• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Sets/Reps/Weights?

T

taylorrmj

I had a question about how I should lift now, Iam starting my weight loss plan and want to start lifting weights now. Iam already a fat guy380lb now should I lift light with more reps or lift heavy with a lot of reps or just do cardio and stomach? Aslo whats the best excersie to do to get rid of my stomach the lower is the worst and the sides need help!! Thanks

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
What experience do you have with lifting weights?

None: just learn to lift properly first.
Some: relearn to lift properly first and just progressively add weight or sets as needed.
A lot: relearn to lift properly first and just progressively add weight or sets as needed.

Don't get caught up in X sets of Y reps at Z weight. It is more important to get your form correct on Squats, Deadlifts, Dips, Chins, Rows, Bench, etc than how much you do on them. Once form is able to be maintained through a full ROM then adding weight can become an issue.

NB: I put chins and dips on the list and I know that they are probably out of your reach. The idea is to build up to being able to do them.

Storm

Storm

Strongripology priest
VIP
I agree with tim here (as a rule of thumb you can pretty much trust his words on this regard). You better learn good form now because getting rid of bad form in the future will be much more harder. I've spent like a year relearning how to squat due to bad form and using a Smith machine in the past. It's no fun, believe me on this.
I only wanted to add that there's nothing that can help you lose fat for any specific point. Spot reduction doesn't exits, that's all. Stick to the basic compound multi-joint exercises such as those tim suggested and you'll be fine. Once you start dieting and exercising your whole body will shed excess fat globally, and usually the first places where your body store it (in males it's normally gut/lovehandles) will be the last places to get totally lean, that's the sad truth. You can think of it like these are your body's "last reserve" so your metabolism will be hesitant to get rid of them.

PS: At the beginning it'll be hard, it will hurt and your whole body will be sore no matter how light or easy you lift. Stay focused and don't quit because once your body get use to it it become much easier. By the second month the magic begins and you'll start noticing that you can do a lot more exercise with less effort, if you are able to reach that point you'll be in the good track. Good luck and keep us updated.

Last edited:
T

taylorrmj

Hey guys thanks for the words of wisdom It helps me in everyway so here I go I just have to keep myself motivated through this long process but i have no other choice thanks and I will keep you updated thanks!!!!