• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Rare amazing pics of Flex Wheeler 10-12 weeks out the Arnold '98

underbody

underbody

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Rare amazing pics of Flex Wheeler 10-12 weeks out the Arnold '98 (Thanks to Chad Nicholls - made with Polaroid)

680 932640243471043 9028919415444211214 n 1487253 932640253471042 933924088588624682 n 1936823 932640186804382 3559335036974533606 n 10172823 932640263471041 3977841132108742311 n 12373228 932640183471049 3179952702738040799 n 12373299 932640193471048 6298335881388003536 n

Last edited by a moderator:
underbody

underbody

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
From Chad

I've always wanted to post these pics, but never had them scanned in. This is old school back when we were doing everything through snail mail with actual photos (Polaroids)! The pics in the black trunks are 12 weeks out from the '98 Arnold. I remember when I first received them I called Flex and told him that I wasn't sure we would make it. He told me he'd follow everything to a "T" and to have faith. I did and the photos in the blue trunks were literally taken 2 weeks later - I remember when I got them - I thought I had never seen anyone's physique transition like that in 2 weeks time. I went from thinking we were going to struggle to get in shape, to realizing I was about to be a part of something extremely special. We all know now that Flex went on to win the '98 Arnold and, in my opinion, that was one of the most beautiful physiques to grace a stage.

ArmStrong

ArmStrong

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Good shots of Flex.

pakiman

pakiman

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
This sport of ours is really a story of haves and have nots _ odd as it may sound but in BBing hard work will only get you so far! At the top level you are going to run into genetic freaks. Flex was the most gifted of them all.

Originally Posted by BALCO Laboratories, Inc.
October 1, 1998

Re: Flex Wheeler

To whom it may concern:

I am writing this letter per the request of Flex Wheeler.

I would first like to briefly provide you with some background information regarding BALCO Laboratories. BALCO has been working with elite Olympic and professional athletes for over fifteen years. BALCO has provided testing and consultation for over 250 NFL players including the entire 1998 Super Bowl Champion Denver Broncos team and the entire Miami Dolphins team. BALCO works with professional athletes in many sports including teenis (Michael Chang, Jim Courier, etc.), hockey, bodybuilding (10 of the 16 1998 Mr. Olympia contestants), track and field, soccer and basketball (Seattle SuperSonics).

BALCO Laboratories has been testing and monitoring Flex on a routine basis during the last year. We have performed tests including blood chemistry (SMAC), complete blood count (CBC), PSA, anabolic hormone levels, genotyping as well as comprehensive testing for nutritional elements. Flex's test results have been compared to twenty-four other professional bodybuilders and overall he has one of the healthiest profiles. Basically, Flex is in excellent health and has demonstrated the discipline necessary to maintain a peak level of conditioning.

Flex was a participant in a study we recently conducted in collaboration with the Department of Human Genetics at the University of Pittsburgh involving 62 men who made unusually large gains in muscle mass in response to strength training (extreme responders). Flex was one of only nine extreme responders that had the very rare "myostatin mutation." Myostatin is the gene that "limits muscle growth." Specifically, Flex had the rarest form of myostatin mutation at the "exon 2" position on the gene. This simply means Flex has a much larger number of muscle fibers compared to the other subjects or the normal population. We believe that these are the very first myostatin mutation findings in humans and the results of this landmark study have already been submitted for publication. Flex was also found to have a very unusual type of the IGF-1 gene. In fact, Flex was the only participant in the study that did not have a "match." All of the other extreme responders had at least three other subjects with a matching IGF-1 gene. Based upon Flex's very unique genetic profile, we plan to expeditiously publish a scientific paper that reveals his complete genotype in specific detail. The publication of his remarkable genetic data should generate an enormous amount of media exposure.

Hope this information will be helpful and please call if I can be of assistance.

Sincerely,

/s/ Victor Conte
Victor Conte
President
BALCO Laboratories, Inc.

pakiman

pakiman

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Milos reveals a few secrets about Nasser el Sonbaty, Flex Wheeler and some of the 'supplements' used to get Pro's to blow up

underbody

underbody

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Rare Camcorder Footage of the 1998 Arnold Schwarzenegger Classic.
Flex weighed in at a ripped 232-238 pounds. Many experts say this was Flex Wheeler's all time best.The lighting is not great like in 1993 but people that were there said Flex looked his most defined. Arnold Schwarzenegger at the time said this was the best physique ever on a bodybuilding

underbody

underbody

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
This sport of ours is really a story of haves and have nots _ odd as it may sound but in BBing hard work will only get you so far! At the top level you are going to run into genetic freaks. Flex was the most gifted of them all.

