the muscle even though you dont use weights?

You can use weight with them. Not usually anything heavy though. I was put through the wringer with 2kg DB the first time I did them.

dilatedmuscle

dilatedmuscle

Mecca Super-*****
VIP
thanks for the videos Cork, i have a feeling my traps will grow a lot these next 12 months!

dilatedmuscle

dilatedmuscle

Mecca Super-*****
VIP
Cleans are for jerks

dilatedmuscle

dilatedmuscle

Mecca Super-*****
VIP
^ correct.

Actually, ive done cleans before but i'm worried that my form is bad and i might hurt myself.

Last edited:
tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Why do people worry so much about getting C&J technique correct yet don't give a rats arse about squats, curls or bench technique?

I posted a series of vids in the article section on how to learn the weightlifting moves at home. They are quite good. Main thing is to either video tape or get a feel for your body movement and what you need to do with each lift. Continuous critiqueing is what is needed (as with most lifts).