• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

protein calculations?

preacherbob50

preacherbob50

About a year ago, my nutritionist told me I could not consume over 30g of protein a day due to an extreme illness I had, but have since beat. The reason for the limitations had to do with ammonia build-ups in the brain. Now I have gotten much more active and am starting some serious workouts with weights trying to build muscle on top of the re-toned up muscles it took me a year to build back up. I already use much more protein than what I was told was safe for me, but with the added work-outs I am also using more protein rather than my usage when I was static.

Now the question: Are there any calculation tables I can study to use my protein inake to the max? For instance, if I do 15 reps and 10 sets of curls using 15 lb dumb-bells, how much protein before and after that part of the work-out would be appropriate? If I can calculate even part of my work-out then I can expand and extend the figures to the entire workout.

Notably, I imagine it depends on a lot of other variables such as muscle size, time, ect. But, that being said, there should be some kind of rule of thumb that the more scientific muscle builders use to determine maximum usage. Thanks in advance for any thoughts here.

M

MeganSilva

If you want to calculate protein in your body that is very simple. There are varieties of online tools are available which will help you to calculate protein and calorie.

preacherbob50

preacherbob50

Okay @MeganSilva, I have already looked at other sites and am not particularly happy with the results because they are pretty much debating the point themselves. Merely saying that the average person who works out needs 1 gram of protein for each pound of body mass (some say Lean body mass) is a roundhouse and does little to satisfy my somewhat "perfectionist" tastes.

Here's an example of what my needs are: If I take a 400 mile trip in my RV, I have to know how many gallons of gas I am going to need in order to get there. Do I need to fill up both tanks or just one? Gas weighs about 7.8 lbs per gallon, so if I fill up both tanks I will be pulling more weight thereby having to use more gas per mile? How much resistance will I face in weather conditions? If I want to maintain 60 mph on the freeway but have a 15 knot wind blowing against me for most of my trip I will need more gas.
I know, most people do not figure things in this manner, by I do.

So, here's where the figurative rubber meets the road. If I have a base (primer) to go by I can do my own calculations without the "free" calculator I saw on one site. How many carbs and proteins do I do before my workout based on my weight, height, type of workout ect ? How many proteins will I have to take after my workout in order to satisfy my muscles without doing a bunch of overage that will not be used except to create a bunch of ammonia in my head.

Now, maybe with all of this in mind, ya'll can see that I really want to use all of the tools that might be available to build muscle and health (beyond the norm) to the absolute max. In my way of thinking, roundhouse and average figures are not the most efficient way to maximize my workouts and the effects I am looking for.........or I could be totally wrong.

Z

zonemik

Yes, you should have the general knowledge about the protein contents in the various foods. You can find the required information about the breakdown on various diet charts or on the Internet. Personally, I have bought a diet chart which I use to calculate the protein intake.