• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Fish VS Chicken Breast?

dilatedmuscle

dilatedmuscle

Mecca Super-*****
VIP
I took a little break from the gym and bodybuilding type of diet. This week i started a keto diet again although i may not reach ketosis because im eating a good ammount of broccoli and asparagus. I been eating mostly eggs for breakfast and tilapia throughout the day. I find it easier to make and way easier to eat since chicken breast can be a little dry in the second day if you cook ahead of time.

My question is, what are the pros and cons of choosing tilapia over chicken breast or steak?

BigBen

BigBen

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
If i were you i would look into the fatty acid content of the fish for the pros although i am unsure of the omega 3 FA content in talapia. As far as cons i would look at the amino acid profile of these options. Eggs and steak have the 2 best amino acid profiles of which i am aware. I am unsure of the Amino acid content of talapia. Is it good enough to replace steak and eggs, it may be if you eat enough of it, yes, but i honestly do not know. You should research some of the questions you have, it is pretty cool stuff. And I also am of the evidenced based opinion, which i can defend chemically, that having all of the nutrients in your diet is best for the biochemical symphony that takes place in our body.

Ben

Last edited:
dilatedmuscle

dilatedmuscle

Mecca Super-*****
VIP
Thanks ben much appreciated.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
???

Why does it have to be either or? Why no room for variety?

Flex

Flex

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Pros:
-likely less sodium packed
-omega 3 fatty acids

Cons:
-More expensive
-Fishy smell and aftertaste

I'm with Tim. Eat both.

dilatedmuscle

dilatedmuscle

Mecca Super-*****
VIP
I took a break from all the training and all the eating for a while. For a few days i went vegeterian then i was only eating 3 times a day. I got tired of the constant eating for thick meat every single day and the constant consumption of protein. When i went back to eating meat i wanted to eat something lighter that i figured may digest faster and easier which is why i chose to eat mostly only fish. I did eat steak a few times a week though. Now im getting back into the bodybuilding diet and i want to stick with fish primarily and alternate with steak and chicken.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Vegetarian!? And here I was thinking you were semi-normal.

BigBen

BigBen

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
i do not eat meat, but i do eat eggs. =)

M

mvsf1

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ Really? Why's that? Cholesterol?

BigBen

BigBen

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ Really? Why's that? Cholesterol?

My goal is to eat the best i can and use vitamin supplements to avoid inflammation and keep a high level of antioxidant in my blood/cells. I eat enough protein to live and avoid eating in excess. I maintain a diet that consists of a fatty acid ratio that is 4:1 omega-3(DHA/EPA):Omega-6. It is much easier for me to do this by eating omega 3 eggs and using fish oil supplements. Omega-3 FA do not promote inflammatory reactions in the body and omega-6 FA do. We do need a mixture of both O3 and O6 FA, but the ratio is more O3:O6. The literature usually says a 3:1 or 4:1 ratio. I drink whole leaf green and white teas frequently through out the day. I eat a plant based diet, and i do not lift any more, but the not lifting has more to do with my schedule than it does health. From a biochemical standpoint eating a plant based diet makes sense. By eating a plant based diet you are increasing fiber and decreasing the transit time of your food in the digestive tract, and thus decreasing your exposure to carcinogens in your food. Also, you increase blood levels of antioxidants, phytonutrients, vitamins, and minerals by eating a whole foods plant based diet in comparison to a non plant plant food based diet. Also levels of IGF-1 are decreased and this effects gene expression for the better, against disease turning off genes for cancer and other inflammation related diseases. I also feel have more energy eating whole foods plant based diet than I did when i was lifting and eating a higher protein diet, but this makes sense. I have less inflammation, less energy is going to digest my food, and I put less stress on my body by eating less protein because nitrogen metabolism is less of an issue in a diet that contains less protein. Nitrogen is a very real issue, if you eat to much it is a problem and if you do not eat enough it is a problem. Their is no evidence that eating animal protein in small amounts does any harm. <---- This sentence is for Tim. =)

A little note on vitamin supplements. I do take vitamin supplements, and although they do provide the nutrients necessary to run biochemical rxns they DO NOT provide the protection against disease that plant foods provide, vitamin C being an exception. I think vitamins are a great way to supplement nutrients in an already great diet filled with fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, ect ect.

