• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Motivation?

J

Jesse93

When I was away at university, I had a great workout routine and actually looked forward to working out. Then I moved home and was busy adjusting and unpacking and I fell out of my routine. Now I find it really hard to find the motivation to work out. What are some good ways to get motivated and get back into my routine of working out?

butterfly1

butterfly1

One of the ways that I get motivated is by having an accountability partner. My accountability partner checks in to make sure that I have hit my weekly goals for working out. Not wanted to have to look like a loser motivates me to kick some butt in the gym.

BigHulk

BigHulk

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Music works for me and women.

S

Salkoazer

Motivation is tricky, because if you go with external motivators then eventually you will stop feeling motivated i.e. you go to the gym to look better to women, as soon as you find a girlfriend/wife your motivation dies. If you go because your buddy also goes, if he stops going you lose your motivation.

The secret is to find a few internal motivators.
Ask yourself, why should I go to the gym?
Health, strength, aesthetics, improved mood, improved discipline, etc.
Find a few reasons and really try to buy into the notion that not going is retarded.
That's what works for me at least.

C

cwright55

This is a great thread. I constantly get revved up and ready to go, but the moment I get derailed it can last more than just a couple of days. Consistency is really the only way through!

Lewriter

Lewriter

Get your sportswear on! Dressing helps your get in tune for what's coming.

Create a personal reward for yourself. Every time you achieve your goals, give yourself a little taste of that special something. A good chocolate, perhaps. Eventually, your brain will want to incur in the process that leads you to the reward (i.e. going to the gym).

Identifies the size you really want to have and use your clothing as a realistic indicator to ponder how much you need to achieve, as well as showing-off such clothes as a direct reward.

Think of yourself as an athlete; keep your aims clear and achievable in the short term instead of setting long-term goals and objectives without intermediate steps.

Invite a friend! Going to the gym with a friend is often fun and can help you sustain the motivation you need to continue exercising.

WizardX

WizardX

It seems that you don't watch body building videos anymore. Videos can motivate you to get back to your daily routine. Friends can also motivate you if you can accompany them whenever they go to the gym. You should also have a timetable so that you can be able to manage your time.

Fortachon

Fortachon

I personally think that it's going to come back the same way it left, yes, that's right, suddenly. It as happened to me a couple of times, sometimes I just want to stay at home and do nothing, then I get some motivation out of nowhere and head to the park to do some bars, you just have to find your motivation, it may come by itself, but you still have to seek for it.

C

Clair02

Music works for me and women.
I agree that you have to find your big 'Why' otherwise it's really easy to give up and drift away from your goal.

C

cardinals27

A couple of things work for me. The best is probably someone that will workout with me. Someone else is probably the best motivation I have ever had. Also music will work pretty well but if you are extremely unmotivated it doesn't work most of the time. Also just think about why you are doing what you are doing and it will help get motivated.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
C

Clair02

Someone just asked a similar question in another thread, and my answer remains the same. Only you can motivate yourself to go through with your workouts and achieve your goals. No one else can do it for you, not in the long term anyway. Find your big reason why you want to achieve your fitness goal and think about that constantly. That will help keep you inspired to do the right things to take you to the completion of your goal.

Fortachon

Fortachon

You'resomewhat wrong since I've been motivated by other people before, it all depends on what kind of motivation you're talking about.

Z

zonemik

The two things that people talked about is music and an accountable partner. In my opinion, both of these things can help you gain motivation. These two are the best tools. Music is really an amazing tool to increase motivation.

Alexandoy

Alexandoy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
According to those guys in the gym, their motivation lies in the gym considering the equipment and their colleagues doing workouts. The venus is like a stimulant that makes them excited for the workout. Another reason for being motivated is the thought that a muscled body is admired aside from looking good with a good health. Doing a workout alone is boring and more tedious that's why the cost of the gym is worth it when it comes to motivation. Exercise together and get new friends.

KaiGold

KaiGold

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I workout by myself usually but music is a good motivation for me.

CRobin

CRobin

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I have a routine which usually gets me going. Pre workout meal or shake watch body building motivation videos then pre workout supplement while continuing to watch said videos usually either motivation or kai Greene videos as his advice really mentally prepares me to focus on individual muscles and mess around with your play list. Some days I'm feeling some 80s punk rock and sometimes I need some Garth Brooke's to get going and some times it's Metallica haha take the hour before your workout just as serious as the actual workout itself and create your own routine so you feel pumped and prepared and energized each and every time + if you drink a preworkout out in the afternoon and don't make it to the gym good luck getting any sleep haha that's motivation as well!

CRobin

CRobin

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Just to add a bit more the gym is a wonderful thing because it allows you to set and achieve personal goals. Do this for you let this be your time to accomplish your goals. Not your works goals not your partners goals yours and yours alone it's great when you think about it to actually witness your goals being achieved daily

P

Pharmacom

Traning partner is good idea

johnjohn

johnjohn

I'm one of those guys who has the headphones on jamming to my best work out play list. I get into the zone better that way. I see some guys come in with work out partners but there not the kind you see in the more hard core gyms. There really not pushing each other more or less just talking. My gym is more laid back with a lot of old people lol.

to7update

to7update

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Well, motivation comes from the training partners sure, but mostly from within. Many times I compete with myself, trying to do better than in the previous day. Sometimes I just can't of course. :)