• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

A little advice for a newbe

T

Tommy

Im 22 and ive recently signed up to a class to train as a professional wrestler. Ive played football since my early teens so i know the weightsroom but i need to train like a bodybuilder now if im to have any chance of making it. If anybody has advice that would be great

X

xenochristramu

First of all, make sure your training is on point. I'd suggest picking up a decent program with good accessories. Something like starting strength but with added accessories like curls, triceps work and more volume on upper body. If you have a program that you follow while wrestling, you could do that.

Nutrition is where it is at. The training is just the stimulus, food is the raw material. And since this is the nutrition sub forum, I'll base my advice on that. You should start counting macros and calories. Go to iifym.com and calculate your caloric TDEE and daily needs for protein, carbs and fats based on your activity. You'd probably wanna gain some weight to gain strength, so eat at a SLIGHT caloric surplus, say, 250 kcal extra per day over your TDEE. Try to eat healthier stuff if you want to live longer and healthier, but if you strictly just want to get bigger and stronger, you could eat anything as long as it fits your macros. Pizzas, burgers, ice creams, what ever. I wouldn't suggest that. I'd say eat most of the days food in healthier, cleaner stuff and then eat a cereal or an ice cream here and there. But, that's just me.

And make sure you get plenty of sleep. 7-8+ hours a day.

C

coolyfrost

As xenochristramu said above, nutrition should be your main concern. You can train as much as you want but if what you eat and the amount that you eat isn't on point you are not going to optimize your gains. Make sure you are getting a calorie surplus of around 250-500 calories and gradually increase your daily caloric content if you feel you should be eating more to gain more mass. All of your muscle development happens not when you are awake or training but yes when you are sleeping, so make sure to sleep an adequate amount of hours each day. Also, make sure to drink plenty of water, as that is also very important for muscle growth.

Z

zonemik

Well, you said you have been a professional wrestler for many years. I think that is a good thing. You already have some experience. So, you have a great chance of turning yourself into a bodybuilder. Just go for it.

D

Decentlady

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Congratulations on joining an adventurous sport. Indeed, it will take lots of dedication, time, a balanced diet and hard work outs to reach your goal. Since, you have been an athlete before it is needless to say that in any profession a discipline and a routine is mandatory. While you watch out for your diet and fitness, do not forget that waking up early, getting good amount of sleep,drinking plenty of water and breathing exercises forms the core of tissue recovery after every workout.