Last edited:

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
dilatedmuscle

dilatedmuscle

Mecca Super-*****
VIP
Vegetarian!? And here I was thinking you were semi-normal.

hahaha it was somewhat of a fast. I was taking a break from training and eating like a bodybuilder.

M

mvsf1

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Thanks for your post, Ben.

Flex

Flex

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Ben doesn't lift?

Didn't you used to be a 250 pound meathead? lol, who are youuuu?

BigBen

BigBen

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Ben doesn't lift?

Didn't you used to be a 250 pound meathead? lol, who are youuuu?

LOl i use to be 275lbs when i was at my heaviest. Benching 450, squatting 585 deep. Then i started getting dizzy and feeling like **** all of the time. I didnt want to weigh that miuch any more and unfortunately my personality is that if i cannt do something to the extreme, meaning to the potential i know i can do it to, then I am bored. If i kept lifting with lighter weights and less food, which I did do for about 6 months, I trained with the same intensity but felt very indifferent to it bc i knew i wasnt training to my full potential. I knew i could weigh more, have more muscle, and be bigger/ leaner if I trained heavier and ate more.

i decided to go back to school for a 2nd B.S. bc i didnt much care for the work in the dietetics field, we essentially are the lackies of the hospital setting, in a way. I am finiishing up my 2nd B.S., 1st was dietetics, this one is in chemistry and going to grad school for a PhD in organic chem starting summer 2012.

Last edited:
M

mvsf1

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
If you don't mind, could you please share your current stats with us? :)

BigBen

BigBen

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
If you don't mind, could you please share your current stats with us? :)

Ok i have no idea what any of my lifts are. I am 5'10 weigh 220 have not lifted in almost 18 months and I am a skinny guy now. My bf is around 12- im guessing. I can see 4 of my abs. I Probably consume around 1800-2200 calories a day. The majority of my calories are from plant foods. I do eat omega-3 eggs still. I get 25 grams of protein from eggs a day and the rest from black and pinto beans, lintels ect. I doo food combining and I am sure to get the full spectrum of amino acids in adequate amounts. I think i have reached the point where what ever muscle I am going to lose is gone, and what I have now is here to stay until my hormones start to decline and I lose it like everyone else who ages and does not work out.

Last edited:
M

mvsf1

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Ok i have no idea what any of my lifts are. I am 5'10 weigh 220 have not lifted in almost 18 months and I am a skinny guy now. My bf is around 12- im guessing. I can see 4 of my abs. I Probably consume around 1800-2200 calories a day. The majority of my calories are from plant foods. I do eat omega-3 eggs still. I get 25 grams of protein from eggs a day and the rest from black and pinto beans, lintels ect. I doo food combining and I am sure to get the full spectrum of amino acids in adequate amounts. I think i have reached the point where what ever muscle I am going to lose is gone, and what I have now is here to stay until my hormones start to decline and I lose it like everyone else who ages and does not work out.

5'10 @ 220lbs and 12%bf is not skinny in my book. Ok, you were a monster in the past :p

Why do you think you are holding a good amount of muscle without working out, using drugs or eating 150+ grams of protein everyday? BCAA's from food?

BigBen

BigBen

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
5'10 @ 220lbs and 12%bf is not skinny in my book. Ok, you were a monster in the past :p

Why do you think you are holding a good amount of muscle without working out, using drugs or eating 150+ grams of protein everyday? BCAA's from food?

I do not know honestly. I do not think that is a lot of weight for my frame. Honestly, I held 275 well besides not being able to breathe, lol. I am guessing it has to do with the number of muscle fibers I have opposed to their relative size, which can not be very large.

D

Daniael

Hi Dilatedmuscle,
Tilapia fish is great for health and we must add tilapia fish in our meal plans. Tilapia is low in calories and low in fat protein thus makes heart healthy and reduce the risk of depression and cardiovascular disease. Tilapia is rich source of omega 3 fatty acids. Tilapia is great fat burner and improve HDL cholesterol and prevent from weight related illness.