• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

How the fuck did Wilmore win the best comeback award?

Natzo

Natzo

Elvira turns me on
VIP
I can't understand ( as elaborated in detail in this singerman article) why a guy that took 3rd last year at the Europa dallas wins the $20000 best comeback award!!
when there has been ages since Roland Cziurlock for example compete and he brought a decent package with awesome conditioning to the stage!!!

------------------- singerman article

On December 10th, Jarka Lorie put on the IFBB Pro World Master?s Championship in Miami, Florida. For the men?s bodybuilding portion of the event, an unprecedented $220,000 in prize money was given away, with $100,000 of that money going to first place winner, Dexter Jackson. Everyone who had viewed Jarka?s contest website saw the prize pool was large, but almost no one realized that there would also be a $5,000 Best Poser Award and a $20,000 Biggest Comeback Award. As far as I know, the $5,000 for the best poser was the most money given out for such an award in many years, and I have never even heard of a Biggest Comeback Award. Tricky Jackson beat out Darrem Charles for the Best Poser, and Bill Wilmore won the Biggest Comeback. This column will explore the circumstances that surrounded the decision to award Bill Wilmore with the $20,000 prize.

The first thing I did was head straight to the top. I called Head Judge and Senior IFBB official, Steve Weinberger. Steve informed me that the IFBB had nothing to do with judging, deciding, or presenting the Biggest Comeback Award. The IFBB?s responsibility started and ended with the actual prize money that was handed out to the top 12 men, and top placing bikini girls.

During this investigation, I received an email from Rx Muscle photographer, Pierre Lamely, telling me how upset Roland Cziurlok was that he didn?t win the Best Comeback Award. Normally, a bodybuilder complaining about not placing as well as he thought he should is nothing to write home about. The thing that caught my interest was what Pierre?s email revealed: A very interesting email conversation between Cziurlok, Shawn Ray, and Vince Taylor.

shawnandrolandThe serial email began with Cziurlok complaining to Shawn that he believed he should have won the Best Comeback award.

rolandabRay responded, ?I thought you were a freak bro. Wow was I amazed at your conditioning! That said, it was a vote from ALL the legends that decided that Bill Wilmore should win the award. There was nothing that ONE person could do or say to change that outcome from: Coleman, Taylor, Haney, Ferrigno, Levrone, Yates, Zane, Robinson. The vote was final once everyone said who they thought should win the award. Sorry Bro.?

Cziurlok then forwarded what Shawn Ray wrote to his longtime friend, Vince Taylor. It?s my guess, at that point, Roland was hoping for some clarification on what Vince and the rest of the legends were looking for.

Vince wrote the following reply to Cziurlok:

?Roland.... Please understand... I had NOTHING to do with any voting! I had nothing to do with the show! Please write or call Shawn Ray and tell him you and I are personal friends, and that I, Vince Taylor, said he is a LIAR! To say to you I voted for anyone... My wife and I came to the night show for 20 minutes, then went home. We never saw the show! Not during the morning pre-judging, and NOT AT ALL AT THE NIGHT SHOW!?

After talking to Weinberger and reading these email exchanges, I was hooked. You can probably see why, but this is just the beginning of this story. Let?s first discuss discuss what exactly a ?Best Comeback Award? is anyway.

Webster?s Dictionary defines a comeback as a return to a former position, status, etc. Bill Wilmore competed LAST YEAR, and took a controversial 3rd place at the Dallas Europa. It wasn?t controversial in the sense that people thought Bill should have done worse, but just the opposite. I was sitting next to Shawn Ray in the press pit, and both he and I had him in 2nd place, ahead of Mark Alvisi. Here is a picture of Bill from the 2010 Europa Super Show and a picture from The 2011 IFBB Pro World:

billeuropabillmasters

As you can see, Bill looked great last year, and he looks great this year as well. He looks considerably bigger now, and I would have no problem with him winning a Most Improved Award, but he certainly doesn?t qualify as a Best Comeback candidate seeing he didn?t ?come back? from anything.

In college football, the Heisman Trophy (the highest accolade at that level) is decided by the sports journalists. Heisman.com states that sports journalists are to be the determinants of the award since they are "informed, competent, and impartial." They don?t ask Jim Brown or some other legend because there is no guarantee that they have been following the game closely, and it?s unlikely they are as up-to-date as the people who actually report on the sport. I decided to poll some of the people that are experts in our sport and industry:

Peter McGough (former Editor and Chief of FLEX Magazine): Roland Czurlok- ?With all due respect to Bill it?s tough to consider a guy who competed in 2010 as meriting "Comeback" status. "Most improved" would have been more appropriate for Bill. If we take a strict interpretation of "Best Comeback" it would have to be Roland -- most conditioned in show after a 10 year lay-off.?

Lonnie Teper (writer for Ironman and World Famous MC): Roland- ?Wilmore did look good, but it?s been years since Roland has competed.?

