Hi, is this your first visit to MuscleMecca?
Register
  • The Facebook Platform

How to change calf muscle?

I like abdominal muscle very much,but I don't like calf muscle. I am worried about that and I want to improve this situation. I exercise a lot but the outcome is not so satisfying. What should i do?Can you give me some suggestions? Thanks!

Similar Bodybuilding Threads:

Last edited by TalkAdmin; 06-26-2015 at 01:04 AM.

•   bodybuilding Post Icon
      MuscleMecca Sponsors

MuscleMecca Bodybuilding advertising
      MuscleMecca.com
      Your Bodybuilding,
      Diet, Nutrition and Fitness,
      Steroids, Testosterone and Bodybuilding Chemical,
      Muscle Building Community

Support MuscleMecca Bodybuilding Forums and Visit Our Muscle Sponsors

Height

Weight

Biceps

Chest

Waist

Re: How to change calf muscle?

I'd recommend heavy weight calf raises. You're not alone, calves are the hardest muscle to grow for many people.

Hitting calves every other workout seems to do it quite well. Neglecting them and only working them out once a week won't show decent enough results but once you actually pay attention to them they can grow. Also, bodyweight calf raises are quite nice as well if you do 100 of them at once.

Height
    5'6"
    Weight
    180lbs
    Biceps
    Chest

Waist

You really can't change the shape of your calves, if that is what you meant. Sadly, like everything else in bodybuilding, calves are largely genetic. The look of the calf depends a lot on where the muscle heads attach on your leg.
    What you CAN do is try to increase the size of the muscle by training in an optimum way.

This is the routine that Lyle McDonald recommends and seems to be working fine for me:

A straight legged calf exercise: 5 sets of 5 done in the following fashion. From a dead 2 second pause, explode up, squeeze for 1 second at the top, 3 second eccentric (for tempo freaks, this would be written X/1/3/2: explosive concentric, 1 second squeeze at the top, 3 second negative, 2 second pause at the bottom). Take 3 minutes between sets and GO HEAVY. When you get all 5 sets of 5, add weight at the next workout. The gastroc is fast twitch, it responds to heavy loads. The explosive concentric out of the pause will maximize tension, the squeeze makes sure that youíre controlling the weight, the slow eccentric is critical for growth. Note: be careful on the pause, donít overstretch the calves or you can give yourself plantar fascitis. But donít cut range of motion either. You want some stretch on the calves, donít try to drop your heels as far as possible.

Follow that up with: A bent-knee calf raise: 3-4 sets of 8-10 done in the following fashion. From a 2 second pause, take 2 seconds to squeeze the weight up, brief pause at the top, 2 second eccentric (so 2/1/2/2). 60-90 seconds rest and use as much weight as you can in good form, you may have to drop weight after each set due to fatigue. Being slow-twitch, the soleus will respond to longer sets and more of a fatigue stimulus. This should hurt like hell.

Been doing this for 16 weeks now and there have been significant changes. Other than that, you could always just get fat and lose weight. Curious to see what others do for their calves too.

Height

Weight

Biceps

Chest

Waist

I think that calf raises are the best workout in order to increase calves. I know a lot of people that have very small calves and I was fortunate enough to have been born with very big ones. Unfortunately, I know that this is not the case for everyone and that makes it hard for some people as calves are truly some of the hardest muscles to gain mass with.

Height

Weight

Biceps

Chest

Waist

Quote Originally Posted by KingArcher View Post
    Hitting calves every other workout seems to do it quite well. Neglecting them and only working them out once a week won't show decent enough results but once you actually pay attention to them they can grow.
    Totally agree. Once a week is nothing for the calves.

I would not say once every other day in a fixed form. I'm more inclined to give the muscle time to recover, but never more than what it needs (or it becomes lazy)

In my case, I like to keep a tight control regarding specific days for large muscle groups. My exception are the calves and abdominals. When it comes to these two, my rule is working them out as many times a week as possible, always while respecting their recovery time.

...If the muscle does not hurt, it is scheduled for training today!

• MuscleMecca Sponsors

MuscleMecca Bodybuilding advertising
      MuscleMecca.com
      Your Muscle Building,
      Power Lifting, Weight Training
      Steroids, Testosterone and Bodybuilding Chemical,
      Bodybuilding Forum

We stand behind our bodybuilding products and assure QUALITY

collapse Posting Permissions