• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Drug Justice!

PistolPete

PistolPete

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
After years of hype about the "dangers of steroids" it's good to see an article that shows some justice in what substances are truly harmful to ones body.

This article is mostly about alcohol, but the last paragraph denotes a handful of drugs that were scored from 1-100, 1 being not harmful at all, and 100 being extremely harmful. Anabolic Steroids were rated a 9.

BigBen

BigBen

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
i would be interested in seeing what the dosages they used for the drugs were to determine the 'danger' of that drug. It is careless for this article to be printed without the dosages used. This article also has a lot of flaws in theory. The harmful substances are also the more widely used substances bc they are legal. I would not use this article as any kind of guidelines for making a choice because the article has a lot of logical errors and over extensions of evidence. It is to vague to be making the claims that it does. I might be saying something different if i could actually read the studies they used but from what is given in the article, this is very careless.

For instance if the claim that say heroine is less harmful than alcohol is based off of statistical data of the TOTAL accidents that occur when one is drinking vs when one is using heroine, then the data has a huge prejudice. The number of heroine users is not as great as the number of alcohol users, so of course the number of accidents from alcohol is larger b/c the number of people who use alcohol is greater. Their claim would have more meaning if they did a accident percentage of all that used alcohol and an accident percentage of all that used heroine and compared those percentages from the individual groups to each other that would have more meaning. In this case we could say that based on the data we have people who are heroine users are less likely to get into auto accidents than people who consume alcohol, but even then we would have to take into account dosages of each drug, BAC and the amount of heroine in the blood.

What does the word 'dangerous' mean? Does it mean that one is more likely to harm oneself if they take this drug, or does it mean that physiologically one is more harmful than the other at specific dosages?

I would be interested in seeing the research methodology used and knowing who paid for the studies also.

PistolPete

PistolPete

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I totally agree with everything you're saying Ben, but keep in mind it was a yahoo article. People aren't looking for in depth analysis in these articles (although I would really like to see all the details as well).

I just liked the article on the small but singular fact that they rated Anabolic steroids so low in being harmful. What harmful means, who knows! But its good to see that there was some sort of general consensus that there are a multitude of illegal substances that should have more attention brought to the publics ears and eyes rather then anabolic steroids.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
His article from the Lancet:
http://science.iowamedicalmarijuana.org/pdfs/safety/Nutt Rational Scale Drug Harms Lancet 2007.pdf

Google Scholar search:
http://scholar.google.com.au/scholar?hl=en&q=David+Nutt+alcohol&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=ws

Both have some interesting stuff in them. The scholar search shows he has done a large amount of research on alcohol. Problem being that from the Lancet paper I don't think they have weighted the availability or accessibility of the various drugs. If you look at hospital admissions you see over the counter pain meds like ibuprofen suddenly rank highly, more highly than barbituates, but the latter are much more rarely perscribed and in far more serious cases. Has to be weighted to take these sorts of things into account.