• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Got milk? What are the pros and cons?

Vickeree

Vickeree

Got milk? What are the pros and cons?

Is milk really all that bad? A lot of guys who are hard gainers are advised to drink a gallon of milk a day. However milk has been getting a lot of flak lately in the news... what are thoughts about it? :icon_biggrin:

ArnoldS

ArnoldS

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I drink a little milk daily, mostly skim but a gallon a day seems highly unhealthy to me.

BigHulk

BigHulk

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Is it true that milk actually it's not good for bone for some reason related to the body producing calcium?

DECATEST

DECATEST

Milk is very good, doesn't matter you want to gain or loose weight, there are plenty of essential amino acids and vitamins, even if you want to cut you can drink skimmed milk. In news we can see a lot of different opinions about any type of food, but everyone has to decide himself what is good for him. Cup of hot milk before bed time promoting natural sleep, because it contains amino acid called tryptophan.

J

japanesewaterbottle

Whole, full-fat milk, preferably raw, is essentially good for you. It can give you a ton of calories at once, so it's great for bulking up. I wouldn't drink a lot of it when cutting, though.

Vickeree

Vickeree

I see a lot of flak and disturbing negative effects reported in the news and articles on the web about processed commercial cow's milk. I guess the best way is to go organic and raw. Can anyone recommend a good brand?

KaiGold

KaiGold

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I see a lot of flak and disturbing negative effects reported in the news and articles on the web about processed commercial cow's milk. I guess the best way is to go organic and raw. Can anyone recommend a good brand?
Stonyfeild is good.

J

japanesewaterbottle

Stonyfeild is good.

You could always go local. Fresh, raw milk is better than the ones you can get from the supermarket.

T

teamuscle

I have mixed feelings about milk. One time I went to a nutritionist and she told me that the milk that I may be drinking may be the cause of an internal fungus infection or something like that. I know that milk can be something that is good for you, but lately I have been doing my best to limit the amount that I am drinking just so that I can be on the safe side.

C

cybrsage

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I am lactose intolerant, so that limits my milk choices. I us Lactaid brand milk and almond milk.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
Vickeree

Vickeree

What bothers me is how a lot of people even nutritionists and doctors, recommend drinking soy milk as something super healthy when research has shown that it can elevate your estrogen and mess up your testosterone! I used to drink commercial milk every day but has since stopped and only drink them once in a while, the only noticeable effect I experienced was my skin cleared up and don't get acne breakouts anymore. I use almond or coconut milk on my smoothies and shakes tho...

Charlie

Charlie

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
When I do drink milk I drink skimmed but I would much rather have coconut milk.

111kg

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Guys, talk to any doctor. As an adult, you don't get to absorb any Calcium from milk, not to say that the more you age, the more you become lactose intolerant. I wouldn't advise anyone to drink milk. Yes, it's not harmful, but it's not as good as we are told.

KingArcher

KingArcher

I can't think of a moment where milk wouldn't be a good choice. During a cut, low fat milk can offer protein without filling you without too many calories and while bulking, high fat milk is amazingly easy to snack on. While a gallon of milk might not be the healthiest thing to drink everyday (think of all the gas), in moderation, milk is a wonder-food.

C

cybrsage

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I read that using milk instead of water in your protein mix can slow down its absorption. Is this true? I cannot use Casein (too much lactose) or Whey Concentrate (again, too much lactose), so I use Whey Isolate, which is a fast digesting protein source. If I add milk to the mix, can I slow down the absorption rate (for when I go to bed, as an example, so it processes longer).

Benoit W

Benoit W

Thе rеаsоning in suppоrt оf milk is thаt in its rаw fоrm it is а соmplеtе nutritivе sоurсе, prоviding аlmоst еquаl pаrts prоtеin, fаt, аnd саrbоhydrаtеs, аs wеll аs plеnty оf саlсium аs iсing оn thе саkе. Sоmе wоuld sаy it’s rеlаtivеly nаturаl sinсе wе drаnk mоthеr’s milk аs bаbiеs, but thе аmоunt оf prосеssing mоdеrn milk gоеs thrоugh lеаvеs it in а fаr frоm nаturаl stаtе.

Оn thе flipsidе, оnе оf thе biggеst rеаsоns yоu wоuld wаnt tо еxсludе milk frоm yоur diеt is if yоu аrе еithеr аllеrgiс tо саsеin оr lасtоsе intоlеrаnt:

Саsеin is оnе оf thе prоtеins in milk аnd hаs а similаr struсturе tо glutеn. Mаny оppоnеnts оf milk suggеst саsеin hаs thе sаmе еffесts оn оur guts tо thоsе оf glutеn, dеstrоying оur intеstinаl lining аnd саusing аutоimmunе disеаsеs (аnd nоt just in сеliас individuаls). Symptоms оf саsеin аllеrgy inсludе nаsаl аnd sinus соngеstiоn; skin rаshеs; swеlling оf thе mоuth, fасе, аnd thrоаt; аnd аnаphylаxis in mоrе еxtrеmе саsеs. Sоmе pеоplе аrе аlsо аllеrgiс tо thе оthеr prоtеin in milk, whеy, аnd еxpеriеnсе similаr symptоms.

R

rajeshbody11

Well, I don't know the cons any but I do know about many benefits. Milk is a good source of calcium that is essential for muscles and bones. It also a good source of Vitamin D. Milk can strengthen our bones. It is beneficial for our heart, bones, skin, etc. So, milk is actually beneficial for you.

Last edited:
Fitspired

Fitspired

I used to drink milk everyday. Back when I was younger, I loved milk and every milk product out there. It was different then because I was younger and my body doesn't easily gain as much weight. I can even binge eat white bread with tons of cream cheese in it and not gain any fat from it. When you get older though, your body changes as well. I guess your metabolism changes too which makes it difficult to eat anything you want.

Now, I don't even drink milk anymore. I mean, yes, once in a while, but not everyday. I am trying to lose some weight right now because I gained so much by not controlling what I ate. And milk is out of the equation as it can really add in the calories. Even milk-derived products are out of the question.

I've also read that calcium from milk cannot be absorbed by an adult's body unless you exercise. So I guess there's nothing wrong with drinking it if you're very active and workout. I am active but I just don't need the excess calories right now.

G

Goodman

Sоmе studiеs hаvе shоwn thаt соnsuming yоgurt mаy hеlp pеоplе whо hаvе sоmе sоrt оf sеxuаl hеаlth prоblеm, suсh аs sеxuаl impоtеnсy, lоw libidо, еtс. Yоu shоuld еаt yоgurt with sugаr bеfоrе еvеry mеаl tо inсrеаsе yоur bоdy fаt. It асtuаlly wоrks аs аphrоdisiас аnd оffеrs sеvеrаl sеxuаl hеаlth rеlаtеd bеnеfits.

C

cardinals27

I think that dairy products are good to a certain extent. I don't recommend staying away from them.