• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

rowing machine for cardio?

xtacy

xtacy

is rowing machine good for cardio workout? would it have any negative effect on muscle growth?

C

Chalmers

Hi xtacy,
Some benefits of rowing machine on our health:
It improves our lung function,
It improves your cardiac function and prevent you from heart problems,
It prevents you from high blood pressure by reducing your blood pressure,
It makes your bones stronger.

xtacy

xtacy

thank you for response. is it good for burning fat?

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Rowing machine is one of the few cardio tools I like. It works most muscle groups so it raises the metabolism quite a lot. Directly answering your fat burning question: yes it does, very well.

The only thing is it isn't the same as a weight bearing cardio exercise, so make sure you are still doing real exercises like squats and deadlifts.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
how? It doesn't give HIT to bones so how this is possible?

To some extent it can. Unlike load bearing exercise it doesn't promote bone density to the same extent, but the load through the action can be greater than bodyweight, which is enough to promote bone mass promotion. I forget the exact figure for bone density growth, but maintenance is only around bodyweight.

Cycling isn't enough, ditto swimming, but running, jumping, and resistance training does promote bone density through increased skeletal loading. HIT? That has nothing to do with anything.

cereal

cereal

To some extent it can. Unlike load bearing exercise it doesn't promote bone density to the same extent, but the load through the action can be greater than bodyweight, which is enough to promote bone mass promotion. I forget the exact figure for bone density growth, but maintenance is only around bodyweight.

Cycling isn't enough, ditto swimming, but running, jumping, and resistance training does promote bone density through increased skeletal loading. HIT? That has nothing to do with anything.

erm.... by HIT I meant that continuoysly shock (HIT :p)to bones what you get when running, punching bag etc. Rowing doesn't give that continuosly shock.

Last edited:
tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
erm.... by HIT I meant that continuoysly shock (HIT :p)to bones what you get when running, punching bag etc. Rowing doesn't give that continuosly shock.

Gotcha. What increases bone density is the load that is borne by the skeletal system, not the shock of impact. The shock is a load, but it can be very negative as it is a peak force, hence knee and back injuries from running, wrist and elbow injuries from boxing.

Napol3onator

Napol3onator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Tim has it spot on about the bones. yes there will be some bone mineral density improvement, but not the same as a weight bearing movement, especially for strength or power. The acsm has conclusive research for strength training building bone mineralization, but as for aerobic exercise, not much , if any.

tyciol

tyciol

I am wondering, would the high-rep pulling of rowing cardio help with back development?

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
It's cardio, so what back development!?