October 1, 1998

To whom it may concern:

I would first like to briefly provide you with some background information regarding BALCO Laboratories. BALCO has been working with elite Olympic and professional athletes for over fifteen years. BALCO has provided testing and consultation for over 250 NFL players including the entire 1998 Super Bowl Champion Denver Broncos team and the entire Miami Dolphins team. BALCO works with professional athletes in many sports including teenis (Michael Chang, Jim Courier, etc.), hockey, bodybuilding (10 of the 16 1998 Mr. Olympia contestants), track and field, soccer and basketball (Seattle SuperSonics).

BALCO Laboratories has been testing and monitoring Flex on a routine basis during the last year. We have performed tests including blood chemistry (SMAC), complete blood count (CBC), PSA, anabolic hormone levels, genotyping as well as comprehensive testing for nutritional elements. Flex's test results have been compared to twenty-four other professional bodybuilders and overall he has one of the healthiest profiles. Basically, Flex is in excellent health and has demonstrated the discipline necessary to maintain a peak level of conditioning.

Flex was a participant in a study we recently conducted in collaboration with the Department of Human Genetics at the University of Pittsburgh involving 62 men who made unusually large gains in muscle mass in response to strength training (extreme responders). Flex was one of only nine extreme responders that had the very rare "myostatin mutation." Myostatin is the gene that "limits muscle growth." Specifically, Flex had the rarest form of myostatin mutation at the "exon 2" position on the gene. This simply means Flex has a much larger number of muscle fibers compared to the other subjects or the normal population. We believe that these are the very first myostatin mutation findings in humans and the results of this landmark study have already been submitted for publication. Flex was also found to have a very unusual type of the IGF-1 gene. In fact, Flex was the only participant in the study that did not have a "match." All of the other extreme responders had at least three other subjects with a matching IGF-1 gene. Based upon Flex's very unique genetic profile, we plan to expeditiously publish a scientific paper that reveals his complete genotype in specific detail. The publication of his remarkable genetic data should generate an enormous amount of media exposure.[/FONT]

Hope this information will be helpful and please call if I can be of assistance.

Sincerely,

/s/ Victor Conte
Victor Conte
President
BALCO Laboratories, Inc.
Thank you very much for posting this document!

underbody

underbody

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Thanks for posting!
I saw this amazing video, on rxmuscle some years ago when dave palumbo went to fibo power.

Mountain-Man

Mountain-Man

Great pics and thread

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
underbody

underbody

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
from youtube description video:

"Rare Camcorder Footage of the 1998 Arnold Schwarzenegger Classic.
Flex weighed in at a ripped 232-238 pounds. Many experts say this was Flex Wheeler's all time best.The lighting is not great like in 1993 but people that were there said Flex looked his most defined. Arnold Schwarzenegger at the time said this was the best physique ever on a bodybuilding stage.
A rare look at the contest that brought possibly the most aesthetic pro bodybuilder of all time with his most complete physique in his career. Flex was 218 at the 1993 ASC and by his own account was 238 here. The magazines had him at 232. In 1993 his torso was a bit light compared to his arms. With the added muscle he is near bodybuilding perfection here."

could be interesing...

underbody

underbody

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Arnold's Rock and Roll Bodybuilding highlights the 1998 Arnold Classic. Many experts consider this to be Flex Wheeler's best showing ever.
Unfortunately, the TV lighting is not ideal for physique display and it was converted to DVD some 12 years later. Pictures and video are rare for this pivotal contest so enjoy it for what it is; an older grainy VCR tape on Youtube.

KaiGold

KaiGold

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP

October 1, 1998

To whom it may concern:

Flex was a participant in a study we recently conducted in collaboration with the Department of Human Genetics at the University of Pittsburgh involving 62 men who made unusually large gains in muscle mass in response to strength training (extreme responders). Flex was one of only nine extreme responders that had the very rare "myostatin mutation." Myostatin is the gene that "limits muscle growth." Specifically, Flex had the rarest form of myostatin mutation at the "exon 2" position on the gene. This simply means Flex has a much larger number of muscle fibers compared to the other subjects or the normal population. We believe that these are the very first myostatin mutation findings in humans and the results of this landmark study have already been submitted for publication. Flex was also found to have a very unusual type of the IGF-1 gene. In fact, Flex was the only participant in the study that did not have a "match." All of the other extreme responders had at least three other subjects with a matching IGF-1 gene. Based upon Flex's very unique genetic profile, we plan to expeditiously publish a scientific paper that reveals his complete genotype in specific detail. The publication of his remarkable genetic data should generate an enormous amount of media exposure.

Sincerely,

/s/ Victor Conte
Victor Conte
President
BALCO Laboratories, Inc.
To be born with genetics like that. Your right bro.. What a gift.

underbody

underbody

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
efabe72269d132940dab505f574a0394-1.jpg

Flex Wheeler today!