• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

training with grippers

Storm

Storm

Strongripology priest
VIP
In an impulsive consumist rage I've just purchased a set of Heavy Grips via ebay. As some of you may know grip strength is one of my multiple weaknesses, I've got the whole thin fingers, girly wrist lot.
I understand that "crushing" strength is only one factor of grip strength but still these toys come handy because you can use them virtually anywhere, anytime. Idk if this is a good tool at all but something is better than nothing I guess.

Now to the point...does anyone know of a good and productive routine to train with these things? (what to do and WHEN to do it)

btw i've got 100,150,200,250 and 300. I have no ****ing idea of which ones will i be able to close for starters.

For those of you that don't know what i'm talking about: http://www.heavygrips.com/

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I'd doubt you'll close the 150 if they are anything like the CoC.

You can't just use them anywhere or anytime. You really need to treat them like any other heavy exercise. I find them best on deadlift or back day, or if you do an arm day then they go well after biceps. Don't do them the day before deadlifting or heavy back work, you might as well kiss your grip goodbye.

Recently with my health my grip has suffered immensely. As a result I have done a number of things. First was I have 2.5" thick bars I use for spinal deloading (done every day), DB rows, warmups, etc. I also load all of my plates via a plate pinch (not as easy as that sounds). I also do gripper work once or twice a microcycle. This has really gotten my grip back, but hasn't improved it past previous levels. I will have to start a proper grip routine soon.

Storm

Storm

Strongripology priest
VIP
Thanks tim. With "anywhere" I mean I can keep and use them at home, thus not "spending more time in the gym". Wife, you know ;)
Any thoughts on set/reps schemes? I've read something about the benefit of doing forced negatives (as in closing a heavy one with both hands and slowy let it open with only one). How do you like that idea?

Natzo

Natzo

Elvira turns me on
VIP
masturbation.

enough said.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Thanks tim. With "anywhere" I mean I can keep and use them at home, thus not "spending more time in the gym". Wife, you know ;)
Any thoughts on set/reps schemes? I've read something about the benefit of doing forced negatives (as in closing a heavy one with both hands and slowy let it open with only one). How do you like that idea?

Low reps, lots of sets. Forced negatives are fine on grippers you can't close, as are timed holds. Just be carefull not to overdo those.

Natzo said:
masturbation.

enough said.

High rep and low loading is just playing with yourself, not strength building.

Last edited:
El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
You read the latest Elite article did you Storm?

Storm

Storm

Strongripology priest
VIP
My grippers have arrived! They look and feel well-built, full metal and sturdy. I've only open the 100lbs one (i'm at work right now) and while I can rep it with both hands it's harder than i thought. I'll let you know how this goes.

EDIT: **** it, i've open them all and we've got a little office contest here haha. I've managed to close the 200lbs with my right hand but it is veeeery hard for me, and it isn't anything near to closing when i do it with my left hand. 300lbs one barely moves a few mm. No one else (untrained individuals) has been able to close the 200lbs and many people fail at 150.

Last edited:
M

mvsf1

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ LOL. Men, always proving their strenght :D:D:D:D

Storm

Storm

Strongripology priest
VIP
^^ LOL. Men, always proving their strenght :D:D:D:D

haha yes, same thing happend when someone brought a powerball to the office. Anyway there's a former rugby player and full-contact fighter who is now starting to lift again who works with us (in other department) and has got some potential but other than that it's pretty much a no-challenge ;)

Last edited:

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I couldn't close my #2 out of the box. Took me a long time to get that one done. Only my Mum and Dad have actually closed it straight up, no-one else (everyone wants to try them though).

I want to get the #3 and probably the 2.5, maybe even the 1.5 for training.

Pickle

Pickle

Team Winklaar
VIP
wait did i read ur mum could close a number 2 gripper first go? Jesus. best mum ever imo

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
wait did i read ur mum could close a number 2 gripper first go? Jesus. best mum ever imo
Yes. Remember that I'm from a farm. M&D worked for 40yrs doing physical labour. Mum regularly closed wire gates that I've seen guys battle with. Dad once deadlifted the seeder bar (few tonnes of iron) when it rolled forward off its jack. We regularly picked up strainer posts (few hundred kilo) and tree logs when fencing. Show me a farmer and I'll show you someone with really big strong hands.

not with her hands though... ;)
The way you're going she'll be using your face to close it in future.

Storm

Storm

Strongripology priest
VIP
lil' update on grippers and grip training.
Both my grip strength AND forearm size have gone through the roof thanks to:

leaving straps at home (easiest to do of all)
deadlifting heavy ('nuff said)
thick-bar (towel-wrapped) Kroc rows (not only they work your grip and forearm, they'll fry your upper back and pump your biceps, all in one exercise)
towel/rope pullups (i can hold myself haging form a straight bar for ages, but 5 reps of these and my hands are on fire)
grippers (i've limited this to once every couple of weeks, since they are really hard on my wrists)

If anyone interested i can elaborate, but if you incorporate this simple things into your training you'll grow great hands ;)