Register

Mecca Maniac bodybuilding reputation Cork's Avatar
    Height

Weight

Biceps

Chest

Waist

Postactivation Potentiation

Not a lot of training threads these days so I figured I'd contribute a little.

I've read a couple things lately that you might find interesting. Postactivation potentiation says that if a compound lift follows a power lift, the trainee will be able to commit more power to the compound movement. That is to say, hang cleans done before back squats can be beneficial to your squatting.

However, this study showed that performing the squat exercise after a whole-body workout session may result in greater power output if the squat is preceded by a power exercise (i.e., hang pull).
    http://journals.lww.com/nsca-jscr/Ab...r_in_A.22.aspx

However, when percent potentiation was compared between ATH (Atheletes) and RT(recreational trainees) groups, force and power parameters were significantly greater for ATH (p < 0.05). Postactivation potentiation may be a viable method of acutely enhancing explosive strength performance in athletic but not recreationally trained individuals.
    http://journals.lww.com/nsca-jscr/Ab...thletic.8.aspx

It even works for endurance athletes!
    Conclusion: PAP is enhanced in endurance athletes. Enhanced PAP may counteract fatigue during endurance exercise. The mechanism(s) responsible for the enhanced PAP remain to be determined.
    http://journals.lww.com/acsm-msse/Ab...rained.22.aspx

As for the science right now, this is a physical phenomenon, which means that we don't know the exact reasons that this happens. Research and anecdotal data so far have proven for it to be true.

•   bodybuilding Post Icon
      MuscleMecca Sponsors

MuscleMecca Bodybuilding advertising
      musclemecca.com
      Your Bodybuilding,
      Diet, Nutrition and Fitness,
      Supplements, Testosterone and Bodybuilding Chemical, Competition
      Muscle Building Community

Support MuscleMecca Bodybuilding Forums and Visit Our Muscle Sponsors

Mecca V.I.P. bodybuilding reputation tim290280's Avatar
    Height

Weight

Biceps

Chest

Waist

Re: Postactivation Potentiation

I haven't personally noticed any advantages, but it is a good way of making exercises synergistic. Also helps get you warmed up for the heavier exercises.

Most Helpful Member 2008
    December 2008 MOTM
    My Log - Join the Journey!
    Aussie Lift-Off

Mecca Maniac bodybuilding reputation Cork's Avatar
    Height

Weight

Biceps

Chest

Waist

Re: Postactivation Potentiation

I actually tested it out, but I'm not sure I gave it enough time to kick in. I did some hang cleans before squatting like the one article suggested and I didn't really feel much extra power. I did feel pretty warmed up though, so there is that merit without a doubt.

collapse Posting Permissions