• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Arnold's Disappointing Steroid Comments in His Autobiography "Total Recall"

COACH

COACH

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP

http://thinksteroids.com/articles/a...hy&utm_medium=email&utm_source=eNewsletterPro

totalrecall-1.jpg

Arnold Schwarzenegger: Steroids Give
Same Advantage as a Suntan in Bodybuilding

October 10, 2012 By Millard Baker 0 Comments and 0 Reactions

Arnold's Disappointing Steroid Comments in His Autobiography "Total Recall"

Arnold Schwarzenegger has released a new autobiography this month entitled
Total Recall: My Unbelievably True Life Story.”
Most people want to know the gossipy details about Arnold’s extramarital affairs.
But most bodybuilders want to know if Arnold reveals any new details about his history
of anabolic steroid use during his time as a competitive bodybuilder.

Bodybuilders seeking steroid information from the book will be highly disappointed.
Schwarzenegger only spends a couple of pages in his 656-page book discussing the performance-enhancing drugs (PEDs).
No discussion of specific steroid dosages. No discussion of specific steroids e.g. Dianabol, Primobolan, Deca Durabolin, etc.

And unfortunately, Arnold’s commentary and the evolution of his perspective on steroids is likely to disappoint many.

To Arnold’s credit, he never felt compelled to apologize for his steroid use.
He recognized that steroid use was pervasive in bodybuilding.
Steroids were essential to success in the sport of competitive bodybuilding. Steroids were required.
Arnold accepted this fact without complaint. He just did it.

“All I needed to know was that the top international champions were taking steroids, something
I confirmed by asking the guys in London. I would not go into a competition with a disadvantage.
“Leave no stone unturned” was my rule. And while there wasn’t any evidence of danger— research
into steroids’ side effects was only getting under way— even if there had been, I’m not sure I would
have cared. Downhill ski champions and Formula One race drivers know they can get killed, but they compete anyway.
Because if you don’t get killed, you win. Besides, I was twenty years old, and I thought I would never die.”

But then Schwarzenegger attempts to minimize the significance of his use of steroids.
He distinguishes his steroid use during the 1970s and 1980s from that of subsequent generations of bodybuilders.

When Arnold used steroids, he could legally obtain them for bodybuilding purposes with a prescription from a doctor.

When Arnold used steroids, he only used them for six to eight weeks as part of a pre-contest steroid cycle leading up to the competition.

When Arnold used steroids, he only used relatively small dosages of the drugs compared to later bodybuilders.

When Arnold used steroids, the side effects of steroids were allegedly unknown.

When Arnold used steroids, they only made a trivial difference in one’s physique. The difference was comparable to having a suntan!

I learned to use the drugs in the final six or eight weeks leading up to a major competition,
” wrote Schwarzenegger. “They could help you win, but the advantage they gave was about the same as having a good suntan.”

When Arnold used steroids, they weren’t a problem in the sport of bodybuilding.

Steroids only became a problem after Arnold retired from bodybuilding.
That is why Schwarzenegger has been working hard with the International Federation of Bodybuilders (IFBB)
to eliminate steroids from the sport.

“Later on, after I retired from bodybuilding, drug use became a major problem in the sport.
Guys were taking doses of steroids twenty times the amount of anything we took, and
when human growth hormone came on the scene, things really got out of hand.
There were instances where bodybuilders died. I’ve worked hard since then with the
International Federation of Bodybuilding and other organizations to get drugs banned from the sport.”

Schwarzenegger didn’t discuss the progress he’s made towards this goal.

Last edited:
dilatedmuscle

dilatedmuscle

Mecca Super-*****
VIP
How is it disappointing? Its pretty straight forward...

Natzo

Natzo

Elvira turns me on
VIP
Yeah he spoke more than I thought he would! well done.

were people expecting dosage and a cycle?? LOLOOOLOL

pakiman

pakiman

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Accept for comparison with tan and mentioning HGH as if they caused death in the sport was quite bad especially considering his status in the sport... accept for those two comments I thought the rest was OK.

F

Freak

HGH did cause death in the sport before it was synthesized. Prior to that it was extracted from pituitary of a cadaver. Many people got Jacob disease...

pakiman

pakiman

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I think it was more of a bad word of mouth than concrete evidence. Dennis Newman blamed his cancer on HGH... but you are right in that context I suppose Arnold's comments are not that far fetched

dilatedmuscle

dilatedmuscle

Mecca Super-*****
VIP
So in what context was it supposed to be "disappointing"?

blergs

blergs

How is it disappointing? Its pretty straight forward...

I agree with you.
only disappointing to some one thinking there is some sort of secret to success he has form drugs, which is not the case in my op. (regardless if he made a book just about steroids and what he took)

I think he went about it well then. and "only used when legal" I cant blame him.

Natzo

Natzo

Elvira turns me on
VIP
I agree with you.
only disappointing to some one thinking there is some sort of secret to success he has form drugs, which is not the case in my op. (regardless if he made a book just about steroids and what he took)

I think he went about it well then. and "only used when legal" I cant blame him.

exactly. agree 100%

:):::::::::)

S

StanG

I think he's a bit hypocritical , but overall pretty much what people already knew anyway.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
S

StanG

Well he said himself when he was younger it wouldnt have mattered to him if they were safe or legal etc. Yet now it should to the new wave of BB'ers ? Thats all .