• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Bodybuilders in wrestling

T

Tommy

I thought id start a thread on former body builders who became pro wrestlers.John Cena started off training for his pro card before going to OVW. Batista competed, before going on to win five world titles. Chris Masters, Ultimate warrior and sting are just a few who did both. Can anybody name me a few others?

F

Fozz

Scott Steiner, maybe? I think more often than not, WWE superstars start off in some form of bodybuilding. Whether it's pro or amateur.

nusster

nusster

Scott Steiner, maybe? I think more often than not, WWE superstars start off in some form of bodybuilding. Whether it's pro or amateur.

Scott Steiner was an amateur wrestler before WWE I believe. I think I remember hearing somewhere that Cesaro was going for a bodybuilding career before he went to US and became a WWE wrestler. He does have crazy lifts though.

John Cena was bodybuilder before WWE, that's for sure, but I think he only used it to get noticed by the WWE and so that he can improve his career chances there. I think his work ethic comes from that bodybuilding background.

G

gats

Many pro wrestlers train just like bodybuilders anyway but the difference is that they still need acting skills, charisma and a decent level of athelticism to pull off stunts.

R

rz3300

Banned
Scott Steiner was the first name that came to mind, but I did not know that John Cena had a body building background. I cannot say that I am really surprised or anything, because he is certainly a very fit and cut guy, so it makes sense, but I just thought that I would have heard something about it by now. I am sure that there are others, just maybe not the mainstream ones that we all know. Both are professions that take a high time dedication, so it is probably difficult to do both. Thanks for sharing.

Alexandoy

Alexandoy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Yeah, way to go for bodybuilders now. One thing going for them is the love of muscles in wrestling. As I had posted in another thread, what is wrestling without the muscles? And bodybuilders have that asset so why waste it in displaying for the camera when they can use their muscles to earn more money inside the ring. I understand of the injuries involved in wrestling that’s why not all bodybuilders accede to fighting. But it cannot be denied that bodybuilders are the main prospects of WWE. Can you imagine a fight in the ring between Arnold Schwarzenegger versus Lou Ferrigno? That would be the day.

P

pwarbi

Obviously wrestlers in the WWE have to have a certain amount of power, so I would imagine that a lot of them would start off with some bodybuilding or power lifting background to start off with. These days though, those who want to be successful need a lot more than that and they not only have to be strong but also physically fit, supple and fast. As we have said before, WWE is an entertainment rather than a sport so as well as all what I've already mentioned, the wrestlers need to have some charisma and be able to appeal to the public so just being strong and in good shape isn't enough.

I'm sure that when a person gets chosen to compete in WWE, the selectors will look at more than just what sort of shape the wrestler is in as they will also look at what sort of publicity they can also generate because wrestling and especially the WWE is a business afterall.

Heatman

Heatman

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Bobby Lashley, Brock Lesner, Masterpiece, Shelton Benjamin, John Cena, etc.

These are my favorite WWE superstars who are into bodybuilding well.

Folk Artist

Folk Artist

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
There have been quite of few muscle builders that have crossed over to the WWE in the past. A few include Aksana - she was just a teenager when she began competing as a professional bodybuilder. Another was a guy named Ivan Putski(polish hammer) that had a good physique as well. Don't forget about The Great Khali as well.

Alexandoy

Alexandoy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Let me add my personal observation of WWE wrestlers. Brock Lesnar seems to be a unique character with his bulging muscles and his poker face. To me, what made him unique is his winning the UFC heavyweight fights which were not ordinary. And to think that he had to wrestle with colon cancer, I guess that is a great achievement to recover from his ailment.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
Heatman

Heatman

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
There have been quite of few muscle builders that have crossed over to the WWE in the past. A few include Aksana - she was just a teenager when she began competing as a professional bodybuilder. Another was a guy named Ivan Putski(polish hammer) that had a good physique as well. Don't forget about The Great Khali as well.

The Great Khali really is a very huge and tall man. His size is so big that it strikes fear into the hearts of any opponent he is faced with. It's been a long time since he featured in the WWE, I really like him so much.

Hova

Hova

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I only remember Billy Graham. I don't think I can recall other bodybuilders who became wrestlers.