• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Is it recommended to be a vegetarian?

• Thread starter Jasmin Cottontail
  • Start date
Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin Cottontail

Banned
I've known some people who are vegetarians and they seemed to be healthy. I know for a fact that eating vegetables are a good thing, however I'm thinking if how do vegetarians manage to have all the nutrients that their body needs since they don't eat meat and we need meat to acquire protein and same with other nutrients that we can't get from vegetables alone.

Working Buck

Working Buck

I'm not an expert on this but I do think you can get enough protein from broccoli but I'm not pretty sure since I just read it online. And yes, eating vegetables is healthy and I do think we can get what we need in vegetables alone. I am trying to cut off some meat in our diet for now and eating more veggies and fruits since I have read that it is much better and more healthy.

to7update

to7update

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
That's exactly the point, we need the protein that comes from the meat as vegetable don't provide enough of that. I am not saying we need a lot of it, but if we eat meat once per week, that just might be enough to satisfy the bodies need and have a balanced diet.

KaiGold

KaiGold

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
You need protein every day. I'm not sure that broccoli has any but you can get protein from nuts and some beans..

D

Decentlady

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
All essential nutrients can be obtained from various vegetables,fruits, lentils, grams and cereals plus dairy products etc except vitamin B12.

What is lacking is easily obtained via supplements in those who seek.

People have lived for years and enjoyed good health being a vegetarian, I see no problem whatsoever being a vegetarian.

Last edited:
to7update

to7update

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
It's a matter of opinion I believe. Like you say @decentlady, we can live OK being a vegetarian, but can we body build to our fullest being a vegetarian? Can muscles grow at the same speed? I don't think so.

D

Decentlady

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I don't see why muscles wouldn't grow at the same speed given the fact that most body builders are non vegetarians and yet have to take extra protein supplements to get the maximum benefit.

I don't see why a vegetarian can't do the same with protein supplement.

to7update

to7update

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I don't have that level of expertise to explain to you why not, but I do know that red meat protein has something that cannot be replicated by vegetables or supplements. You do make a good point, taking supplements could eventually be enough to be a bodybuilder.

D

Decentlady

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
My point is take for instance a movie star who also happens to be a veg and he is to build up for a movie as a wrestler. They do workout a lot to get into the natural character and build up quite significantly in a short while. How do you think that can happen without an external boost?

Changing diet to non veg is not an option for them. There are plenty of such people. So I feel the body respinds to the amount of efforts put in.

Growth of an organ depends on hormones, nutrition and exercise.

I think it is possible, don't you?

perfectionist

perfectionist

My point is take for instance a movie star who also happens to be a veg and he is to build up for a movie as a wrestler. They do workout a lot to get into the natural character and build up quite significantly in a short while. How do you think that can happen without an external boost?

Changing diet to non veg is not an option for them. There are plenty of such people. So I feel the body respinds to the amount of efforts put in.

Growth of an organ depends on hormones, nutrition and exercise.

I think it is possible, don't you?

Very well said. I am a vegetarian but not by birth. I was a non-vegetarian till 5-6 years back and then switched to vegetarian diet. During that time even though I looked healthy outside there were many healthy issues like cholesterol and BP. But I could manage it when I changed it to a vegetarian diet and that is without any medication.

I don't think it is necessary to be a non-veg to get necessary proteins to our body. Pulses are great source of protein and the best part about vegetables and fruits is that it contain a lot of fiber which is quite beneficial for us. Under a vegetarian diet it may take sometime to build a wonderful body but that would be long lasting. Meat doesn't have any fiber which makes it quite an unhealthy food.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
D

Dopeboy

Vegetarian diet is expensive for protein. Nuts are expensive.

P

ptahm22

Vegetarian diets are of different types, Lacto vegetarians don't eat meat but they take dairy products. Ovo vegetarians avoid other types of meat but they take eggs. Lacto Ovo vegetarians allow dairy products and eggs. Pescatarian vegetarians allow fish. Pollatarian vegetarians allow poultry. Vegans avoid all the products named above but I'm sure there are vegetables available with the same nutrients as meat and dairy products.

D

Decentlady

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Vegetarian diets are of different types, Lacto vegetarians don't eat meat but they take dairy products. Ovo vegetarians avoid other types of meat but they take eggs. Lacto Ovo vegetarians allow dairy products and eggs. Pescatarian vegetarians allow fish. Pollatarian vegetarians allow poultry. Vegans avoid all the products named above but I'm sure there are vegetables available with the same nutrients as meat and dairy products.

Very correctly put. Half of the terminologies I wasn't even aware of. Thanks for supplying that.

I guess people go for what suits them the best. Veg protein sources aren't restricted to nuts only.

Alexandoy

Alexandoy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Vegans claim to be healthier than non-vegans for the simple reason that meat is not good for the human body because of the bad cholesterol. Even some nutritionists are advising their patients to stay away from meat for a healthier lifestyle – chicken, pork, beef and other meat. But on the other hand, being a vegan will make you miss delicious meat dishes such as steak. For me, the key is moderation. As long as I eat in moderation then it is all right for me to eat anything. I’d rather live a short but enjoyable life than a longer but boring and bland life.

KaiGold

KaiGold

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Vegans claim to be healthier than non-vegans for the simple reason that meat is not good for the human body because of the bad cholesterol. Even some nutritionists are advising their patients to stay away from meat for a healthier lifestyle – chicken, pork, beef and other meat. But on the other hand, being a vegan will make you miss delicious meat dishes such as steak. For me, the key is moderation. As long as I eat in moderation then it is all right for me to eat anything. I’d rather live a short but enjoyable life than a longer but boring and bland life.
I used to be a vegetarian but now I eat clean but some chicken and fish and lots of veggies. I do not eat red meat any more.