• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

PHIL HEATH NOT COMPETING IN ARNOLD CLASSIC!

DeQu

DeQu

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
heath_no_arnold-1.jpg

HEATH TO SKIP THE ARNOLD
Will focus on Olympia only in 2011

December 13, 2010
FLEXONLINE.COM

Phil Heath has decided to skip major competitions before. But none of those decisions was tougher than his most recent: to sit out the 2011 Arnold Classic to focus solely on being his best ever at the 2011 Olympia.

"It was a very hard decision for me to make because not doing the Arnold is kind of like an opportunity missed," Heath said. "After placing second there two years in a row, that still stings a little bit because I feel like I can win the contest this year. But at what cost would that be? After placing second at the Olympia I feel like I've solidified my position as one of the top two bodybuilders in the world.

"Sitting out gives me the opportunity to make really, really drastic improvements and put myself in a position to bring an even better physique in 2011. And there's no other way to do that except by putting in the time in the gym."

This isn't the first time Heath has decided to bypass a marquee event with an eye on the future. He skipped the Olympia after qualifying in both 2006 and 2007 - to much criticism - in order to make the necessary improvements to be considered a threat at that contest. The decision paid off, as Heath debuted in Vegas in 2008 with a third-place finish.

This year, Heath lost a close decision to defending Mr. Olympia Jay Cutler. In the eyes of many, that decision could have just as easily gone to Heath.
"Every decision I've made in my career, I've had no regrets on," Heath said. "Of course I know I'm gonna have at least a couple days where I'm upset I'm not doing the [Arnold]. But I'm doing this for the reasons of trying to bring my best to the Olympia."

Joe Weider's 2011 Olympia will be held on September 16 and 17 in Las Vegas, Nevada.

Phil's Tweet:

On Monday 13th December 2010, @PHILHEATH said:
Hello all! After long thought and consulting with family and friends, I have decided NOT to compete at the '11 Arnold Classic. This was a very difficult decision to make as I had a great '10 season. I want to thank my beautiful wife Jennie for her on-going support along with my sponsors @TeamMuscleTech and Weider/AMI.

M

mvsf1

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
... as tkD announced one week ago, LOL.

I think he made the wrong choice this time, but all the best, Mr Heath.

tkD

tkD

Administrator
Staff
VIP
... as tkD announced one week ago, LOL.

I think he made the wrong choice this time, but all the best, Mr Heath.

Yeah, and for the bb fans it sucks, especially for those of us (me included) who wanted to see Phil winning the Arnold.

Best of luck for the O!

The King Of Lurkers

The King Of Lurkers

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I think is a wise decision just try not to get sick again at the very end of the prep Phil lololololol

Storm

Storm

Strongripology priest
VIP
It sure is sad for us fans, but I hope it pays off and Phil wins the Olympia next year.

pakiman

pakiman

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Noooooooooooooooooooooo
So its gunna be between Mr Evan Centopani and Ms. Kai Greene eh!

dilatedmuscle

dilatedmuscle

Mecca Super-*****
VIP
IMO this is not a good choice. Phil has shown the incredible ability to improve tons within 6 months time. I dont see the point in skipping the ASC when it has not hindered him in the past, instead he will put all his eggs into one basket for the entire year. It could be good but i dont see the point in it considering his history with improving while doing both shows and peaking well.

M

mvsf1

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ Great post. I agree 100%.

Hypocrisy86

Hypocrisy86

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Good luck Phil hope your training for the 0 pays off!

Natzo

Natzo

Elvira turns me on
VIP
IMO this is not a good choice. Phil has shown the incredible ability to improve tons within 6 months time. I dont see the point in skipping the ASC when it has not hindered him in the past, instead he will put all his eggs into one basket for the entire year. It could be good but i dont see the point in it considering his history with improving while doing both shows and peaking well.

I back my hermano mexicano.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
Shadow

Shadow

I'm in two minds about this - I can see Phil's point but it sure takes some of the excitement out of the season when the top bodybuilders only compete once a year.

oldez

oldez

I see it that he has been able to make great improvements despite competing in the Arnold Classic. Now he can take a full year to make improvements like Jay has done for years and as Ronnie did in h?s heydays. No point in giving him the advantage. Phil has always been in great condition. Only exception being last years Olympia when he was sick. Mr. O is the main event for everybody. Although Arnold Classic is highly valued it is no way comparable to Mr. O. That is why Phil should focus on the Olympia only.

The only negative thing is that we rarely see the top dogs competing outside the Olympia. I wish that Jay and the other guys would compete more often. At least Arnold Classic and the Olympia.

dilatedmuscle

dilatedmuscle

Mecca Super-*****
VIP
I see it that he has been able to make great improvements despite competing in the Arnold Classic. Now he can take a full year to make improvements like Jay has done for years and as Ronnie did in h?s heydays. No point in giving him the advantage. Phil has always been in great condition. Only exception being last years Olympia when he was sick. Mr. O is the main event for everybody. Although Arnold Classic is highly valued it is no way comparable to Mr. O. That is why Phil should focus on the Olympia only.

The only negative thing is that we rarely see the top dogs competing outside the Olympia. I wish that Jay and the other guys would compete more often. At least Arnold Classic and the Olympia.

I see what you mean but he has managed to improve a lot while competing twice a year and making advances in his Mr.Olympia placings. Its not like he isnt winning because he isnt improving enough or because he isnt big enough... he isnt winning because jay cutler has a two door refridgerator as his frame to build on, taking a year off to improve wont make him wider or jay narrower.

oldez

oldez

he isnt winning because jay cutler has a two door refridgerator as his frame to build on, taking a year off to improve wont make him wider or jay narrower.

I don't see it that way. Jay is starting to look like an old man. Loose skin in his lower back and pecs. If Phil can come a little bit bigger next year then I don't think that the judges can overlook the fact he is just the better looking bodybuilder although not as large. For me bodybuilding has never been about the ultimate muscle mass. Symmetry and conditioning should play an equally large part in the judging if not larger. It is true that last years of Dorian and the whole reign of Ronnie were about muscle mass, but people forget that they were also conditioned and symmetrical bodybuilders and no other could match what they had. Otherwise we would have had Ronnie, Jay and Ruhl in the top 3 every year. Jay was the only guy who could match Ronnie's mass, but not the symmetry or the condition and I think that since Ronnie has left the game the judges have forgotten what the sport is/was about. Sure Jay has gotten better, but he does not look like the ultimate bodybuilder and never will. The only thing that hinders Phil's chances is that he has narrower shoulders, but that is the only thing. Where as Jay short comings are many and the only thing going for him is size. But this is really completely another conversation :p

M

mvsf1

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I don't see it that way. Jay is starting to look like an old man. Loose skin in his lower back and pecs.

Jay had had loose skin in his lower back since his late 20s.