• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

World's Strongest Man 2011 - Official thread

Cork

Cork

I'm starting this thread, and I'll try and update it, but if more news comes out, feel free to post it. Don't think that this is my thread, I won't be offended if someone else takes the reins.

As of right now, day 4 qualifier recap.

DSC_0420513x341-1.jpg

Day 4 Update

Tension was high on the final day of the qualifiers, as WSM returned to Wingate University to determine who the ten finalists would be. With a number of groups being closely fought affairs, it was always going to come down to the Atlas Stones to settle affairs.There were three events in total; Giant Dumbbell Press Medley, the Metal Block Press Medley and the Atlas Stones to close out the day.

First up were groups 1 and 2 who were faced with the four huge dumbbells. The weight of the first was 220lbs, followed by 230, 245 and finally, 255lbs. In group 1, Bjornsson carried on his good run and got three of the four DB?s. For Brian Shaw, it was all too easy though, and he lifted the 255lb implement, the only competitor of the day to manage it. In Group 2, young Romanian debutant Paul Pirjol managed two of the implements, but Laurence Shahlaei outdid him by lifting the third.
DSC_0781513x341-1.jpg

For groups 3,4 and 5, their first event of the day was the Metal Block Press. As with the dumbbells, there were four blocks to be lifted in ascending order. They ranged from 245 to 330lbs, with a 265 and a 290 block in between. Vytautas Lalas, Jason Bergmann and Mateusz Baron each lifted the third block, with Lalas extending his lead in the group overall.
DSC_0031513x341-1.jpg

Group 4 saw strength in depth, with five competitors lifting three blocks, but Zydrunas Savickas came out on top, managing an impressive four out of four.

Derek Poundstone stood out in group 5, lifting every block with relative ease.

Going into the Atlas Stones in late afternoon, the scene was set for qualification battles in each group.

Group 1 ? with Brian Shaw safely through to the final, it came down to a shootout between Mark Felix and Thor Bjornsson. It was the Icelander who came out on top in the head to head between the two men and he progressed to the final.

Group 2 ? Laurence Shahlaei went through in first place, but behind him Ervin Katona and Espen Aune were in a two way struggle for second spot. Katona?s performance in the Stones was enough to see him take coveted spot.

Group 3- Lithuanian Vytautas Lalas qualified in first but behind him Terry Hollands and Martin Wildauer were pushing for the remaining spot. It was Hollands who qualified, making his sixth consecutive WSM final, after putting up all five Stones, to the Austrian?s two.

Group 4 ? Zydrunas Savickas was joined in final by Mike Jenkins, who was having a debut to remember. Jenkins was involved in a thrilling Stone race with LPJ with both putting up five Stones. However, it was not enough for the Canadian to make the final and Jenkins qualified at the first attempt.

Group 5 ? In the tightest of the qualifiers, Derek Poundstone made his fourth final in as many years, and he is joined by Stefan Solvi Petursson. The Icelander?s reputation as a stone lifter proved to well founded as he powered through all five, and made it to his second WSM final.

This leaves our ten finalists as

?Brian Shaw
?Thor Bjornsson
?Ervin Katona
?Laurence Shahlaei
?Terry Hollands
?Vytautas Lalas
?Zydrunas Savickas
?Mike Jenkins
?Derek Poundstone
?Stefan Solvi Petursson
The competitors now have two days to recover before the final begins on September 21, where they will undertake three of the six events. The remaining three disciplines will take place the following day. Wingate University will again be the host for both days of the final.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cork

Cork

I've never seen the metal block pressing. It must be a bitch to try and get under a corner of that and pick it up off the ground. Of course Poundstone nailed all the overhead pressing. That guy could lock out an elephant overhead.

Cork

Cork

And again, a show of the schedule.
WSM22-1.jpg

There is not any easy to find media. I can't even find video from a pocket cam.

Cork

Cork

Here are the blocks, good God...
6mrbr-1.jpg

And you'll see that the squat event is a "squat lift". This is what they were squatting:
k7bhy-1.jpg

Arcane1129

Arcane1129

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Those blocks look intense. I haven't kept up with wsm in a while but it was always entertaining. Thanks for the updates!

Cork

Cork

Sorry guys I suck with the updates. It's almost impossible to find any good media coverage online of the WSM 2011. No wonder it doesn't get more viewers. The publicity on it sucks.

Brian Shaw was tied with Zydrunas Savickas going into the final event (stones) at the 2011 World's Strongest Man. WSM FINAL SCORES: Shaw 50, Savikas 46, Hollands 43, Shalaei 36.5, Poundstone 32, Lalas/Hafthor 29.5, Jenkins 26.5, Petursson 23.5,Katona 6.5
Here is the footage of Brian winning on the title on the final event.

Another video, the tire carry.

Last edited by a moderator:
ironheart

ironheart

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Brian Shaw is simply a freak of nature, a true giant. i think he's going to dominate the sport for years to come!

Cork

Cork

Also, Shaw is the first American to win WSM since 1982 when Bill Kaz won.