• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Pushing Through Pain

T

teamuscle

Sometimes when I work a body part to hard sometimes I get serious pain in that muscle. I know that sometimes this could be growth happening in the muscle or an injury. I am wondering is it good to keep going even when you are feeling serious pain or should you just rest?

What do you guys normally do?

T

Tarrian Bjerregaard

There's a difference between muscle gain pains and injury pains. Sometimes that can be a fine line between the two and you have to be careful. If it hurts that bad perhaps you should rest it for a few days. If it continues to bother you or if you are worried it is an injury then have a physician check it out for you.

Escoda

Escoda

How long are you waiting between exercising muscle groups? There should be at least 48 hours between them if you are a natural athlete, get adequate rest and be sure that you're eating enough. If you are bulking the last part should be easy, if you are cutting definitely keep track of how much protein you are getting!

Sometimes if I do a muscle group 3 times in one week the last time will be quite a pain, which might indicate going near overtraining. I usually take a step back and go for a little lighter weights just to get some blood flowing to the muscle but nothing too crazy.

T

teamuscle

I try not to push my muscles to hard to the point that I injure myself. I know that when you injure yourself that you will actually do a lot more harm to your body then you would do good. So I think like some of you said in this thread I think that it is best that you take some time to rest if you really feel a pain in that muscle group that you do not normally feel.

Vickeree

Vickeree

Well there's the pain of soreness after a day or two after a workout which feels awesome but other than that, I think you should be careful when pushing through the pain as this is your body's way of telling you that you are doing something wrong especially acute pain on a certain area or chronic pain that would not go away weeks after your training.

Heatman

Heatman

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
If the pain is serious and sharply felt when you are trying to workout, it's very important to stop and take a time off because it's only going to result to you having an injury.

H

Henrywrites

Banned
One thing that goes well with training is eating fine. You need the right food to keep up with the training that you are doing and this is one of the reasons you should try to eat fine. If you are eating okay and still feel the pains when you train, then there's need to adjust the reps or consult your doctor if it is okay to continue.

Alexandoy

Alexandoy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Experiencing mild pain after a workout is just fine because it is the indication that the muscle is growing. But when you feel serious pain then I guess that is not good or maybe something is wrong with your workout. Exercise varies from each individual and the gauge you can use are the body signals like pain. When there is serious pain you have to stop and think.

G

GuestHu

Banned
Pain after a workout is normal. It makes the muscle grow and stronger. As the saying goes, "Pain is Gain" but pain can be another way of telling the body to stop what it's doing. So if you think the pain you are experiencing is oddly unbearable better visit the doctor. Do not be afraid to know the result. It is better to know what really causes the pain than knowing lately that is one of the symptoms of certain illness.

jeffreyjose48

jeffreyjose48

Banned
I believe when its only light pains that you are feeling it means you are growing some muscles. Yet when it is serious bad pains, I think you have to give rest also to your muscles. Don't over do it. Give your body muscles time to adjust. It will also be for your good. I advice you to get some rest from your work outs from time to time.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff