• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

What's supplements real function in our bodies?

Fortachon

Fortachon

Well, the title explains it all, I would like to know the real functions of the supplements on out body because I've been asked that a couple of times and I always say these help us grow muscle on an easier way, I know I am somewhat wrong and that's why I would like to know the real explanation.

C

Clair02

My dad always used to say that you don't really understand something unless you can explain it to a five year old so that they understand. I have never thought about this before, I just assumed I knew what the functions were until I had to try and explain it. The word 'supplement' means 'something added' and this just means that your dietary supplements are there to help you get enough of the vitamins and minerals that you may not get enough of from your diet.

That's the best I can do, but I can't wait to see how others explain it.

to7update

to7update

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
The effect of supplements in our bodies depend on what supplement we are talking about. Let's say for example ZMA, this needs to be taken at night with the empty stomach in order to cause the best reaction in the body. If we do it in the morning after breakfast it won't have the same effect.

B

biege

Supplements are what we take to supply enough vitamin, mineral, protein, and other chemicals the human needs to grow on top of what we normally eat. Of course, the chemicals and multi nutrients we get from food are not enough for our daily body needs that's why man created supplements to sustain or provide added value to what we normally take.

P

pwarbi

Supplements are just a way of adding to the vitamins in our body that we get from our usual food intake. Our body needs a certain amount of vitamins to work properly, and those vitamins come from what we eat most of the time and even the sun, and it's only when we aren't getting the required amount that we need that we then have to look at other ways of boosting the intake and that's why we use supplements. All they do is add the extra amount of vitamins that we are lacking, and while I have taken them in the past, especially for a lack of vitamin D, I haven't noticed too much difference to my daily life by using them.

Many people use supplements but they shouldn't rely on them as the only vitamins they have, and they are designed to work with the food we eat, rather than be a replacement and be the only vitamins that we get, and I think a lot of people rely on them too much to be honest and think that just because they are taking supplements on a daily basis, they don't have to still eat healthily but that's not the case at all.

N

nflfan2016

Supplements are just a way of adding to the vitamins in our body that we get from our usual food intake. Our body needs a certain amount of vitamins to work properly, and those vitamins come from what we eat most of the time and even the sun, and it's only when we aren't getting the required amount that we need that we then have to look at other ways of boosting the intake and that's why we use supplements. All they do is add the extra amount of vitamins that we are lacking, and while I have taken them in the past, especially for a lack of vitamin D, I haven't noticed too much difference to my daily life by using them.

Many people use supplements but they shouldn't rely on them as the only vitamins they have, and they are designed to work with the food we eat, rather than be a replacement and be the only vitamins that we get, and I think a lot of people rely on them too much to be honest and think that just because they are taking supplements on a daily basis, they don't have to still eat healthily but that's not the case at all.
This

to7update

to7update

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Great post right there @pwarbi, you do a great job explaining how supplements work, but at the same time supplements are more than vitamins and some of them would not be supplied even if our foods were unpolluted and we had a balanced diet. So for a specific exercise we need specific supplements that will boost our performance during training and on the results of that training.

R

rz3300

Banned
Well I certainly agree with the users above about how it all depends on the body and the substance and how they are interacting, which can really vary when you throw all sorts of variables in there. The best course of action is just to do your research and know what you are putting into your body, and track how it responds.

T

Transarkglobal

Water-solvent vitamins travel uninhibitedly through the body, and abundance sums more often than not are discharged by the kidneys. The body needs water-solvent vitamins in regular, little dosages. These vitamins are not as likely as fat-dissolvable vitamins to achieve harmful levels. Be that as it may, niacin, vitamin B6, folate, choline, and vitamin C have upper utilization limits. Vitamin B6 at abnormal states over a drawn out stretch of time has been appeared to bring about irreversible nerve harm.

An adjusted eating routine for the most part gives enough of these vitamins. Individuals more seasoned than 50 and a few veggie lovers may need to utilize supplements to get enough B12.

to7update

to7update

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Water-solvent vitamins travel uninhibitedly through the body, and abundance sums more often than not are discharged by the kidneys. The body needs water-solvent vitamins in regular, little dosages. These vitamins are not as likely as fat-dissolvable vitamins to achieve harmful levels. Be that as it may, niacin, vitamin B6, folate, choline, and vitamin C have upper utilization limits. Vitamin B6 at abnormal states over a drawn out stretch of time has been appeared to bring about irreversible nerve harm.

An adjusted eating routine for the most part gives enough of these vitamins. Individuals more seasoned than 50 and a few veggie lovers may need to utilize supplements to get enough B12.

The fact it that there is much ignorance about vitamins intake. Let's take winter for example, if we take C complex vitamins we can be taking 1000 dosage of C vitamin more than if we took one orange, so this says a lot about how powerful these supplements can be and the impact they can have on our body.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
T

tpicks

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Supplements are substances will take to meet up our body nutrients demands were we are not able to get enough from our regular diets. I would subscribe to eating sufficient of natural sources to gain the necessary nutrients or if you can get a tested and proven good supplement for the body.

T

tpicks

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
If you take adequate diet and still lacking in some vital nutrients, then use of supplements become inevitable. Sometimes supplements are needed to add up to the nutrients from our regular diets. They ensure a higher boost of the nutrients for our body.

G

gospel

Supplements provide that extra boost which our bodies can benefit from. They supplement, as states the name. They should not replace the main source....

to7update

to7update

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
This is exactly the main issue @tpicks, if we have an adequate diet and even so we have problems, we need to resort to supplements. And this happens more and more commonly these days as the foods we have no longer provide enough nutrients. I think we should start seeing supplements in a different way. :beat:

If you take adequate diet and still lacking in some vital nutrients, then use of supplements become inevitable. Sometimes supplements are needed to add up to the nutrients from our regular diets. They ensure a higher boost of the nutrients for our body.

R

rz3300

Banned
I am sure there are a whole lot of different answers that you will get here. I would say that the best thing you can really do is listen to your body and do as much research as you can, but of course you cannot try everything. Start slow at least.

D

Decentlady

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Most has already been said. I will just add on why supplements should be taken on a monitored basis. Ideally, before embarking on a supplement program it is good to have them evaluated by lab/blood test. This way one can be sure which ones to take for actual benefit.

We iften tend to take things for granted and rush for a "multi" label. While some elements may not harm the body as such, to some susceptible individuals it may actually cause an overload like iron or copper overload and damage internal organs like liver.

It is also useful to see what use your supplements have been by a blood test post its use.

Another point to note is, there is something called Recommended Daily Allowance, that implies that such supplements are needed on daily basis for optimum body functions.

- - - Updated - - -

Most has already been said. I will just add on why supplements should be taken on a monitored basis. Ideally, before embarking on a supplement program it is good to have them evaluated by lab/blood test. This way one can be sure which ones to take for actual benefit.

We iften tend to take things for granted and rush for a "multi" label. While some elements may not harm the body as such, to some susceptible individuals it may actually cause an overload like iron or copper overload and damage internal organs like liver.

It is also useful to see what use your supplements have been by a blood test post its use.

Another point to note is, there is something called Recommended Daily Allowance, that implies that such supplements are needed on daily basis for optimum body functions.

- - - Updated - - -

G

gospel

Supplements, as is quite well-suggested in their name itself, only serve the main purpose of SUPPLEMENTING. They are not the basic element. They do help, though....

to7update

to7update

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
They are not the basic element sure, we need a balanced nutrition to have a good general health, but sometimes a supplement can make a huge difference, as foods these days don't offer all the nutrients we need.

G

goniva

Supplements are made to complement certain nutrients that we cannot get sufficiently from foods. Sometimes, we miss to eat food that is needed to replace the component that spent during the exercise. And if we already ate the food, the nutrients we get is still not enough to cover our needs.