• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Simple-er carbs?

dilatedmuscle

dilatedmuscle

Mecca Super-*****
VIP
Do carbs come in just complex and simple form? are some more simple then others or are all simple carbs the same?

BigBen

BigBen

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
All Carbohydrates containing foods are definitely not the same. A lot of studies were being done on just one nutrient and it is becoming more evident to the scientific community that studying one nutrient separate from the whole food is a flawed idea. Foods do not exist in nature that are composed of just one nutrient. The refined foods, the foods that are stripped of nutrients, the foods responsible for the idea that carbohydrates make you fat, those foods are composed of sugars, saturated fats, trans-saturated fats and void of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants, phytonutrients, polyphenols, bioflavanoids, ect. What I am crawling towards is the idea that the metabolic performance of whole foods is different than the metabolic performance of the consumption of those same refined nutrients in those whole foods. Science has not come close to identifying all the nutrient interaction that occurs during digestion, and their is nothing wrong with that. Nutrient interaction is mind boggling. We have several very useful models of what occurs during digestion, absorption and metabolism, and that is what we work from to achieve useful results. Nutrients are not nutrients just like a calorie is not a calorie.

I would be concerned not only with the type of carbohydrate you consume, but the type of food in which the carbohydrate exists. Am i eating a refined product or am I eating a whole food? I would be eating the whole foods a large majority of the time, especially on a high calorie diet. The refined foods just do not possess the nutrition to deal with daily living in a life supporting manner. Every day the body deals with oxidative stress, stress, toxicity, metabolic requirements, ect. The foods that support those needs are whole foods, fruits, vegetable, nuts, seeds, beans, and on a smaller scale used as a tool, animal protein.

I feel like describing the above was necessary to give you a really adequate answer to your question. You are going to make a food choice based on the information you have and I do not want you to get lost in growth but rather in health then growth. When i talk about carbohydrates below and discuss digestion i am referring to that type of carbohydrate and its ingestion by itself. The rate of digestion is different when the carbohydrates are ingested as: carb- protein, or carb-fat, or carb-fat-protein. Also the longer the carbohydrate chain the longer that chain will take to digest.

Complex and simple are general categories that describe the number of Carbon-hydrogen-Oxygen atoms found in a 1-2-1 ratio in the chain of carbohydrates. Carb(carbon)-o(oxygen)-hydr(hydrogen) the suffix -ate is the result of naming the chemical compound containing carbon-hydrogen-oxygen. I am sure you have at some point heard of the terms mono-saccharride, di-saccharride,tri-saccharrides, tetra-saccharrides, oligo-saccharride, and poly-saccharride. These are all different terms used to categorize different lengths of carbohydrate chains.

The shorter the chain the quicker the carbohydrate is digested. Simple carbohydrates are associated with the term high glycemic. Simple carbohydrates digest faster and generally do not contain any fiber. carbohydrates are the shorter chain carbohydrates: mono-saccharrides, and di-saccharrides. Mono-saccharrides consist of a single carbohydrate molecule. Types of mono-saccharrides are: Glucose, fructose, and deoxyribose. Di-saccharrides are composed of two mono-saccharrides. Types of di-saccharrides are: sucrose, lactose, maltose, trehalose, turanose, cellobiose.

Oligo-saccharrides are carbohydrate polymers consisting of 3-7 mono-saccharride units. Tri- and tetra-saccharrides fall under these categories respectively possessing 3 and 4 mono-saccharrides each.

Poly-saccharrides are composed of many different saccharride units linked by glucosidic bonds. Complex carbohydrates fall under this category. Such complex carbohydrates are: cellulose(plant starch/fiber) humans do not hve the appropriate enzymes to digest cellulose, glycogen(human starch).

Understanding chemistry will provide you with a more clear explanation of the different nutrients and nutrient categories that get talked about so frequently in different magazines and subcultures. We are really giving shorter names and different slang to chemical compounds that exist in food. It should be obvious that if you want a greater understanding of food then you need a greater understanding of chemistry.

I hope i provided you with some clarity.

Having said the above remember that the carbohydrate by itself is not your sole concern. Your concern is finding nutrient dense foods that have carbohydrates in them b/c at the moment research heavily supports whole foods nutrition over refined nutrient consumption for health.

Ben

Last edited:
Reactions: dilatedmuscle
dilatedmuscle

dilatedmuscle

Mecca Super-*****
VIP
THanks big ben, i read all of it. A bit had me like @_@ lol but i have a better understanding now, i appreciate you taking the time and i think other people would benefit from reading this.

Folk Artist

Folk Artist

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I would stick to the more complex carbs, because they are digested more slowly than the simple carbohydrates, and most of them don't spike your blood sugar so fast. The healthiest are the least processed or refined- and these include whole grains, starchy and non-starchy vegetables and legumes are the best complex carbs. Some of these include brown rice, barely, oatmeal, and other whole grains as well- sweet potatoes and potatoes are good complex carbs as well.

Alexandoy

Alexandoy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
To be honest I am surprised to know that there are simple and complex carbohydrates. The only carbs that I know is the rice and the tubers like mashed potatoes or yam. When I need stamina and strength during my younger days I would eat mashed potatoes with steak. But if there is no steak I would cook french fries with white onions and mimic the steak with soy sauce that I can eat that with vegetable salad. There's no protein though but there is carbs.

Heatman

Heatman

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Definitely, there are simple and complex carbs, based on what training routines you engage in would determine what kind of carb you should be eating.

H

heavyhitter

rice is a simple carbohydrate. cyclic dextrin is a simple carb also....but is absorbed muuuuch more quickly. So in a way i guess there are simpler carbs

Kakashi2020

Kakashi2020

There are 2 kinds of Carbs, Sugars and Starches. Sugars are what is called Simple Carbs, this means sugars that comes from fruits like Fructose and Glucose. On the other hand Starches are called Complex Carbs, learned that from fitness magazine.

Heatman

Heatman

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
rice is a simple carbohydrate. cyclic dextrin is a simple carb also....but is absorbed muuuuch more quickly. So in a way i guess there are simpler carbs

Exactly! Rice is a very good carb and it's a meal that is very common with people living in my state. I'm not sure if there is no family here that doesn't eat rice at least 3 times in a week and a must on every Sunday.

NoviceNinja

NoviceNinja

The sad part is this is basically everything I eat at home. As much as possible I try to take them in moderation because I don't want to be a diabetic patient soon.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
H

heavyhitter

The sad part is this is basically everything I eat at home. As much as possible I try to take them in moderation because I don't want to be a diabetic patient soon.
You dont become diabetic by eating carbs. You become diabetic by being sedentary and unhealthy. Asians eat a shitload of white rice, but their incidences of diabetes are much lower than ours