• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

3 tips for preventing injuries when training

A

ASimpson86

Author
3 tips for preventing injuries when training

Build muscle

Let’s face it, being out of the gym sucks, there’s no getting around that, especially when you’re used to a training regime which requires you to spend several days per week training. We get into routines so that working out becomes almost a second nature to us, and becomes just as regular as brushing our teeth in the morning. If something happens that means we can’t get to the gym however, the real damage caused isn’t to our physiques at all, but much rather to our minds instead. We feel lost when we can’t train, as if we’ve lost a part of us, and it is easy for us to feel as if we’re stuck in a rut, counting down the days until we’re able to pick up the iron and resume our training. I should know, for the last three weeks I’ve been out of commission with a flu virus that just will not go away, and it is still making life uncomfortable for me now. Combine this timing with the excesses and indulgences of the festive season, and when I am able to train again in a few days (all being well) I’ll have to knuckle down and get some real work done. Thankfully with a virus, the recovery time is days, or in my case weeks, rather than months, as is the case with many gym-related injuries. Picking up an injury in the gym can be extremely debilitating indeed, which is why I’ve compiled this list, highlighting 3 simple tips to help you prevent injuries when training.

Always warm up! – Ok, be honest now, how many of you are guilty of strolling into the gym after work or school, setting down your bags etc, and jumping right into your workouts pretty much the second you step foot into the gym? I know I am, or at least I used to be, and I paid the price big time whilst dead lifting, picking up one of the most painful back injuries I’ve ever experienced, which kept me bedridden for several days, and out of the gym for nearly 4 weeks. Stretching and warming up before exercising is absolutely vital, no matter how big or tough you may think you are. Set 5 – 10 minutes aside before your workout, and stretch your muscles and warm your body up before you begin your workout. Not only will this help to prevent injuries, it will also make your muscles more efficient.

Make sure you get your rest – Yes, you’ve probably seen those internet memes commonly used on fitness sites and social media pages: “Rest day? Where is my rest muscle and how do I train it?” or “I rest when I sleep” etc. In reality however, rest days are extremely important because they help our bodies to recover following the strenuous activity we put them through during our workouts. Not only does this mean you’ll be far less likely to pick up an injury, but it will also help improve your physique because as you know, we grow when we rest.

Know when to stop – Knowing when to stop and cut your losses so to speak, is another key element for staying injury free, or at least minimizing the damage caused due to injury. If you’re in the gym, performing bent over barbell rows for example, and you feel something “go” in your back, you must stop immediately. When we pick up injuries whilst training, unless they’re extremely severe, they aren’t actually all that painful at the time, it’s when we wake up the next day that we realize just how severe they really are. When we’re training, endorphins and adrenalin are flowing through our bodies, which can mask the pain so that the injury we pick up simply feels uncomfortable rather than painful. If you continue to work through that injury however, you will only cause more damage, make the injury worse, and leave yourself even longer on the shelf to recover. If you feel anything unusual when training, even if it hardly hurts at all; stop immediately, go home, and relax as that is the best thing you can do to minimize damage to your body, meaning that you will only need a few days, possibly a week or two on the sidelines, rather than months upon months in the case of more severe injuries.

Copyright © 2014
MuscleMecca.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Morepower
BigHulk

BigHulk

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
For advice. I've been through injury before and it is good advice to not risk it. Better to skip a few sessions it is to be out of the game for months.

T

teamuscle

Yeah this is some good advice especially for someone like me. I have been injured in the past and I know how hard it could be to go through the rehabilitation process and get yourself to full strength again. Take the advice in this article seriously it would save you the pain that you would have to go through.

L

lmilic

I had one problem, I had a surgery on my knee. And now every once in a while when I run I feel pain in my knee, what to do? Should I be worried or just to give more stretching? I also had a problem with my hand, when I started working out I was so angry that I could get my weight on so I started kicking in the box bag, now, every once in a while I feel pain in my fist

T

tpicks

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Knowing when to rest is very vital, if one continue to try when you are already exhausted chances are there could be a mistake that can lead to an injury. This is more common with weight lifting when you need take rest but instead you keep trying the load could over power you or may lose control at a point.

P

pwarbi

To be honest i think that every one of us is going to be guilty of doing to much every no and again. When e're training then we all like to push ourselves to the limit and sometimes beyond and if our body isn't up to it that day for whatever reason it's hard to know when to stop. Personally if I don't do my full routine then I feel like I have let myself down almost, so if you are recovering from an injury or one day can't manage what you normally do it can be frustrating.

Knowing your limits is vital though and at the end of the day we are working out and training to help our bodies, so really that should be first and foremost in our minds above anything else. Sometimes it's alright to just do the bare minimum as it can then give our body a chance to recover. You just have to try and get your head around that fact, and it's that what isn't as easy as it sounds.

A

Ardere

Thanks bro for this very useful tips to keep us safe.

NoviceNinja

NoviceNinja

This article is a must-read for anyone who wishes to work-out or only is starting to work-out and is not that much of an expert in it like me. I'll have this thread bookmarked for future reference. Thank you to the uploader, great job!

G

GuestHu

Banned
Stretching is one of the underrated exercises because it is boring. However, stretching helps increase flexibility. Having a flexible body decreases the chance of acquiring injuries. It allows our body to exceed its physical limitations without any pain felt or damage. It trains the nervous system to tolerate a greater degree of muscle extension without sending pain signals to the brain.

jeffreyjose48

jeffreyjose48

Banned
I think these 3 steps can be combined in just one word, balance. There must be a balance in everything. I believe that injuries can be easily avoided if we know how to balance things out in training.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
C

Concentrix

Sometimes, we acquire injuries if we execute it improperly. So have a guide or someone expert on body-building to teach us the proper execution which can lead to a better result. Plus, we must not underestimate warm-up exercises because warm muscles both contract more forcefully and relaxes more quickly, reducing the risk of getting an injury.

L

lokielovesbunny

I think little warm-up before work out can prevent your from injuries, stretching is also as important as exercise, rest go slow with weight, dumbles, and machines, intense work out may lead to injury so always go slow, last but not least , always give preference to balance your, legs, arms should be well positioned so you could make a healthy balance during exercise

sweerie_banana

sweerie_banana

I think working out with someone really helps. Especially if the person is a trainer or your workout partner not only would this help to generate more motivation but they would know what to do in case of any injuries caused during the workout. Also, it is advisable to have a first aid box in case of any fatal injuries.

- - - Updated - - -

Sometimes we overwork ourselves during a workout that we forget to get enough rest. If you are in any pain you should get ample rest to rest your muscles. Remember to also keep yourself hydrated by taking enough water.

Z

Zeus20

Never forget to get your mind and body before lifting, and never ever forget to do a stretching. And also take your tablets or some proteins for more energy and power. And my tip is don't drink too much water before lifting, because on my experience it gives pain on the side of my tummy.

M

Morepower

Would like to add a Warm-down along with these tips. Because many after their workouts would just stop and do something else. If we properly warm down or cool our body with static stretches our muscles would become relaxed and their flexibility would increase. Doing static stretches after a workout would break the lactic acid build-up in the muscle and would facilitate muscle recovery.