• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Five of the best muscle building foods possible

TalkAdmin

TalkAdmin

Administrator
Staff member
Staff
Five of the best muscle building foods possible

Ever since Arnold Schwarzenegger burst his way onto TV and movie screens in the late 70’s, it’s probably safe to say that bodybuilding and weight training has been steadily becoming more and more popular with each passing day. Bodybuilding and weight training has been practiced for centuries upon centuries, but until not too long ago, bodybuilders were considered freaks of nature, almost non-human by some people. As time went by and the world began seeing larger than life characters, including Arnold, they began to not only accept bodybuilding, they actually began embracing it and began striving to attain physical perfection when it came to their own bodies. Fast forward to the present day, and there are currently more people following bodybuilding type workout routines than ever before. Building muscle is about much more than just lifting weights, it’s actually a combination of around 30% training, and 70% nutrition. In basic terms, if your diet and nutrition isn’t on point, you won’t make the progress you should be. Here’s a look at five of the best muscle building foods possible.

Lean beef – Some people say that red meat is unhealthy and that it’s bad for you, when in actual fact it’s quite the opposite. Red meat is packed full of vitamins, proteins, and minerals that the body absolutely thrives upon. A few of the minerals most beneficial that are found in red meat include zinc, calcium, and iron. It is also a fantastic source of protein, and if you choose lean cuts, the calorie content will also be low as well.

Oatmeal – Oatmeal is a bodybuilder’s best friend, and for good reason too. Although it contains little carbohydrates, the reason why oatmeal is so beneficial is because it too contains b vitamins and minerals, and it’s a great source of slow releasing carbohydrates. This means that for the next few hours, you get a steady release of nutrients and energy into your body, which in turn will keep the metabolism running effectively, and will fuel your workouts too.

Skinless chicken breasts – Although many bodybuilders are probably sick of the sight of chicken breasts, they still consume it because it is so hugely beneficial for them. It is a great source of protein, and is incredibly lean and low in fat and calories. It’s also versatile and easy to prepare.

Cottage cheese – Cottage cheese is actually a form of casein protein, which is slow digesting and is hugely beneficial from a health and bodybuilding standpoint. If you have to go long periods without eating, when you go to bed, long trips, long days at work etc, casein protein is ideal as you get a steady release of proteins into the body for a number of hours. For the ultimate late night snack to cure your sweet cravings, combine a scoop of whey protein powder with a bowl of cottage cheese, blend well, and enjoy.

Eggs – Eggs are a staple part of many bodybuilders’ breakfasts, and for good reason too. Forget about all of that nonsense about eggs being high in cholesterol because it’s simply not true. In order for eggs to pose any risk of increasing a person’s “bad” cholesterol levels, they would need to be consuming over 30 whole eggs, yolks included, per day. Eggs are a great source of protein, they’re naturally low in calories, and they’re also packed full of vitamins and minerals, including B vitamins and vitamin D.

Copyright © 2014 MuscleMecca.com

W

wulfman

For bodybuilding food I eat 5 eggs everyday with the yolks. Scrambled with bacon. And toast . I really don't like cottage cheese or oatmeal although both of these help in a huge way to gain muscle fast and help your muscles recover after a workout. Also flax seed oil is also a good bodybuilding food and supplement. It has a lot of calories and is a good supplement to your diet if you want to pack on pounds.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

cwright55

Potentially stupid question - are these foods meant to help increase muscle built while working out, or help lower body fat percentage so that muscles appear more defined?

Fitspired

Fitspired

As far as I know, oatmeal has iron and niacin which are important nutrients for building muscle. So in this case, oatmeal helps increase muscle built while working out.

With eggs, they're very high in protein which is again, very important in muscle building. It also has amino acids that aid in muscle repair and recovery. The same goes for chicken breast, they're high in protein as well. Aside from that, they contain little fat so they can also help in limiting your fat intake.

Now cottage cheese has casein, which is a protein. So it can help in muscle building as well. Lastly, lean beef have lots of protein but it also has creatine which gives you energy for workouts.

Eating all these can certainly help in muscle building. They're nutrient dense and very healthy for a bodybuilder.

R

rz3300

Banned
Well I knew about the casein proteins and the benefits that come from that, but I did not know how good of a source of them cottage cheese was. This is certainly good news for me, too, because I do happen to love cottage cheese. I cannot eat too much of it, but it is nice knowing that it lasts a long time and that the release of proteins is slow. I will certainly keep this in mind, and now I can really perfect the way that I work it into my routine and my diet. Thanks for sharing.

T

tpicks

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I have actually gathered information on how Eggs and Chicken breast are very good food sources for muscle building. I often times consume these food as I am interested in muscle building. Now I have learned about two more Lean beef and Oatmeal. I am going to add these two my diet. Thanks for sharing.

D

Decentlady

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Cottage cheese contains a lot of fats too. You tend to put on weight: fat. Unless ofcourse you buy the fat free variety which is quite expensive.

- - - Updated - - -

Cottage cheese contains a lot of fats too. You tend to put on weight: fat. Unless ofcourse you buy the fat free variety which is quite expensive.

Alexandoy

Alexandoy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I go for red meat and eggs. I have heard from the trainer of Manny Pacquiao that boiled beef is the staple of Pacquiao during the training period. Beef is one food that is great for building muscles which is very important for a boxer. Not only for the muscles but also for the strength that beef provides. For the eggs, it is the breakfast of athletes under the government's training program particularly for the weightlifters. By the way, Hidilyn Diaz of the Philippines won a silver medal in the Olympics. Part of her diet is eggs.

R

rz3300

Banned
Whatever the news seems to be around eggs, I would like to think that they are still always one of the best ways to go and the best things to eat. Plus, they are just so delicious that I could never go the other way. Red meat, though, I am trying to stay away from.

Kakashi2020

Kakashi2020

Thanks for clearing up the egg thing, when it was accepted that eating whites is the right thing to do well, I didn't believe it so I kept on eating the whole eggs and a year ago some new research came out saying that it's healthier to eat the whole egg so I'm vindicated haha.

All of your points are true and correct specially the cottage cheese and lean beef, which I'm already a fan of for decades now.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
Folk Artist

Folk Artist

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Some other good foods for building muscle include oysters and almonds- I would say chocolate milk would be good to drink after your workout and has 14 additional grams of carbs, compared to white milk- mostly from the additional sugar from the chocolate. These extra carbs are vital in restoring glycogen stores that were depleted during exercise.

NoviceNinja

NoviceNinja

The only thing that I regularly consume from the list is eggs. I guess I have to consider more having lean beef and skinless chicken breasts more often as to increase my protein consumption to gain more mass. Thanks for sharing!

J

jpk0007

This is a great article mentioning some of the best foods that can help in building up the muscles in our body. I don't eat Beef but I try to include all the other foods in my diet. In place of the entire egg, I prefer to eat the egg whites and do exclude the egg yellows. Although I don't like Oatmeal, I still try to include it in my diet. However, cottage cheese and chicken are my favorite and I have it more than any of the other things