Isaac Hinds (founder of Hardbody.com and photographer): Roland- ?Easily, Roland.?

Dan Solomon (host and creator of Pro Bodybuilding Weekly Radio): Roland- ?If you?re going to have a Comeback Award at a Legends Show, you should acknowledge one of the Legends... Someone like Roland would have been the logical choice.?

Lee Thompson (IFBB Judge and NPC Texas Chairman): Roland- ?Bill looked great in Dallas. He?s always looked good. Impressive showing, but not a comeback.?

Ron Avidan (Creator and Owner of Getbig.com): Roland- ?He placed the highest of all the guys who were making a comeback.?

Dave Palumbo (Owner of RxMuscle and Species Nutrition): Roland- ?He was easily the most impressive guy to be making a comeback. Wilmore, while impressive, competed last year.?

Seven of our industries most notable experts all would have voted for Roland. But, according to Shawn Ray, it was up to the Legends that attended the show... Or was it? I decided to call the ?legends? in attendance. When I asked Ronnie Coleman about how he decided to vote for Bill Wilmore, he told me, ?I didn?t vote for anyone; didn?t know anything about a Comeback Award.?

Obviously, neither did Vince Taylor. Samir Bannout told me that Frank Zane wasn?t even at the pre-judging and was only at the night show for limited time. I know both Lee Haney and Lou Ferrigno were in the lobby at their booths for a majority of the night show, and were also not at the pre-judging.

Shawn Ray not only MC?d the show, but he also played a big role in organizing the event with Jarka Lorie. When Roland had questions about the show and, more specifically, the award, he went to Shawn for clarification. I decided to do the same. It was Saturday night and I was on the way to a Christmas party, so I sent Shawn a text message instead of calling. This is what I received:

?The award was presented on MY behalf. ?The Shawn Ray Comeback Award?. End of story. When the media creates their own award then they can finance it and present it. It?s not open for debate. Sorry. I chose Bill Wilmore...?

I was shocked when I received this text, as it contradicted everything I had been told up until this point. I actually got the impression that Shawn wasn?t involved with the voting at all. I did speak to Shawn later that evening and he insisted that he?s standing by HIS decision.

As happy as I am to see Bill Wilmore win the $20,000, I can?t figure out the logic that would make Bill?s impressive showing a better comeback than Roland?s... Or even a comeback at all! The fact that Shawn Ray would explain to Roland that the ?legends? decided the outcome of the Best Comeback Award and then go on to contradict that sentiment days later in a text message to me lead me to the conclusion that ?something?s rotten in state of Denmark?.

Last edited by a moderator:
pakiman

pakiman

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Re: How the **** did Wilmore win the best comeback award ???

Its sad how even the ones who in their heydays accused others of bad judgments and malpractices end up doing the same when they are given the same power/position!!!

Flex

Flex

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP

I do feel that Roland deserved it.

This entire show was retarded. Some changes need to be made in the future.

pakiman

pakiman

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP

I guess by that rationale (if there was one) next year they'll be giving the Winner & "Best Comeback" award/cheque to Dexter Jackson!!!!

Natzo

Natzo

Elvira turns me on
VIP

Its sad how even the ones who in their heydays accused others of bad judgments and malpractices end up doing the same when they are given the same power/position!!!

word.

Shauwn just decided by himself... who know if Wilmore only agreed to do it with some kind of guarantee....?

its a shame, this show has to do some serious changes, starting by devising the competitors by age. I also think that the prize money is incorportable for this kind of show.

Flex

Flex

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP

The fact that Roland did all that work to make it back on stage, and not place well at all. This is going to prevent the show from attracting other bodybuilding "legends." If someone like Roland won this show, guys like Ron Coleman would be like "hey, maybe I could win this show and make myself a hundred thousand grand!"

I'm willing to bet Ronnie Coleman would have competed at this show if it weren't for active pros like Dexter, Toney, and Willmore showing up.

Cork

Cork

That's bull****. I lost respect for Shawn Ray. Very bad decision on his part.

umberto

umberto

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP

word.

Shauwn just decided by himself... who know if Wilmore only agreed to do it with some kind of guarantee....?

its a shame, this show has to do some serious changes, starting by devising the competitors by age. I also think that the prize money is incorportable for this kind of show.

so true...

umberto

umberto

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP

The fact that Roland did all that work to make it back on stage, and not place well at all. This is going to prevent the show from attracting other bodybuilding "legends." If someone like Roland won this show, guys like Ron Coleman would be like "hey, maybe I could win this show and make myself a hundred thousand grand!"

I'm willing to bet Ronnie Coleman would have competed at this show if it weren't for active pros like Dexter, Toney, and Willmore showing up.

totally agree with you...If you are a former bodybuilder stopped for many years, but you still have the desire to prove yourself, sacrifice yourself, train hard and diet hard it is disheartening to go on stage with pro still active, even with guys who have just participated in the Olympia and were placed in the top 10 ...